Feb 22, 2020, 03:44 PM
Remain Calm

Model Z LW-PLA maiden

Couldn't wait any longer. With the temp about 40, winds 5-10, took the MZ to the field. Short story: flew absolutely great, made no adjustments in trim and no bad habits. Looked great in the air! I had only taped the canopy on, rather than the recommended wire, and the canopy flew off on takeoff but didn't affect the good flight characteristics. But because of that I brought it in early and a gust of wind ( and stiff winter fingers) brought it in heavily directly on the nose gear. This tore out the gear mount and crushed some of the fuse surrounding the mount. The fuse also separated between parts 2 and 3 but I attribute this to a poor glue job on my part.

Did 3 things wrong: 1. too large a diameter which did not affect things, but could have had a prop strike when the gear flexed. 2. Didn't attach the canopy as recommended. 3. Flew in a bit too much wind for a maiden.

Because of the translucent nature of the LW-PLA it was pretty easily to lose orientation at some sun angles.

Otherwise, will be reprinting the fuse and getting back in the air soon!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2020, 09:32 PM
I think that was encouraging. The prop strike is a pretty violent event, imparting a lot of force on the fuse.
When the ideal prop for the motor is too large for the fuse, you might try putting two of 20 % less diameter in a "X" configuration. I have made thrust and current measurements of many of these times I have done this and found them to be the same.

Eclipson Z
Last edited by dbacon; Yesterday at 01:24 AM.
Feb 23, 2020, 06:21 AM
Bad luck! Did you fly this model also printed with normal PLA?
Feb 23, 2020, 08:16 AM
Remain Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon
I think that was encouraging. The prop strike is a pretty violent event, imparting a lot of force on the fuse.
When the ideal prop for the motor is too large for the fuse, you might try putting two of 20 % less diameter in a "X" configuration. I have made thrust and current measurements of many of these times I have done this and found them to be the same.
Honestly, it was more laziness than anything. It was a GWS 10x7 and I didn't have a smaller lightweight prop. Live and learn.
Feb 23, 2020, 08:17 AM
Remain Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJames
Bad luck! Did you fly this model also printed with normal PLA?
Printed it but never tried to fly it. Weight was about 40% higher. Might fly it as a hand tossed plane though.
Feb 23, 2020, 08:50 AM
That is how my "Eclipson Z" made me feel. I did try to ROG, but those small wheels and our grass runway (which is pretty good...) broke the gear, then the nose, because of the prop strike.

After I fly the "Y" which was made for LW-PLA , maybe I will get fired up enough to reprint the "Z" in LW-PLA. I sure do love the looks of the "Z"
Last edited by dbacon; Yesterday at 01:25 AM.
Feb 23, 2020, 09:01 AM
Remain Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon
That is how my "Z" made me feel. I did try to ROG, but those small wheels and our grass runway (which is pretty good...) broke the gear, then the nose, because of the prop strike.

After I fly the "Y" which was made for LW-PLA , maybe I will get fired up enough to reprint the "Z" in LW-PLA. I sure do love the looks of the "Z"
I don't think you'd be disappointed. I fly off of a blacktop runway so the takeoff was smooth, aside from the canopy ejection!
Apr 04, 2020, 12:23 PM
Remain Calm

Back in the air

After my maiden flight mishap with the Z ( prop strike and wind gusts) I reprinted the fuse and, while keeping my social distance, took it to the field today. Very solid flyer, took almost no trim. It looks almost graceful in the air. It had some slightly squirrelly moments in turns that were due to the tape hinges being a little loose. With the gear in place it is not a floater but landings looked greased with the suspension so on the whole they are a plus . I kept my speed up a little more than I'd normally do with a plane this size. I'll fly this plane a lot.
Apr 04, 2020, 01:56 PM
I must correct my last statements, post 216, I used "Y" when I should have said "V", which is the plane that was made for LW-PLA. Haven't gotten out to fly it yet, but it is very light (1lb) and looks very promising.

Eclipson Z
Last edited by dbacon; Yesterday at 01:25 AM.
Apr 06, 2020, 10:00 PM
What kind of rubber bands is everyone using for the landing gear “shocks?” I’ve been using #64 wrapped three times around and I think it’s way too stiff. I’ve yet to have an arrival that didn’t result in a snapped (PETG) nose-wheel strut, and I’m not THAT bad of a pilot. I’ve resorted to just hand launching and belly landing.

Also, I’ve printed my motor mounts in PETG. I’ve had two crack/break during flight. I guess I need to balance my props better? Has anyone else run into this?

I sure do like this plane though.
Apr 06, 2020, 10:29 PM
On the Eclipson V there are CF tubes in the landing gear. Perhaps a little redesign is in order.
I could work on that, as I have bought the Eclipson Z plans, and I could experiment.

Looks like NLG1 and NLG2 could be grooved to hold a CF tube. This is curved, so it will be a little tricky.
Last edited by dbacon; Apr 06, 2020 at 10:47 PM.
Apr 06, 2020, 11:17 PM
This shows that a 4mm CF tube could be put into the Eclipson Z Main Gear.
Last edited by dbacon; Yesterday at 01:26 AM.
Apr 06, 2020, 11:57 PM
I’ll be darned, Bacon...that ought to work quite well.
Apr 07, 2020, 12:07 AM
Do you TinkerCAD?

Here I have put a hole in for a 4mm CF tube in the left Main Gear. If you position the hole so that is is at a 45 degree angle. it won't need support when you print it. Now you can use LW-PLA, which will be half the weight. Eclipson Z
Last edited by dbacon; Yesterday at 01:26 AM.
Apr 07, 2020, 08:42 AM
Remain Calm
I've not had any gear issues yet but less than a dozen landings so far. I've been using small elastic hair bands my wife gave me which work well for the suspension.

Quick Reply