May 24, 2018, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Horizon Hobby ASH-31

Finally we can stop talking about “something new” on the Horizon ASW-20 thread and talk about the new model. Almost 21 foot wingspan, all molded glass and carbon construction, 23 pounds flying weight but the best part is $2600 retail at your local hobby shop. THAT is a game changer. Comes with electric retract installed, electric spoilers installed, 4 piece wing with removable winglets.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2018, 09:16 AM
Horizon Hobby

images

Key Features
  • Pure scale sailplane for towing, slope soaring or self-launching with the electric power option
  • Elite Series fully-molded, all-composite construction to deliver unmatched fit, finish and performance
  • Constructed with layered carbon fiber and other premium composite materials
  • High-gloss, painted-in-the-mold finish for an outstanding appearance
  • Four-piece wing plus included wing bags for easy transportation and storage
  • Heavy-duty carbon fiber main wing joiner and carbon fiber wing tip joiners
  • Removable stabilizer for even easier storage and transportation
  • Factory-completed control surface hinging and control horn installation
  • Factory-installed proportional electric spoilers, electric retract and gear doors
  • Integrated tail wheel and wingtip wheels with fairings
  • Includes tow-release mechanism (servo required and sold separately)
  • Includes cockpit tub and instrument panel decal (optional pilot figure sold separately)
  • Hidden quick-release canopy hatch mechanism
  • Includes cockpit tub and instrument panel decal (optional pilot figure sold separately)
  • Decal set included
May 24, 2018, 09:25 AM
Horizon Hobby
We don't really do retail (fine point), but the street price is $2699.99. Free shipping in the lower 48.

While not specifically a custom-built model, availability will not be like typical Hangar 9 offerings. The supply will be steady but at a lower volume than usual. We expect the first shipment in November, preordering now would be the best way hold a spot in that first batch (until they are spoken for).

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Finally we can stop talking about ďsomething newĒ on the Horizon ASW-20 thread and talk about the new model. Almost 21 foot wingspan, all molded glass and carbon construction, 23 pounds flying weight but the best part is $2600 retail at your local hobby shop. THAT is a game changer. Comes with electric retract installed, electric spoilers installed, 4 piece wing with removable winglets.
May 24, 2018, 09:38 AM
well, craig, you told me at the AMA show that something big was brewing, and you didn't disappoint! All I can say is wow!
May 24, 2018, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I forgot that something like the E Flite Pawnee was usually not seen at the local hobby shop. I got too excited!!! Hey, I’m excited. Aerotow keeps growing and this new ASH-31 helps. I like that the optional power system is all figured out and a simple install. A perfect weekday flyer when all the towpilots can’t come out.
May 24, 2018, 09:45 AM
Kremer Aerotow Team
Already pre-ordered! Really excited for this one!
May 24, 2018, 09:47 AM
Horizon Hobby
You can absolutely get the ASH 31 from your local hobby shop, no problem at all. It would very likely be a custom order for them, due to the nature of the product very few stores will keep one on a shelf.

I was referring to the price terminology, we call the street price MAP. Commonly accepted as the 'retail' price.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Yes, I forgot that something like the E Flite Pawnee was usually not seen at the local hobby shop. I got too excited!!! Hey, Iím excited. Aerotow keeps growing and this new ASH-31 helps. I like that the optional power system is all figured out and a simple install. A perfect weekday flyer when all the towpilots canít come out.
May 24, 2018, 10:40 AM
Horizon Hobby
Video:
Hangar 9 ASH 31 6.4m ARF Sailplane (3 min 35 sec)
May 24, 2018, 10:44 AM
JohnVHRC
Pretty cool, wish they would come out with a decent DLG someday
May 24, 2018, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
For those of you who were still wanting the ASW-20, the new 31 is the logical choice, yes itís more money, but itís a LOT more airplane. Iíve been flying itís 40% big brother for a number of years and the 31 is a sweet flying model.
May 24, 2018, 12:41 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Very nice. Really hope there is going to be something to replace the ASW though (price point and size). This one is too big for me to be convenient, and way more money than I want to risk crashing.
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
May 24, 2018, 01:01 PM
Well I'm glad everyone now knows what it is, and we appreciate some of our customers who have already placed and order
Craig I would presume that it will be at the Horizon Aerotow in June, and maybe even be available for people to get a little stick time on it?
Jeremy
The Model Box 205 978 8787
May 24, 2018, 01:01 PM
Sailplane Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P.
Very nice. Really hope there is going to be something to replace the ASW though (price point and size). This one is too big for me to be convenient, and way more money than I want to risk crashing.
Wings are in 4 pieces and fuse is the same size that the ASW-20. So it will take less room, plus no need of cart to take off so the ASH-31 should be way more convenient than the ASW

As far as risk, we’ll we do all know that flying sailplane and airplane there is always that risk
May 24, 2018, 01:19 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Good to know that the fuse is same size as that is the biggest concern for transporting for me.

After an oversight in the ASWs recommended equipment that led to the demise of my ASW just seconds into the maiden, I’m not willing to put that many eggs in one basket though.
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
May 24, 2018, 01:21 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
I was pretty excited to see this. Maybe someday. Though Iím more a fan of the vintage or ones with pop up sls

Quick Reply