F-22 12" wingspan mpf build - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 31, 2018, 11:16 AM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Discussion

F-22 12" wingspan mpf build


Not sure where this should go really, it's sorta micro, not really indoor, more of a park flyer. I posted it in the Tomhe F-22 pusher jet thread (which it is based on) but it doesn't get many views there, maybe it's more appropriate here.

based on Tomhe F-22
wingspan 12" auw 2.25oz with lipo
AP05 motor 3.75x3 prop (changed to C10-2900)
6a esc
microRX3S stabilized dsmx rx or stabilized lemon with side connectors
180 mah 3s
5320 1.7gr servos
mpf foam
hand cut

The prototype had an unstabilized rx and tried various lipos, 2s 180-280 & 3s 180 mah. I liked the 3s 180 best. I test flew on a windy day and the auw 2.25oz jet was kinda like flying a kleenex tissue so I upgraded to a stabilized rx. The first video is of the maiden test flights with unstabilized rx, unbalanced lateralay, and various lipos. I post this so new scratchbuilders can see the trial and error process, failure is all part of it! The second video is the rev 1 with stabilized rx, lateral balance, and 3s 180 mah.

I was also testing a new hat cam iphone holder, it is a little high in the first vid and a little low in the second vid......converging soon! Also note that the video was captured, edited and uploaded all on iphone! That eliminated my old way of using a cam, loading in pc, editing and uploading.

I'm pleased with the wingloading, power system, and final lateral balance. Time to paint one up and add finishing touches!

Tomhe F-22 12” wingspan (9 min 44 sec)


improved Tomhe F-22 12” wingspan (4 min 23 sec)
Last edited by gatorb8; Jun 11, 2018 at 07:19 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2018, 12:59 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Well, having “modified” the nose on many F-22 jets in the past, decided to fix this one with a detachable nose cone
magnets and screws added 1 gr

back to the park for a test flight!
Last edited by gatorb8; May 31, 2018 at 07:27 PM.
May 31, 2018, 02:03 PM
treefinder
springer's Avatar
Hilarious maiden video! "We don't need those nose bits!" Congrats on getting her flying. The replaceable nose solves an ongoing problem for most of us as well.
May 31, 2018, 02:41 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Hilarious maiden video! "We don't need those nose bits!" Congrats on getting her flying. The replaceable nose solves an ongoing problem for most of us as well.
thanks springer, this has been a fun project!
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
May 31, 2018, 03:23 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8
Not sure where this should go really, it's sorta micro, not really indoor, more of a park flyer. I posted it in the Tomhe F-22 pusher jet thread (which it is based on) but it doesn't get many views there, maybe it's more appropriate here.

based on Tomhe F-22
wingspan 12" auw 2.25oz with lipo
ap05 motor 3.75x3 prop
6s esc
rx3sm stabilized rx
180 mah 3s
5320 1.7gr servos
mpf foam
hand cut
...
Neat airplane!
A question: "6s esc"? should that be "6a esc"?

A comment: "5320 1.7gr servos". If you want stronger servos, the "5330 1.9gr servos" are a lot stronger for not much more weight or cost.
May 31, 2018, 03:56 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
Neat airplane!
A question: "6s esc"? should that be "6a esc"?

A comment: "5320 1.7gr servos". If you want stronger servos, the "5330 1.9gr servos" are a lot stronger for not much more weight or cost.
6a yes, will fix!
had those servos on hand, will try 5330, thanks!
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
May 31, 2018, 05:49 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
she got some paint & graphics today so ready for prime time!
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
May 31, 2018, 05:56 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
the squadron
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
May 31, 2018, 08:26 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Blacky's Boy's Avatar
Nice!
Jun 01, 2018, 06:31 AM
Registered User
AlanFlorida's Avatar
Genius beyond your years young man!!!
Jun 01, 2018, 06:42 AM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida
Genius beyond your years young man!!!
ha ha! Thanks Alan! get building now that you have more free time!

(I neep to start a thread on the "micro Ernie pit wing"......
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jun 01, 2018, 09:26 AM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Just returned from the park and tested the detachable nose cone, held well!
Now that it is all balanced and dialed in, it actually flys very well in the wind.
Next rev will be with contoured and enclosed fuselage, full paint top and bottom.
May also test bigger motor and lipo to see if it will scream and still have light wing loading.
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jun 01, 2018, 04:41 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8
Just returned from the park and tested the detachable nose cone, held well!
....
Sounds great!
One thing I forgot to mention about detachable parts: you may want to add something (like tape? or bright paint) so that if it does detach (like on a crash), the part either still stays near the rest of the plane, or is easy to see on its own.
I had a plane with a detachable battery and "pod" (receiver, servos, motor, esc).
My problem was that when they did detach on a crash, the different parts would scatter, and some, being small and dark, would be hard to see on their own.
Jun 01, 2018, 05:54 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
Sounds great!
One thing I forgot to mention about detachable parts: you may want to add something (like tape? or bright paint) so that if it does detach (like on a crash), the part either still stays near the rest of the plane, or is easy to see on its own.
I had a plane with a detachable battery and "pod" (receiver, servos, motor, esc).
My problem was that when they did detach on a crash, the different parts would scatter, and some, being small and dark, would be hard to see on their own.
Yes, good advise !
I learned long ago to always leave a marker at the crash site, so when I get back to the pit and say “oh, where’s the ????”, I can go back to the crash site and find it! I remember losing a prop off a umx radian once in flight, followed the plane to the ground, never found the prop! Next time I’m following the prop, the plane is easier to find!
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jun 04, 2018, 10:42 AM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
quick vid of F-22 with paint and new nose cone!

F-22 12” wingspan quick demo (1 min 29 sec)
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log F-22 1/12 scale Composite build kanji Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 292 Sep 03, 2016 04:01 AM
Discussion 1/22 Sukhoi Su-34 Fullback (6mm MPF) thunderai Pusher Prop Jet Models 11 Jul 10, 2016 06:33 PM
Discussion Build more F-22's? dll932 Life, The Universe, and Politics 11 Sep 18, 2015 03:52 AM
Build Log F-22 Raptor with MPF foam gatorb8 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Apr 23, 2014 07:49 AM
Question Fibreglass F-35 or F-22 with wingspan <=1,11m on the market? Hazel Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 14 Jun 16, 2013 01:06 AM