Jun 06, 2018, 11:35 AM
I don't have experience with the older version. I thought they were both the same size?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2018, 02:57 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell shock 2
Would you say this plane is 1 scale smaller than the previous?
I 'm not sure if it's a 60 or a 50 size bird.
50.5!
It is exactly the same size as the previous H9 Hellcat (64" span) which is almost precisely 1/8th scale. The Hellcat was a BIG airplane and the model has a substantial amount of volume. It is definitely at least a 60 size model and I imagine most folks will be putting .90-1.20 size engines on it. Although a strong .60 size two stroke would be ample in my opinion.
Jun 06, 2018, 04:41 PM
Classic jets rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Engine is buttoned up.
what engine are you using? is it a DLE 20cc ? what size 3 blade prop are you using? it looks pretty good .
Jun 06, 2018, 09:28 PM
Evolution 20cc. 14x7 for starter prop
Jun 08, 2018, 12:23 PM
Fired up the engine last nite. Ran really good and pulled hard. I need to finish setting up the throws and going to decal and flat clear Saturday. Should be ready to fly in a few days
Jun 08, 2018, 04:46 PM
Scale Builder
I've been flying an Evolution 20cc gasser on my 1/8th scale Hellcat for several years now. Actually, I've had two of them on it. The first one was the original release without a pumped carburetor and I almost threw the thing off a cliff! Horizon replaced that engine for me with the new, pumped version once it became available. I bolted it on, fired it up, and have not touched it in several years worth of flying. It has proven to be a superb engine and I would buy another one without hesitation. I also ran a DLE 20 on my other Hellcat (the yellow one) which also proved to be a good engine. However, the Evolution swings a 16x10 harder than the DLE will swing a 16x8 so definitely more power. I also prefer the way the Evolution is set up for mounting and prefer the front carb to the rear carb of the DLE. Of course you will pay more for the Evolution but I think it's worth the asking price. My two cents only of course. I've got one of these new H9 Hellcats on order and can't wait to get my hands on it. Can't have too many Hellcats!
Jun 08, 2018, 05:33 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Nice, excuse me, Great looking Hellcats..!!
Jun 08, 2018, 06:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
Chad might be into Hell Cats
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 08, 2018, 08:49 PM
Those are awesome !
Jun 09, 2018, 07:45 AM
Whaaat......NO Flaps?? Didn't see them, hopefully I'm wrong! So here H9 produces another beautiful warbird and they failed not incorporating flaps! I don't understand? Also, why can't they incorporate a better tail wheel assembly? Other companies are and why not H9. Don't get me wrong I'm huge fan of H9 warbirds and love them!! I'll be watching your progress (CrashEMhard) great job by the way!
Jun 09, 2018, 08:08 AM
This is a stand off scale more budget friendly version. They are trying for a different market for us that want something simple
Jun 09, 2018, 08:11 AM
Paint booth time. Scuffed down. Degreased. Adding some decals then a round of flat clear. Just to shiney for me
Jun 09, 2018, 12:45 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Flaps could be a project of not too big of a task.. But scale split may be more time consuming.. Hmm..
Jun 09, 2018, 03:58 PM
Scale Builder
I've been looking over the manual and, assuming the wing construction is typical, I don't think adding the flaps would be too difficult. At least not for a set of sport-scale type flaps. The flaps on the full size have a few idiosyncrasies that make them complex but they could be much simplified for this model without detracting from the finished appearance. Same for adding a retractable tail wheel. I plan to offer some accessories to dress up the airplane. Just simple add-on stuff to begin with. However, if there is sufficient interest I may draw up the plans to add flaps and possibly offer the laser cut parts necessary to do the modification. Once I've actually got one of the airplanes in hand I will assess the amount of effort that would be required. May go ahead and order a spare wing set so I can make the flap mods and keep flying!

PS - Thanks for the kind words regarding my red/yellow Hellcats, much appreciated.
Jun 09, 2018, 03:59 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Paint booth time. Scuffed down. Degreased. Adding some decals then a round of flat clear. Just to shiney for me
Don't flatten it too much nappy. They don't call it "Glossy Sea Blue" for nothing!

Quick Reply