Durafly SlowPoke Review

We get our hands on the Durafly SlowPoke and take it to the field to see how it flys. Check out the full review below.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 47" (1200mm)
Length: 37" (940mm)
Flying Weight: 48.6oz (1380g)
ESC: Aerostar 40A w/XT60 (Pre-installed)
Motor: 3648 700KV brushless outrunner (Pre-installed)
Prop Size: 12x8
Channels: 4
Price: $145.31
Available at: HobbyKing

The SlowPoke is one those nostalgic aircraft that's been modernized and updated for todays power systems. It's an EPO foamie like most smaller electric planes these days and it has classic lines with a low-wing open-cockpit style and a bright attractive trim scheme. When I brought it out to the field everyone was checking it out and couldn't wait to see it fly. Before we talk about that, I'll show you how it arrives and how easy it is to get it ready for flight.

Kit Contents

As I'm used to seeing now, the box arrived in great shape and the parts inside were all wrapped up nicely and well protected. This is a PNF so all of the electronics like the servos, motor and ESC are pre-installed and the plane is ready for final assembly. Here's a list of the parts you get inside the box.

• Two Wing Panels
  • Fuselage
  • Vertical Stablilizer
  • Horizontal Stabilizer
  • Painted Prop
  • Wooden Wing Spar
  • Landing Gear
  • Hardware Package

Assembly

I started out by gluing the horizontal and vertical stabilizers together and then attached them to the fuselage. I used contact adhesive Foam-Tac, but you could also use epoxy or CA. Just make sure the parts are lined up well before the glue sets. Once the tails are secure, you can install the control horns and connect the control linkages.

The next step was to glue the wing halves to the wooden spar and to each other. I used epoxy for this and once the glue was cured, I connected the aileron linkages. Then I installed the plastic support pieces for the landing gear and wing attachment screws. I placed the wing on the fuse and installed it with the provided screws, then I installed the landing gear into the slot and secured it with the cover and screws provided.

Now you just have some final touches like glueing in the carbon tube for the "exhaust tip", connecting the flying wires to the springs and attachment points, installing the prop and finally your receiver and battery. The battery lives in the nose and is secured with a strip of Velcro. Then I checked the CG and programmed my ready and was ready to hit the field.

Flying

The SlowPoke looks great on the ground, but that's not where it shines the brightest. Getting it in the air is pretty standard, just smoothly apply the throttle and hold the nose straight with the rudder, pull back when up to speed and the lift off is nice and smooth. I made a shallow left hand turn and put a few click of down elevator in to trim it out. I left the control rates at 100% with no expo and it didn't feel overly sensitive.

Flying around at slow speed with about 40% throttle was perfectly controllable and stable. The large thick wing does great at slow flight and low time pilots should have no trouble handling it. I made a few passes low and slow to get some photos and then I cracked the throttle up to full and pointed the nose up. It has a great deal of power!

Aerobatics were a blast and the plane was faster than I expected it to be. The roll rate is fast and crisp and there is plenty of rudder for knife edge passes, point rolls, and slow snaps. It handles great inverted and I was able to do a few really low inverted passes off the runway. With the recommended CG, I needed to hold just a bit of down elevator to keep it level. It's called the SlowPoke, but it can be very fast and aerobatic when you want. I like that you can mix it up. The color scheme looks great in the air and it was super easy to tell right side up from upside down thanks to the contrasting design on the bottom.

Landing is the only place where the SlowPoke fell just short of my expectations. I really wanted it to land and roll out smoothly, but it kept bouncing. I tried 3 point stall landings, faster two wheel landings and worked hard to finesse it into a smooth landing. I had a really hard time getting it down without bouncing. Now this is a paved runway we're talking about, it's much better on short grass. It's just something to keep in mind. Overall though, the SlowPoke is super fun to fly, looks great and can be flown slow and easy or fast and crazy with flight times on a 3S 2200's coming in about 6 minutes with mixed throttle use.

Photos

Video

Conclusion

At $145, the Durafly SlowPoke is a great deal. The quality of the foam, paint, electronics and the hardware are very nice and should last a long time. The plane goes together quickly and looks great hanging in your house when you aren't flying it. I'm really satisfied with how it flys in the air. Slow flight is predictable and mild and it has tons of power for aerobatics when you want to horse around with it. Landings on paved runways are tricky to get smooth, but grass fields are much better. Overall, it's a fun plane to fly and that's what counts in my book.

Check out the Durafly SlowPoke webpage here.

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

May 31, 2018, 09:56 AM
Nice review, but I think the position of the control horn on the rudder needs re-thinking!
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
May 31, 2018, 06:23 PM
Yep, the Slowpoke has officially made my "list."
Jun 01, 2018, 11:35 AM
Parkstormer!
As luck would have it I'd just bought a 48" Great Planes Sportster with the specific idea to make it with an open-cockpit, 1930s look when this got released. Still, I may not be able to pass this one up . . . No reason I can't have two such planes, right??
Jun 02, 2018, 08:47 AM
Were can I find info about how much up/down for ailerons/elevator and
left/right for rudder?
Jun 03, 2018, 05:23 PM
RCG Admin
There isn't any recommended settings in the manual. I left the rates at 100% and was happy with it there. You can dial it back some and set up multiple rates if your radio allows and find what works best for you.
Jun 14, 2018, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Nice review, but I think the position of the control horn on the rudder needs re-thinking!
Yeah that is weird. Why is it so far away from the hinge line? Wouldn't having it there give the rudder more throw in one direction than the other, or something?

Also this is kinda of like seeing a remake of a classic 80s film that didn't need one.

I wonder if there will ever be a foam Pete n Poke, haha.
Jun 15, 2018, 10:46 AM
Yes that setup would give a large amount of differential throw - I've seen a few ARTFs like that. The pivot point on the horn should be at 90 deg. to the hinge line, to get equal movement.
Jun 17, 2018, 06:29 PM
RCG Admin
It really doesn’t make any difference in a plane like this. You get the same movement both directions in the radio set up. It’s not like you need it to be the ultimate max at exactly the same amount. It’s not a pattern plane, just a cute sport flyer. I didn’t think it was worth mentioning in the review because it doesn’t matter a single bit on this plane.
Jun 18, 2018, 06:21 AM
Sure it's minor, but it's still a bad piece of design. If nobody mentions it then it may get carried through to planes where it does matter.
Jul 06, 2018, 05:46 PM
Got Corbomite?

Aileron servos

Hi,
I wonder about what would be needed if you had to replace one of the aileron servos. It looks like the wires are buried inside the wing once its glued together, and would need to be dug out. Just a thought since servos do go bad sometimes. Any thoughts?
Also, the reviewer mentioned bouncy landings on pavement, maybe consider softer, low-bounce tires. Id probably rake the gear forward a bit further to keep nose-overs to a minimum, too.
Jul 07, 2018, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglouis
Hi,
I wonder about what would be needed if you had to replace one of the aileron servos. It looks like the wires are buried inside the wing once its glued together, and would need to be dug out. Just a thought since servos do go bad sometimes. Any thoughts?
Also, the reviewer mentioned bouncy landings on pavement, maybe consider softer, low-bounce tires. Id probably rake the gear forward a bit further to keep nose-overs to a minimum, too.
With the initial reports of servo issues, I replaced all of mine with Corona CS-929MG servos. As far as the AIL servos, I simply cut the servo lead on the plane & cut the servo lead on the Corona & simply spliced them together. I gently widened the wire slot in the wing & pressed the connection down into the slot. I covered the servo & splice with white plastic tape. Pics attached.....

Denny

Addendum: I forgot to show my LG mod as IMO, the stock wire setup is garbage. I cut a piece of 1/8" plywood using the plastic LG plate as a template. & deepening the opening for a flush fit. I made an alum. LG a bit wider with a bit more forward rake. Using the stock tires for now since out fields are grass. The test run in my yard looks like the mod will work great. Pics attached.....
Last edited by yorkiepap; Jul 08, 2018 at 12:12 AM.
Jul 07, 2018, 08:16 PM
that's one way to do it!
Jul 08, 2018, 08:16 PM
Got Corbomite?

Servos and LG mod

Great LG mod, agree the stock wire setup has room for improvements. Also, thanks for your advice on replacing the servos, much better approach than digging the old wires out!
Jul 09, 2018, 03:51 AM
Are the stock servos really that unreliable?

With the ailerons you'd need both of them to die at the same time to have a serious issue in flight. Rudder isn't likely to be a big deal either. So if anything I'd start with the elevator one (which is critical), and see how it goes.

YMMV

Quick Reply