to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2018, 03:10 AM
Wow! Really sorry to see that Frank! I was looking at the pics and thought that model looked amazing. I can't believe how quickly it turned towards the pits on touch down. Full left rudder didn't do anything! Really sucks...
May 25, 2018, 10:48 AM
Really sorry to see that. It was a tough day for airplanes. Looks like the old south cross-wind got another one. That wasn't my excuse. I just dumb thumbed mine.
May 26, 2018, 04:27 PM
Ooh the pain...

It's a real dilemma with Scale, carrier-based warbirds. Full stall three point, Idle throttle, full-up elevator gives the lowest speed but absolutely turns off the rudder authority until the tailwheel gets attached to the ground. Fine if you have an arresting hook, but a difficult situation on a runway. Wheel landing has a similar problem shared with many big radial powered taildraggers where there is a transition as the airspeed decreases and throttle is reduced ...the rudder turns off like a knife switch before the airspeed is low enough for the airplane not to want to fly in three point attitude. In full scale (C-195, Howard, C-185, V-77 Stinson, T-6) We were encouraged, and typically taught students, to do full stall, but when wheel landing a little throttle combined with differential braking sort of solves this dilemma. We'd steer with brakes until the speed bled off then ease the tail down. I can't imagine landing crosswind ( or trying to ) A T-6 or C-47 or Beech 18 without differential brakes. Same thing with the Chipmunk.

Frank is flying the most difficult configuration, of the most difficult (arguably) to land full scale Warbird in a noteworthy (probably a 25 Kts scale) 90 deg crosswind. It's why I've always said that flying these scale models is Waaaay more difficult than full scale. On carriers, like float planes there is NEVER a crosswind. And on military fields there was seldom more than 15 degrees (crosswind runways, Pensacola had three).

Anyway, We love you Frank, we hope your smiling face is intact and we also hope Horizon has another wing for you.

Cheers,

Joe
May 26, 2018, 08:23 PM
Thank's Joe,! Wing is on back order! it will be back in the air soon,$$$$$

Thank's again Joe

Frank
May 26, 2018, 11:26 PM
Very nice and informative post Joe. Back on the saddle Frank, I'm glad! Can't wait to see it in person fly again.
May 26, 2018, 11:48 PM
Thank's!!
Jun 02, 2018, 11:14 AM
Noooooooooooo! That's a heartbreaking video!

Quick Reply