Jun 13, 2018, 01:21 AM
Geppetto
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2018, 05:02 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
I'm back at it. Was busy with the work thing.

Picture shows spot gluing the hatch on so I can shape it.

Once I complete both hatch assemblies, the wings will be next.
Jun 24, 2018, 06:11 PM
Geppetto
Nice Ken!
Jun 24, 2018, 06:40 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks,

So here are a few pictures of one fuselage sanded with hatch.

Still a few areas that I will need to final sand to remove the rough shaping marks.

Next up hatch on second fuselage.

It's good to be back on task.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 10:44 PM.
Jun 25, 2018, 02:30 AM
Geppetto
Ken,

Very nice job shaping these fuse's. Especially, the nose.

I have spent a bit of time looking/staring at the glue patterns of the nose laminations this evening. The outlines would make a pretty cool looking cockpit painted right. Or, I can see the outlines taped off and stained with contrasting shade between sections, varnished then glassed for a natural wood finish. Like a proper "Baby Bowlus" fuse would look.

I could be over thinking all of this or it's the drugs...or both. Either way, I like your work and I am definitely going to do a laminated nose on mine too.

Oh, and did I mention? Damn, those fuse's look good!

Geppetto
Jun 25, 2018, 09:50 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks Geppetto,

I'm happy with how the nose turned out too.

Wasn't really planned, I was just utilizing the wood I had on hand.

Staining would be cool but I will probably just cover with transparent colored monokote.

Considering one orange and the other red transparent. Also considering doing one in a fancy opaque scheme. We'll see.

IMO, The glider has such cool lines that it doesn't need a complicated finish. A simple transparent would allow for natural beauty of the wood to show. Also, transparent covering would make a damage assessment easier.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:44 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Second hatch is set in place.
Jun 25, 2018, 11:13 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
This picture gives you an idea how the hatch fits in place with the triangle stock.

Pictures worth a thousand words?
Jun 26, 2018, 09:56 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Fuselages are done.

Fuselages are nearly complete. Still have to pop the hatches loose and install latch system but that can wait.

Each one weighs 2.8 oz. not bad considering I used epoxy exclusively.

I'm considering installing a strip of bass wood in the center of belly for possible light bungee/highstart. Wouldn't be a big weight penalty and it would be nice to have a anchor point just in case.

Very happy with them. Hopefully the wings will turn out as well.

I've procrastinated long enough. Wings are next.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 10:44 PM.
Jun 30, 2018, 03:06 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
I think I found a good spot to fly the Slopemasters.

NO ROCKS!
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 10:42 PM.
Jul 01, 2018, 10:55 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

1st Wing

Preparing to start the first wing.

The kit included custom cut trailing edge and leading edge stock so I'm having to fabricate my own.

1st wing I cut 1.5" TE stock to 1". Shown in pictures.

2nd wing will have thin 1" TE stock with 1/16" sheeting both top and bottom.

Why all the trouble? Cause you gotta work with what you got.

I had to break down and visit local hobby shop for first wing TE stock. Out of 8 pieces on the shelf, only 2 were acceptable.

I'm gonna have to fabricate the LE stock too.

Once I get the TE and LE fabricated, Wing construction should progress normally.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Jul 01, 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Jul 01, 2018, 11:10 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
On a side note, the Slopemaster would have done awesome where I was flying on Friday.
Jul 02, 2018, 10:21 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Added 1/16" ply brace to TE.

Good to go, now it's time to fabricate LE stock.
Jul 02, 2018, 11:02 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

LE stock

Turns out that I have enough LE material for 6 wings.

The original kit supplied LE's were preshaped 3/8" x 1/2".

I went through and weighed what I had. I will use the heaviest and match weights. A couple of the lighter pieces were warped so I won't use those. But the heavier pieces are plenty straight.

The kit supplied LE's were heavier balsa stock.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 10:41 PM.
Jul 17, 2018, 04:51 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Build delay

I've decided to delay the Slopemaster builds for awhile.

Hard to believe, but the fall flying season is just barely two months away and I want to get my Steve Drake DS-48 ready.

The DS-48 is going to be a pretty technical build compared to other EPP gliders.

The reality is the Slopemaster builds are a fun retro balsa project that I fully intend to complete, hopefully this winter.

EPP gliders are what I actually fly out here due to the rocky LZ's. So they get priority attention.

On a bright note, the fuselages are basically done and I have all the parts ready to build the wings. I just don't want to rush the Slopemaster's.

For those of you who have been following this build thread, sorry for the delay.

Stay tuned,

Ken

Quick Reply