Dec 14, 2004, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tips LSB and Mike. I'll swing through the LHS for some 1/32"x1/16" bass tomrrow.

It occured to me while I was looking over the Baby Ace plans that the wintips laminated with the leading edge won't work because the tips are swept up. Makes them easier...probably...

Do you have a pic of your laminated parts Mike?

EDIT: On second thought, I'm pressing forward with what I have. It is due time to get moving. Building projects are begining to snowball and roll down hill
Last edited by tiberius; Dec 14, 2004 at 10:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2004, 09:35 PM
That's the one. It is amazing what you will find lurking in the corners of the internet.

cheers, the other other Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor
I think this is a pirated copy of the plans on a Thai website: http://www.easyairplanes.com/images/plan/bat.pdf
Dec 14, 2004, 10:27 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Tim,

Here are the laminated parts I started the night before last. I looked at the plans, and you were right, the wing tips are supposed to be tilted up. Oh well...

The tail surfaces are ready to sand, cut apart, trim to size, and cover. Wing will be dry and ready to sand down tomorrow. Then comes the fuselage.

You know, I really do prefer a good laser cut kit
Last edited by Mike Taylor; Dec 14, 2004 at 10:30 PM.
Dec 14, 2004, 11:35 PM
Thread OP
Nice work Mike!

Frammed the rudder and fin. I extended the fin tail post to the bottom of the fuse. I can just cut it off if it dosen't work out. First experience with Superphaltic. I like it so far. Time for bed now....
Dec 15, 2004, 12:38 PM
Over in the scale modeling forum (forget which thread or person) I ran across a technique where he was using 1/64 ply in his laminations. I gave it a try and was quite pleased with the results. A bit heavier than bass wood but gave a very nice strong surface.

My adaptation is to use 2 or 3 layers of 1/32 balsa (medium A grain) with a strip of 1/64 ply on the outside of piece. I cut the ply narrower than the desired final thickness of the piece and lay it up so that the ply is at/near the centre of the leading edge of piece, the ply being much harder to sand than the balsa. A bit fiddly to set up but I have like the results. Bass is also a very good choice and nearly as tough as the 1/64 ply. I will post some pictures later of a piece done this way.

Another tip from reading about FF techniques is to use 1/16 aluminum tubing for the outlines of horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Very scale like and if the size of the model is large enough you won't notice the difference. Easy to bend to shape over a former and not need to laminate and glue wet. For this size model I think this method would be a bit heavy but I may make a couple of pieces and weigh them to see. I have used this on larger (24" or so wingspan) planes. I will post a picture of a piece made this way later.

Now, I just gotta figure out what motor I am going to use. Lets see, Walnut size plane, 2 ounces all up (max Est) and single lipoly cell.

And, I just received a MPS V2 micro receiver (for actuators). Very nicely made, as nice as the JMP or RFFS-100 and narrowband too. Haven't had the chance to test it out yet but once I do I will be sure to post my comments.

Cheers, the other other Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius
Thanks for the tips LSB and Mike. I'll swing through the LHS for some 1/32"x1/16" bass tomrrow.

It occured to me while I was looking over the Baby Ace plans that the wintips laminated with the leading edge won't work because the tips are swept up. Makes them easier...probably...

Do you have a pic of your laminated parts Mike?

EDIT: On second thought, I'm pressing forward with what I have. It is due time to get moving. Building projects are begining to snowball and roll down hill
Dec 15, 2004, 02:31 PM
Nice work Mike.
Did you use ailerons on both wings of your Pitts and how big were they?
I started building the sideframes of the Jungmeister today,was wondering if I should stick with the flat bottom wing profile(I want to use molded sliced ribs) or switch to something else?
Dennis
Dec 15, 2004, 03:14 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Dennis,

The Pitts I modeled was an early version with ailerons on the lower wing only. They are 5/8" wide and match the scale size and location. In this narrow a wing span, not much control is really needed unless you want real snappy rolls!

I used the flat bottomed airfoil shown on the plans. It may have been too thick (or maybe the design was just too draggy) since the flight speed was pretty slow compared to others similarly powered and weighted designs I have flown. As you can see, there is a lot of nose for the amount of airplane! The design I used was David Jone's plans featured in a 1971 issue of Model Builder, and is avalable from Hannan's Runway or Peck-Polymers for $2.35
Dec 16, 2004, 08:09 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV

Pacific ace embryo

Hi there,

A few months ago I started building a pacific ace embryo, it has 14 inch span and I was trying it as a test bed for undercamber airfoil wing test. Here a are some pics of what I have built so far. I was wondering, could I enter with this in the cook up. I know it is not dime scale but a larger free flight ship I did build for about 30 Inch wing span flew deligthfully!

Regards

Enrico
Dec 16, 2004, 04:20 PM
here is a picture of a piece made with 1/16 aluminium tube for the outline. Not suitable for a walnut size plane but a good technique non the less. I think I might try it anyways and compare in weight to one made with laminated balsa and bass and another perhaps made of bamboo.

Weight of this part around 1 gram
Last edited by planophore; Dec 16, 2004 at 04:22 PM. Reason: omision
Dec 16, 2004, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFlover
Nice work Mike.
Did you use ailerons on both wings of your Pitts and how big were they?
I started building the sideframes of the Jungmeister today,was wondering if I should stick with the flat bottom wing profile(I want to use molded sliced ribs) or switch to something else?
Dennis

If you are planning on scale flight speeds, then I would say add undercamber to the airfoil. It will have a big effect and you will not regret it as long as you dont fly it inverted.
Dec 17, 2004, 02:03 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor
Dennis,

The Pitts I modeled was an early version with ailerons on the lower wing only. They are 5/8" wide and match the scale size and location. In this narrow a wing span, not much control is really needed unless you want real snappy rolls!

I used the flat bottomed airfoil shown on the plans. ..........
Nice job on the Pitts.

The common version of the Pitts with a non symmetrical airfoil and lower ailerons only is the Pitts S-1C. The famous "Li'l Stinker" was a S-1C.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Dec 17, 2004, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico74ec
Hi there,

A few months ago I started building a pacific ace embryo, it has 14 inch span and I was trying it as a test bed for undercamber airfoil wing test. Here a are some pics of what I have built so far. I was wondering, could I enter with this in the cook up. I know it is not dime scale but a larger free flight ship I did build for about 30 Inch wing span flew deligthfully!

Regards

Enrico
I think that at 14 inches your model meets the spirit of the build. It certainly looks like a scale model. I encourage you to build away. Join the fun.

Walter
Dec 17, 2004, 07:16 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
If I build an old style glider can i build an origonal launch plane? i want to build the glider with rc and a free flight piggy back carrier to get it up in the air and when the plane slows down, the glider is still going fast so it slides out of the rig.
either that or a remote release. think it'll work?

Derrik
Dec 17, 2004, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
If I build an old style glider can i build an origonal launch plane? i want to build the glider with rc and a free flight piggy back carrier to get it up in the air and when the plane slows down, the glider is still going fast so it slides out of the rig.
either that or a remote release. think it'll work?

Derrik
That sounds cool, and it might very well work. I would like to follow your thread on the project. I beleive it definatly deserves its own thread.

Check out this link. Its a rubber powered launch vehickle...

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~idesign...2/pickback.pdf
Last edited by Rocketman209; Dec 19, 2004 at 12:33 PM.
Dec 18, 2004, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman209
If you are planning on scale flight speeds, then I would say add undercamber to the airfoil. It will have a big effect and you will not regret it as long as you dont fly it inverted.
I'll have too give it a thought.
Would like to be able to do some mild aerobatics though too if possible,dunno.
Decisions,Decisions.....
Dennis

Quick Reply