This thread is privately moderated by Dave Eichstedt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 23, 2018, 09:10 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

Even More Flights

Got 7 flights in today, including a flight by Ali Machinchy to gather his comments (he liked it!).

On three consecutive flights, I removed an ounce of lead from the nose and carefully repeated the stall testing. Great news - I don't need to put any weight back! She has a wide cg envelope while still maintaining reasonable stall characteristics. At the current cg, which is about 34% MAC, it still has a gentle stall. Compared to 30%-31%, where I could almost never get a wing to drop, at 34% you will see a wing drop about 30% of the time. Usually it's when holding full up to induce a stall, then continuing to hold as it tries to recover, thus forcing another stall. It's at this second stall where the wing drops, but then it's still benign. She changes heading about 90°, dips gently and recovers back to level in 20' of altitude or so.

I did have a gust tip her up on a wingtip during a rollout toward the end of the day. The stab made contact with the ground, and appears to have suffered a little damage. I'm going to add a little reinforcement there in the form of either a couple small stringers or a second spar. My philosophy is to design to fly, not crash, but she still needs to be able to withstand this level of knocking about to handle real life.

Michael Selig came out again and captured a bunch of video in 4K, so you can look for that soon. I'll post it in a comment below this thread when he has it processed, a process which takes a lot longer to do in 4K when compared to 1080p.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2018, 04:40 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
After checking out the damage, it doesn't look like a new spar or stringer will be needed in the stab. Instead, I thickened-up the root rib so the sheeting has more meat to glue onto. That should do it.

All repaired and ready to fly again!
May 25, 2018, 09:35 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Video is live
Ali Machinchy Flies David Eichstedt's DHC-2 Beaver (4 min 20 sec)

Quick Reply