Jul 27, 2018, 10:02 AM
I hate the ugly rubber bands, this is genius!

Be careful, make the wheels clear and Wonder Woman will claim it is her plane!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2018, 10:09 AM
MorganTech
Wonder Woman has already claimed the MiG. Guess I also need to print some clear tires and wheels
Jul 27, 2018, 10:54 AM
Must be able to find a Wonder Woman pilot to print...
On close inspection, I see you have WW nose Art, you got all the moves!
Is that a 3DLabPrint plane?
Jul 27, 2018, 02:10 PM
Charles Sherman
Which brand of CA kicker are you guys using? I have the Zip Kicker and it turns the CA yellowish so I'd like something that stays clear when cured.

Thanks
Jul 27, 2018, 03:18 PM
MorganTech
I exclusively use Bob Smith Industries/BSI Insta-Cure+ Medium and their CA on all of our planes.Never had an issue or failure.

FWIW- I never mix manufactures of Kicker with CA. Are you using ZAP CA?

dbacon- That is the original MiG from 3DLabprint. The little one is scaled down 50% for a 40mm fan, but it's too heavy to fly.
Jul 27, 2018, 03:53 PM
Electric,

I was afraid of the weight with an EDF, will the big one fly? Even if it doesn't, it is a striking plane. I would always catch flak for liking that plane, but I can't help it, it's pretty!

My CA stays crystal clear, it is Loctite Professional 20gram UPC 79340 68624 with 1812319 on the bottle, and the kicker is good ol' BSI-151 2 oz pump spray
Jul 27, 2018, 07:00 PM
Charles Sherman
Thanks for the info on the kicker
Jul 27, 2018, 07:25 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by csherman
Which brand of CA kicker are you guys using? I have the Zip Kicker and it turns the CA yellowish so I'd like something that stays clear when cured.

Thanks
I really like Mercury Adhesives. http://www.mercuryadhesives.com/ You can get it from Amazon.

You can see from my plane that with the medium CA and kicker it drys clear. Plus I like their design of their caps (It has a built pin that keeps it from clogging)

I got the esc today! Still waiting on the motor... In the meantime, I printed out the FPV Canopy. I modified it a bit to take a full sized vTx (It's all I had lying around) I'll use an antenna extension and probably route the vTx antenna out the bottom of the fuse. When I'm not using the FPV canopy, I'll just switch it out with the original!

Ricky
Jul 27, 2018, 07:53 PM
That looks so good!
Jul 30, 2018, 05:20 PM
It flies? I like it!
Flew mine yesterday.

It is an interesting plane. CG was on the mark with a Zippy compact 3S 2200mah. Smaller packs wouldn't allow CG to come in range. 1.5 lbs stuffed w/o battery.

Beautiful, pretty quick, but no magic in those bird inspired wings and winglets to counteract the natural tip stalling tendency of highly tapered wings. The departure is abrupt and violent. Make sure you have plenty of altitude before you slow it down. Beware of a secondary stall on recovery unless you really enjoy printing A LOT! Be gentle on the elevator on recovery!!!

Loops and rolls well. Stall turns are a bit challenging.

Keep your airspeed up on landing, definitely not a "chop throttle and glide to a landing" airplane. Fly it to the ground with some power on.

Treated with a healthy dose of respect it will be a fun airplane to fly when I need a shot of adrenalin. I am going to play with the CG and throws to minimize the tip stalling, but there is only so far you can take that.

I would print it again.
Jul 30, 2018, 05:28 PM
That is encouraging, I haven't finished mine yet because I was getting discouraged trying to ROG my other printed planes, the gear is too brittle to deal with our bumpy grass field.
Maybe I will make something to help with the tip stall problem, something that simulates a bit of wash-out in the wing tip...

Thanks for the colorful report, you have a way with words!
Jul 30, 2018, 06:59 PM
It flies? I like it!
dbacon, our field is a bermuda... errr, who am I kidding.. mostly crabgrass-rich, weeds runway. Usually anything with wheels smaller than 2" has a very hard time with it. I went with the recommended Sunnysky motor/prop combo and the TPU printed wheels. The suspension allowed it to take off in 75 feet, no problem. There are some really cool features on "The Z", like that suspension, and it is an obvious labor of love. I hope the designer presses on. I'll buy his stuff!

PS-I would NOT attempt a hand launch, at least not with the stock power package. The stall speed is a little on the high side for an underhand toss and it takes a bit to get "on step"
Jul 30, 2018, 08:19 PM
It flies? I like it!
Navy trainer Eclipson Z
Jul 30, 2018, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the good advice. So I will add a strip on the TE near the tips with a few degrees of down angle to act like washout. And I will make bigger wheels, and mod the gear accordingly.

Hand launch of a new plane always frightens me, as you are committed to flight without knowing the trim is acceptable, just seems too brutal!
Jul 30, 2018, 09:46 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I'm still waiting on my motor for the Model-Z... I was afraid of the CG and adding the 2200 might make it fly a bit "heavy" plus with those thin wings I'm sure it will come in hot.

I really love these designs, and since I have no motor and nothing else to do... Check out his latest!

Water Proofing 3D Printed Floats (1 min 16 sec)

Ricky

Edit: I don't know if the LeakSeal is completely dry, but I couldn't wait to test the floats out. Well... They float! I went through one can and will probably get another just to be sure, but my floats before the LeakSeal coating were around 74g, after the leakseal coating they are about 85g.
Last edited by rickgode; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply