Thread Tools
May 25, 2018, 09:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelonian
Would this motor work?
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

For an ESC, do I need to go to a 40A, or is that overkill? I'm just worried because the 30A toasted itself.
If you're shopping at Value Hobby , also pick up one of these : http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...p-acrocub.html

A flying buddy has one , I've flown it ..... one sweet flying plane . Use the recommended electronics .

They also have a larger version for $10 more : http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...rocub-epp.html

Both planes are made of very tough EPP .
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2018, 10:11 PM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
If you're shopping at Value Hobby , also pick up one of these : http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...p-acrocub.html

A flying buddy has one , I've flown it ..... one sweet flying plane . Use the recommended electronics .

They also have a larger version for $10 more : http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...rocub-epp.html

Both planes are made of very tough EPP .
Right now I am kind of trying to build my own plane, thanks though.
Last edited by Chelonian; May 25, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
May 25, 2018, 10:34 PM
treefinder
springer's Avatar
The Value Hobby website spec'ed a 20 amp esc for that motor on 3s and 9x6 prop, so I would think that a 30 amp esc should be enough safety factor. You should find that you will need a lot lower throttle setting to fly your plane with that motor/prop combo than the one you used. (the advantage of pushing a lot of air!) The current draw isn't linear, as the aerodynamic drag isn't linear. I can putter around at quarter throttle on many of my planes and only pull a few amps while full throttle will max out the esc. When you get the motor/prop sized for the plane all sorts of good things happen!
May 25, 2018, 10:50 PM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
The Value Hobby website spec'ed a 20 amp esc for that motor on 3s and 9x6 prop, so I would think that a 30 amp esc should be enough safety factor. You should find that you will need a lot lower throttle setting to fly your plane with that motor/prop combo than the one you used. (the advantage of pushing a lot of air!) The current draw isn't linear, as the aerodynamic drag isn't linear. I can putter around at quarter throttle on many of my planes and only pull a few amps while full throttle will max out the esc. When you get the motor/prop sized for the plane all sorts of good things happen!
Is the only problem with the 40A that it weighs more, or is there something else that makes it less than ideal? I only wonder this because they don't actually have the 30A one in stock. It only weighs seven grams more, which doesn't seem very significant. If the 30A would be a lot better I could just wait for it to come back in stock though.
May 25, 2018, 11:11 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
BHOFM's Avatar
As long as you are ordering, if you don't have a watt meter, get one! It saves a lot of money down
the road.
May 25, 2018, 11:40 PM
Registered User
Lawn Dart Flyer's Avatar
I love those motors and ESC's from value hobby, i have a lot of them. And as far as that motor goes I do use a 40A esc because they seem to always be out of the 30A. And sometimes even a decent ESC goes bad, like this one
May 26, 2018, 06:06 AM
Registered User
You didnt duy the clockwise rotation emax motor did you? If you used a normAl ccw prop it would make alot of noise Nd not produce much thrust. Some props don't even produce any i the opposite direction.

Just looked up some test data and supposedly that motor has been tested on 4s with a 6x4 prop pulling 30 amps and only got mildly warm unddr static load. Seems like this is a really cable motor. Might be worth checking to see if it's OK. Any motor I've smoked the visible windings are pretty black and the motor doesn't turn well
. Do you have a multimeter might be able to check for obvious shorts.
May 26, 2018, 07:51 AM
treefinder
springer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelonian
Is the only problem with the 40A that it weighs more, or is there something else that makes it less than ideal? I only wonder this because they don't actually have the 30A one in stock. It only weighs seven grams more, which doesn't seem very significant. If the 30A would be a lot better I could just wait for it to come back in stock though.
Pretty much " what the other guys said". There is nothing "wrong" with using the 40amp esc. But it does weigh a bit more (Not significant with your plane). It is usually physically larger, so may be a packaging issue. In some cases the wires are much heavier gage, and can make soldering connectors and running them tougher. Everything is doable, it is again like CG, personal preference once the basic requirements are met. If they say 20 amp don't use one rated less than that. Higher ratings as much as you can afford and fit in plane. (Though a hundred amp esc would be a bit silly! )
May 26, 2018, 08:25 AM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
You didnt duy the clockwise rotation emax motor did you? If you used a normAl ccw prop it would make alot of noise Nd not produce much thrust. Some props don't even produce any i the opposite direction.

Just looked up some test data and supposedly that motor has been tested on 4s with a 6x4 prop pulling 30 amps and only got mildly warm unddr static load. Seems like this is a really cable motor. Might be worth checking to see if it's OK. Any motor I've smoked the visible windings are pretty black and the motor doesn't turn well
. Do you have a multimeter might be able to check for obvious shorts.
I'm sure I had correct prop on it, there's no way it would have produced as much thrust as it did otherwise. And the letters on the prop were facing outwards like they should.

I'm pretty sure it was the ESC that went first, and then it somehow cooked the motor as well. The motor did turn pretty smoothly even after the fire.

I do have a multimeter.
May 26, 2018, 10:19 AM
treefinder
springer's Avatar
You can check each of the three branches by checking impedance to see if one is burnt open. Be careful with multimeter as an ammeter or wattmeter - insure it can handle the current.
May 26, 2018, 01:22 PM
Registered User
Yeah you don't want to shot out another esc. I did that had a faailer. Swapped out the esc and bang went the new esc. The motor was shorted...
May 27, 2018, 11:04 PM
flyin' fool
goldguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
You didnt duy the clockwise rotation emax motor did you? If you used a normAl ccw prop it would make alot of noise Nd not produce much thrust. Some props don't even produce any i the opposite direction..
???????

Whether it's CW or CCW refers to which direction you tighten the prop nut, the motor's rotation is determined by the three wire from the ESC.
Last edited by goldguy; May 28, 2018 at 03:22 AM.
May 28, 2018, 03:53 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
???????

Whether it's CW or CCW refers to which direction you tighten the prop nut, the motor's rotation is determined by the three wire from the ESC.
Yeah brain fart my bad but still valid point running a prop backwords makes more noise tha thrust...
May 28, 2018, 07:49 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Whiskers's Avatar
Back in the dim dark past when we were testing a free-flight power model with an 'all or nothing' glow motor we'd use the backwards prop to tame things down for those scary first trimming flights.
It seemed to halve the thrust if I remember correctly. (don't bet on it)
May 28, 2018, 09:49 AM
flyin' fool
goldguy's Avatar
Oh my, I remember those day.

Free flight = long long walks


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Mystery yh3090 servos are a bit of a mystery wayne beale Radios 0 Apr 30, 2018 12:32 AM
Discussion The RCGroups Team - Rolling, Rolling, Rolling!! Jim T. Graham SEFF 2016 5 Apr 14, 2016 12:00 AM
Discussion Mystery battery mystery frieslander Micro Helis 15 Jan 10, 2011 01:01 PM
Discussion 7.4v 15c Mystery battery's two mysteries..... encycom Batteries and Chargers 4 Mar 07, 2010 12:08 PM