Eclipson Model Z - RC Groups
May 25, 2018, 04:35 PM
Discussion

Eclipson Model Z

Eclipson airplanes has officially launched the Model Z. Somewhat similar to the model y but it’s a low wing with more of a sweet look all around.

I have mine about half done. Still need to get the control surfaces printed and the landing gear.

Pretty cool plane. Always liked how the model Y seemed to be designed around printing and not an existing plane design trying to convert to 3d printing.

Hope to get the rest of the parts printed over the holiday weekend and get a maiden flight in next week. Plan to try using a frsky s6r stabilized receiver on it.

Here are some pictures of where my build currently is as well as a photo next to one of my model Y planes.

Link to the new plane: https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/model-z

Justin
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2018, 04:40 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
They should announce the new models here. This one looks great and seems to fly well:

3D printed plane maiden flight - Eclipson model Z (1 min 21 sec)

And congratulations for your build.
May 27, 2018, 01:49 PM
I am also printing this model! I decided to print it with transparent PLA just to see the cool inner architecture of this airplane.
On their website they explain the reasons why they use this architechture, quite interesting indeed...

https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/d...ired-by-nature
May 27, 2018, 05:35 PM
By the way... they have uploaded the whole fuselage for free . Just in case someone want to test it.
Here is the link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2932157
May 28, 2018, 03:31 AM
Fantastic looking plane. Damn - yet another plane I need to print.
May 28, 2018, 05:57 PM
Got the plans yesterday, PLA will be here tomorrow. I've finished the model y and as soon as weather permits will be doing the maiden. This model looks great!
May 30, 2018, 07:17 AM
I've printed the first 2 fuse sections, and the walls seem to be 2 perimeters? Or is it just a bit thicker than the model y was? I have the slicer set to 1 perimeter....

Update: Posted this question on Thingiverse page and the designer answered. Some parts are thicker and seem to be 2 perimeters but are just made thicker on purpose.
Last edited by RobDog; May 30, 2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Update
May 31, 2018, 12:27 PM
Yes it happen to me the same, but if you print fus 3 or 4 you will see that the result is diferent with the same paramenters, only one perimeter like they recommend.
Jun 04, 2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJames
Yes it happen to me the same, but if you print fus 3 or 4 you will see that the result is diferent with the same paramenters, only one perimeter like they recommend.
Verified. Also did the maiden flight on the model Y on Saturday. Not only did it fly well, it was able to slow down a lot more than I would have thought. Very nice planes!
Jun 06, 2018, 10:43 AM
That is a beautiful plane. I have printed a Stearman, a flying wing, a "QTrainer" and this is my next one, moving ahead of two others that are waiting to be printed!

The interlocking is very interesting, I wish the Stearman would have had that... But I will have more to say after I start printing it.

-Dave
Jun 08, 2018, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon

The interlocking is very interesting, I wish the Stearman would have had that... But I will have more to say after I start printing it.

-Dave
You are right Dave, 2 weeks ago I started printing the spitfire. It is really difficult to align the parts!! I donīt know how but I always end up gluing my own fingers trying to align the section... the system that Eclipson is using is much better...
Jun 08, 2018, 07:26 AM
JLJames,

Exactly what happened to me with the Stearman! Next time I will glue small tabs in each wing for guidance.

I tried using a solvent glue, the method was posted by a very talented modeler, with a thin layer in a dip tank, but it just didn't have the strength.
I had to go over each joint with CA from LocTite, one of their offerings works very well, even though I found many CA's that didn't bond well. I think you could also just put dots of glue to hold it, and finish it later when you can touch it without becoming part of it!

I found a free plane, the Shark, that uses tabs you slide into pockets just at the edge of the wing skin, very clever. I am in the process of printing it now. This is a model offered by the manufacturer of the full sized plane on the Shark website, https://www.shark.aero/

Tell me if you are going to print this, I have organized the files, as there are a few updates to it.
Last edited by dbacon; Jun 08, 2018 at 08:36 AM.
Jun 08, 2018, 04:50 PM
Looks amazing, but would it fly in a twin configuration?
With 2x 2205/2306 and those micro 30A quad escs. That would give it 1-2kg thrust with a drivetrain that weighs ~50g for motors+escs.

Would also allow for it to be flown fpv, without the pesky prop in the way
Jun 08, 2018, 06:24 PM
Xermalk,

I don't follow, do you want twice motors on the Shark, or maybe on the Eclipson Z? If you want a twin, how about the 3DLabPrint P38 Lightning?

Quick Reply