Jul 22, 2019, 11:27 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Glassed the top center wing sheeting.

Plans show just a narrow strip of glass cloth around the outside of center sheeting, but I opted to glass the internal sheeting matching the width of the center/inboard ribs.

The wing fits fairly snug to the body and I didn't want to enlarge the wing cutout anymore. I overdid the wing cutout in a few areas already with the sandpaper.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2019, 10:25 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Doing a little touch up sanding to the TE stock. Since I fabricated the TE stock, it's a bit off.

Then I can proceed.

Been busy lately so I haven't worked on it.
Jul 30, 2019, 10:08 PM
Cool glider and nice build!
Just got my M.A., nice column.
Congrats!
Jul 30, 2019, 10:19 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCscott
Cool glider and nice build!
Just got my M.A., nice column.
Congrats!
Thanks VC,

I realize that my pace has slowed down to a crawl, but I just needed a break from building.

I'm lining up some interesting EPP builds for the next year, so I will definitely need to get this project off my bench.
Jul 30, 2019, 11:27 PM
Geppetto
Ken,

I would like to add my congratulations regarding the AMA column as well. Dave Garwood did a fine job each month and no doubt you will do the same.

More EPP planes for next year too? Will the "Slope Master" be sailing off to the back burner or will it be coming to a boil? Enquiring minds want to know.

Good luck with the juggle, I'll be watching!

Geppetto

Jul 31, 2019, 12:36 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Geppetto,

I didn't mean to alarm you with my post. I fully intend to complete the Slopemaster before starting a new project.

EPP gliders are my main focus simply because of my available flying sites. The projects that I am lining up are not ground breaking, but will allow me to build upon my previous methods and techniques.
Aug 18, 2019, 06:29 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Hatch is latched

Finally completed the hatch latch system. Turned out well.

To locate the hole for aft latch, I coated the end of 1/16" wire with sharpie, held hatch in desired location, and then extended latch wire marking hole location.

Body to wing mounting is next.
Aug 18, 2019, 11:00 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Wing/Body Attached

Wing and body are attached. The alignment was surprisingly easy.

Used scrap balsa to fill in gaps in a few areas.

Wing tips, elevons and fin prep are next.
Aug 18, 2019, 11:17 PM
Thatís real nice, very clean build.
Your latch looks good, it just like the one on the Quicksilver.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:14 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCscott
Thatís real nice, very clean build.
Your latch looks good, it just like the one on the Quicksilver.
Thanks,

Your right.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:16 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Wing tips attached

Wing tips are attached.

Just need to fit elevons and shape tips.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:19 AM
Geppetto
Looking good Ken! I'm making whooshing noises in my mind now as it makes a high speed pass in front the hill, left to right and then a slight bank for the photo ops.

Almost there my friend!

Geppetto
Aug 19, 2019, 07:51 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks Geppetto, good to hear from ya.
Aug 19, 2019, 07:51 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Good times.
Aug 19, 2019, 10:19 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Spent the evening rough shaping the wing tips.

Next I will fit and hinge the elevons, before final tip shaping. This particular model requires a bit more reflex than today's designs, so I will attempt to get the tips to match the elevons.

Elevons will be center hinged with CA hinges. Monokote gap seals after covering and final assembly.

Man, I had forgotten how much work a wood glider is. Back in the day this was our only option and we didn't think about it.

EPP kit manufacturers have made our lives sooooo...... much easier and I want to take this opportunity to give them all a big; THANK YOU!
Last edited by Slopemaster; Aug 19, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply