May 25, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Rant

Horizon hobbies stinks

So for years I avoided HH like the plague..

EVERY time i have delt with them its been BAD from CRAPPY products slow shipping lost orders... and more.. so i swore off of them YEARS ago..
NOW they buy out Hobbico... and Tower (who has ALWAYS BEEN ON TIME COURTEOUS AND FANTASTIC with customer service) does not have a small item i need... waited and waited still not in stock... yeah hobbico buy out i get it...

so I give up on waiting for this item LAST MINUET... wed MORNING I order the small part pay $10.00 for Second day air... instead of $2 something for first class... so I figure 2 days thursday... friday... COOOL ill have it before the fly in..

SO i track the item today... and it shows it was JUST ACCEPTED TODAY.. and expected delivery is WED next week... I understand its a holiday... BUT HOW THE "F" is that 2nd day...

Horizon Hobby is going to KILL this hobby with their crappy foamies... NOTHING for replacement parts after about a month.. discontinued items and CRAPPY service...

45 years in this hobby and its going down in flames....

is this the beginning of the end of a real hobby??
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2018, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard
So for years I avoided HH like the plague..

EVERY time i have delt with them its been BAD from CRAPPY products slow shipping lost orders... and more.. so i swore off of them YEARS ago..
NOW they buy out Hobbico... and Tower (who has ALWAYS BEEN ON TIME COURTEOUS AND FANTASTIC with customer service) does not have a small item i need... waited and waited still not in stock... yeah hobbico buy out i get it...

so I give up on waiting for this item LAST MINUET... wed MORNING I order the small part pay $10.00 for Second day air... instead of $2 something for first class... so I figure 2 days thursday... friday... COOOL ill have it before the fly in..

SO i track the item today... and it shows it was JUST ACCEPTED TODAY.. and expected delivery is WED next week... I understand its a holiday... BUT HOW THE "F" is that 2nd day...

Horizon Hobby is going to KILL this hobby with their crappy foamies... NOTHING for replacement parts after about a month.. discontinued items and CRAPPY service...

is this the beginning of the end of a real hobby??
Never experienced what you described, and did business with both Horizon and Tower,
And holidays and shipping issues is beyond their reach when FedEx picks it up, like every other vendor including Tower
May 27, 2018, 09:27 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Horizon Hobby is going to KILL this hobby with their crappy foamies...
I totally gave up on foamies a couple of years age. There are plenty of good quality wood airplanes - they fly so much better and stay nice looking much longer. I get most of my airplanes from Tower Hobbies or SIG.

May 27, 2018, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I totally gave up on foamies a couple of years age. There are plenty of good quality wood airplanes - they fly so much better and stay nice looking much longer. I get most of my airplanes from Tower Hobbies or SIG.

100% agree but when they have NOTHING in Stock anymore at tower.. Its going to kill the real hobbyists its like horizon is trying to kill tower and take over with crap... I wish we could stop it..
May 31, 2018, 03:28 PM

is this the beginning of the end of a real hobby??[/QUOTE

YES.
May 31, 2018, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Amen brotha..... Amen
May 31, 2018, 04:54 PM
Another 'small' warbird.....Hellcat:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/f6f-hel...uh9swdnlbmrfge
May 31, 2018, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
Another 'small' warbird.....Hellcat:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/f6f-hel...uh9swdnlbmrfge

notice they are "PRE ORDER" thats aPonzie scheme if I ever saw one... pay them first then they make you wait twice as long as they tell you.. IF you ever get it (well you do but its weeks longer than they say) then by time you get it air worthy and fly it they discontinue it and all the parts.. so if you do damage it you're SOL...
Jun 01, 2018, 09:03 AM
Quote:
notice they are "PRE ORDER" thats aPonzie scheme if I ever saw one... pay them first then they make you wait twice as long as they tell you.. IF you ever get it (well you do but its weeks longer than they say) then by time you get it air worthy and fly it they discontinue it and all the parts.. so if you do damage it you're SOL...
We never charge cards until we ship the product. You aren't risking anything.

The Hellcat is a heck of a plane. I watched Ali flying his several weeks ago and told him that if I get an ARF anytime soon (all my planes are my own designs now), this would be at the top of my list.

Andy
Jun 01, 2018, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
We never charge cards until we ship the product. You aren't risking anything.

The Hellcat is a heck of a plane. I watched Ali flying his several weeks ago and told him that if I get an ARF anytime soon (all my planes are my own designs now), this would be at the top of my list.

Andy
Ok that may have been the wrong word to use.. I wish they had things in stock and ready to go.. I hate waiting it seems to me as if its "ships early may" ok now late may... ok now june.. etc etc etc.. but thats just my experience..

the hellcat does look nice I hope they do MORE wood models to me foam is a waste.. but then again im old school I built dozens of planes before I ever HEARD of an ARF...
Jun 01, 2018, 03:44 PM
Been a HH customer for many years and have never experienced anything like metalwizard has.
Jun 02, 2018, 07:39 PM
Rough Landing
I think their website is a pile of garbage. I hate all the foam stuff they sell. I despise the fact they don't sell balsa kits. None the less I have ordered several things from them and have never had a problem.
Jun 03, 2018, 11:03 AM
Those crappy foam planes are what allowed myself and many others to enter the hobby. I started with a "crappy" foam Apprentice S 15E, moved to a crappy PZ Trojan, then a Crappy Eflite P47. Now I have a pile of crappy foam planes I enjoy flying as well as 4 glow powered kits I've built myself from balsa and another kit on the shelf waiting to be built.

IMO, those crappy foam planes are a great way to get people in to the "real hobby". But what do I know. I've only been flying for 4-5 years and wouldn't have started if I couldn't buy a "crappy foam plane" ready to go from the box and teach myself to fly. That crappy apprentice is still flying. Piece of junk for sure.

Never had any bad shipping experiences from HH and their customer service has been top notch. Sent me a brand new quad after a battery issue sent one in to the dirt. I've seen other companies that will at best send a new battery for the busted model.

I wish Hobbico was still around. I ordered lots of small parts from them, engines, servos, etc. But they mismanaged the company and couldn't adapt to a changing market. Maybe some of their customers had a little too much animosity towards those people flying foam planes and not being part of the "real hobby", so they weren't able to steer these new customers to their beloved retailer.

I'm glad Horizon bought them. At least their is a chance some Hobbico offerings will hang around and maybe some GP kits will remain available. But there is no way HH can be blamed for killing Hobbico when Hobbico was already dead when purchased.
Jun 03, 2018, 11:34 AM
Thread OP
we have a small club out here. in the last 13 years of flying there. I have seen many come with their foam planes to learn how to fly.. out of DOZENS of them.. I would say 90% I never see anymore. they just gave up and stopped coming to the club.

I know 2 guys that have branched onto wood planes. one crashed his 60 size p47 (yes his first choice for a plane after learning on an apprentice) never saw him again either..

I think if you like to build and learn that first you are MUCH more likely to keep doing it and keep flying..

foam to me seems to be for the "I GOTTA HAVE IT NOW GIMME GIMME " guys.. then they give up "F this its now fun when you crash and cant fix stuff"

thats my opinion.. im sure there are plenty of other examples out there as true with ANYTHING. but those that learned building skills first stay with it and it becomes a passion those that buy and fly just dont.. if its not "NOW NOW NOW" they give up .
Jun 03, 2018, 02:32 PM
Maybe they just found a new place to fly, or maybe it was the club atmosphere.

At least two stuck with the hobby who likely never would have found it had they not had the foam option to start with. And what has it cost the rest of the hobby? Nothing really. I don't think foams spelled the demise of kits or balsa. If anything, they are helping the hobby survive. Without them we likely wouldn't have much of anything left before long. Especially with the older generations of hobbyists thumbing their noses and the younger guys as soon as they get to the field because they didn't spend 2 months building their planes and wrapping them with silk covering and dope.

Seems those who are friendly to the new tech don't see the same issues with people wanting to learn to fly. Those who have decided foam is the death of RC flying all seem to have trouble keeping new folks at the club. I wonder why...maybe attitude related.

Quick Reply