May 25, 2018, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
Contest

Another Chi/Lou f5j - JUNE 23 & 24!

The CHI Guys
Frank Burnowski, Ben Roberto and Robin Meek from Chicago area will be CD'ing and scoring, our club will help with the work of setting up landing spots etc.

WE will be using the new state of the art automated LED Timing Board plus each flight station will have a speaker to insure every pilot can hear the official flight window time.

Special Sauce???
Since this is an opportunity for ALES pilots to learn and experience F5J, we will NOT be forcing pilots to have an approved FAI F5J switch. Pilots can use their existing ALES Switches (for instance in the case of the CAM ALES unit set for 100m,150m, or 200m. The pilot would simply declare where his launch height was set). (And yes you can do emergency motor restarts to save your model (in exchange for a zero round score of course).

F5J???
So what is the difference between ALES and F5J? ALES is altitude LIMITED, F5J is altitude PENALIZED.

ALES everyone starts at the same altitude. F5J pilots choose which altitude they want to start at, the lower the launch altitude the less launch points they consume. Those "launch points" are deducted from the pilot's total round score.

Telemetry is NOT allowed in F5J, except for Signal and RX battery info. ALES allows Vario's and Altimeter Telemetry reporting, FAI F5J does not.

F5J Launch Points
From the moment the pilot releases his model at launch, he begins using his launch points at a rate of 1 point for every 2 meters gained from his hand. There is a pretty stiff penalty for exceeding 200m, but if you were to launch to 200m it would cost you 100 points off your total round score. In the case of a pilot using his ALES Cam switch set to 150 meters, the score card would reflect that his launch height was 150m, (even if he decided to shut off lower) since his CAM does not display the actual motor shut off altitude as do F5J switches. (

IF the pilot has a F5J switch it will indicate the altitude 10 seconds after the motor was actually shut off. (FAI rule). (or it will read the highest altitude recorded during the launch, so no shooting up, then zooming down into a low pack flying a thermal. You F5J switch will read the highest your model achieved during the motor run.)

The F5J Landing Circle
Its HUGE! A 20 meter circle, 50 points max, measured 5 points per meter. That means pilots have a 2m circle to earn the full 50 points. No need to learn how to land with precision, or dork. Plenty of "slide" room to do well. You can park two crew cab Ford Trucks on the tape and still hit some points at the end. :-)

Day 1 Saturday
Our goal is to provide plenty of information about the rules, all questions welcome at the pilot meeting. We'll all be learning, so Saturday will be dedicated to that idea.
Day 2 Sunday
Pilots who attended Saturday will be ready to fly, having experienced and learned. New pilots will still get the same introduction as did the Saturday pilots, so no pressure, but likely the event will flow smoother :-).

Recognition will be given for the top 3 places each day, with an OVER ALL Point Champion award given to the pilot who managed to enjoy both days!

Entry Fee
$25 per day.

$5 of that will be put into a cash pot, the pilot who ends up in the MIDDLE OF THE PACK will receive ALL OF THE POT!

We're going to keep it simple, trying to insure everyone has fun and learns about F5J.

The Field
We'll be flying off of our club field at Charlie Vettiner Park (Google it on Google Maps). Approx 1000' square, with easy access to all sides. Its close to freeway exits and only a few miles from lots of restaurants and motels.

Got more questions OR comments ? Go ahead and ask ;-)
Gordy
Last edited by Gordysoar; May 25, 2018 at 09:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2018, 09:58 AM
BenRoberto
Pilots meeting will be at 8:30am.
Round 1 at 9:00am.

Current list of cool dudes:

Gordy
Frankie
Robin
Ben
Gilbert
Jim M.
Ron Smith
Greg B.
Paul Perret
Jay Watkins
Dr. Marc
mdickey
Last edited by Ben Roberto; Jun 21, 2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added pilot meeting time and round 1 start time
May 25, 2018, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for changing your comments, this one makes more sense :-)

Okay so lets get back on topic which is the Chi/Lou June F5J. We have commitments from the pilots who attended the first one last week, so that's 19.

I would prefer not to have more that about 25, so if we get near that amount consider skipping this one and just go to the Nats ;-)
We can accommodate about 10 landing tapes on the field.
Gordy
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
May 26, 2018, 04:32 PM
Sorry I wish I could make it but I need to go to grandson's graduation that week end up state NY.

Art
May 29, 2018, 08:24 PM
I will be there.

Gilbert

P.S. I don't know about Greg yet, but my wife may be going with me so I can take her out to a nice Cuban restaurant
Jun 02, 2018, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
I’ll be there too :-)
Gordy
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Jun 04, 2018, 10:56 PM
I am planning to fly Saturday but not Sunday

Greg B
Jun 16, 2018, 06:47 AM
Add Jay Watkins to the list, I believe he's going to be flying both days.

Gilbert
Jun 16, 2018, 06:11 PM
I will be there.
Jun 16, 2018, 09:35 PM

Chi-Lou F5j

Count me in too Ben.
Jun 17, 2018, 08:44 PM
BenRoberto
I'll be bringing down a small speaker system for Friday practice.

I'll also have a couple of things for sale. PM or email for details:
RTF eSupra
NIB standard Simitri w/NIB EDF1515 w/32mm motor mount.

-- Ben
Jun 18, 2018, 08:26 AM
What time are we starting Saturday?

Gilbert
Jun 19, 2018, 07:06 AM
BenRoberto
Pilots meeting at 8:30am.
Round 1 start at 9:00am.

-- b
Jun 19, 2018, 04:51 PM
Ron Smith
Great plan to start early on a hot summer day. Thanks