May 31, 2018, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

F6F Hellcat 15cc ARF sport scale (HAN2765)

Hello everyone. My name is Nick and myself and my brother Jeff will be showing everyone the first out in the public Hangar 9 F6F Hellcat 15cc ARF (HAN2765)

We will be building this and showing everyone how nice this bird really is. The covering on it is very quality. The whole build is going to be amazing, very simple and easy to build aircraft.

Along the way we will show some simple “ budget friendly” touches to add more scale and realism to this aircraft for a better look. Everyone will have a simple personal touch they can add. We won’t be going overboard, but showing what can be done with what is already supplied.

Our aircraft will be powered by using the following.

Evolution 20GX motor with supplied inverted wrap around muffler.
Spektrum A6150 servo on the elevator
Spektrum A6110 Servos on the rest of the controls.
Spektrum AR7350 AS3X receiver
Spektrum 6.6 4000 mah Life RX pack
Eflite electric rotating retracts
Eflite alum functional struts
Spektrum switches and extensions.
Robart scale wheels

Flown with a DX20.

We are excited to team up with Horizon Hobby on this opportunity. We are just your average everyday modelers and not payed by Horizon Hobby in anyway.
Last edited by crashEMhard; May 31, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2018, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
The 20cc is a beautiful engine and a wonderful fit. If a 15cc is a great engine to fly this, a 20cc has to be better right?
May 31, 2018, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Super nice construction. Very heavy duty pushrods and ample amount of room for any gear you need to add.
May 31, 2018, 07:27 PM
Any idea if a DLE20 would fit?
May 31, 2018, 07:34 PM
I don't see why a dle 20 wouldn't fit. Seems to be plenty of room but I don't have one laying around to check
May 31, 2018, 07:38 PM
Thank you!
May 31, 2018, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
DLE 20ís are small. It would fit really well and I donít think any would stick out maybe the plug and wire cap. I had a Hangar 9 Sbach 60 ARF with a DLE 20 lol it fit and was super powerful.
May 31, 2018, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
I haven’t glued on the canopy yet. But I added the little extra look to make the cockpit not stock. I made the seat out of scrap balsa. Made the headrest out of scrap balsa also. The pilot is stock. I repainted it some and added a few small details. I am not going for a Top Gun scale, just something fun. And through small window in a canopy it’s all not easy to see unless you look hard.

I removed the stock decal dash. As much as I love to make my own custom dash, this shows the creativeness of bringing back the dash into the cockpit about 3”. The dash was made from scrap balsa on the face and the top. Then I restuck the stock decal dash on the front. Over all it adds to the realism of the plane.

The rivets are drops of super glue. Paint is testors version of Zinc Chromate. The yoke is hand carved from dowel. The control levers are push pins. And I painted the inside of the canopy Zinc Chromate so that’s all you see when you look inside.

Could I have done better and more? YEP! But this is a fun semi scale warbird all done in my garage with materials I had laying around, using what was also supplied. That’s the fun of it! Use your creativity!
May 31, 2018, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Hangar 9® F6F Hellcat 15cc Sport Scale ARF (3 min 7 sec)
May 31, 2018, 10:23 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2

Jerry, this bird is exactly the same size as my Hellcat. My red airplane is Evo 20cc powered and the yellow one has a DLE20. Both engines fit in the cowl completely concealed including the in-cowl mufflers. I can't imagine that the cowl on the new H9 airplane could be too much different from that on my own airplane. Looks like I will be picking up one of these to see if I can make up a detail package for it to dress it up a bit more in the scale department. Looking forward to it!
May 31, 2018, 11:09 PM
That would be so cool!
Jun 01, 2018, 01:26 AM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
DLE 20ís are small. It would fit really well and I donít think any would stick out maybe the plug and wire cap.
I don't think anything will stick out with the DLE crashEM. The pic below is a 64" span Hellcat with a DLE20 and, as you can see, nothing is sticking out in the breeze. Unless Hangar9 really jacked up the cowl on their bird, which does not appear to be the case, then it will all go in there with ease. Looking forward to more progress on your build here. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Jun 01, 2018, 01:49 AM
Classic jets rule
Chad what prop are you using on the DLE 20 ? is that 3 blader just stactic scale size ?
i have a DLE20 laying around ...been looking for a home ...think i just found it
Jun 01, 2018, 04:21 AM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
Chad what prop are you using on the DLE 20 ? is that 3 blader just stactic scale size ?
i have a DLE20 laying around ...been looking for a home ...think i just found it

The three-blader is just for static AS. If memory serves I was running a 16X8 APC on the DLE20 in this airplane. I say "was" as the airplane has moved on to a new owner. I am running a 16X10 APC on the Evolution 20cc in my red Hellcat. The Evo pulls a bit harder than the DLE and I remember needing to drop the pitch down a bit on it to keep it happy. Both are great engines but the Evolution has been particularly sweet. Of course it costs a fair bit more too so it ought to do something better! My yellow Hellcat was around 11 pounds and the DLE was more than ample power. The new H9 airplane is probably going to come in at least a pound less than that so the DLE should really haul it around in fine fashion.
Jun 01, 2018, 10:12 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
There's a blup in the manual about using caution when running the 20cc so I think I'm gonna save mine for something else and use one of the smaller motors I have laying around. In fact, I've got a ASP 1.08 glow not doing anything and would fit well with the keep it simple, sport scale aspect. Might not even get the scale retract oleos.

Mike

Quick Reply