Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 25, 2018, 11:18 AM
flyin' fool
Nose heavy requires up trim, tail heavy down trim to fly straight and level. Either is not ideal.

Start with adjusting the CG or decalage , so that with all control surface set at natural the model should glide perfectly. Under power the motor angles may then need adjusting. Then do the dive test to confirm your settings.

Landing should be accomplished by feeding in throttle, not elevator, for altitude.
Last edited by goldguy; May 25, 2018 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2018, 11:38 AM
treefinder
I have an i6 and it has been fine for over 1000ft away. Make sure you have the RX antennas 90 degrees to each other.
May 25, 2018, 12:01 PM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I have an i6 and it has been fine for over 1000ft away. Make sure you have the RX antennas 90 degrees to each other.
So perpendicular? Right now I have them almost facing away from each other, so I will definitely change that.
May 25, 2018, 12:05 PM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Aileron included.

The thickest part of the wing is not the CG. A good flat bottomed airfoil has the CG set at 30% where the thickest part of the cord it at 40%.
If I include the aileron it's 23% from leading edge, and looking closer I guess it's not quite at the highest cambered point, but it's quite close.
May 25, 2018, 12:06 PM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Nose heavy requires up trim, tail heavy down trim to fly straight and level. Either is not ideal.

Start with adjusting the CG or decalage , so that with all control surface set at natural the model should glide perfectly. Under power the motor angles may then need adjusting. Then do the dive test to confirm your settings.

Landing should be accomplished by feeding in throttle, not elevator, for altitude.
I moved the battery about 3/4in forward, we will see if that helps.
May 25, 2018, 01:19 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelonian
So perpendicular? Right now I have them almost facing away from each other, so I will definitely change that.
For best signal transmission , the Flysky FS-i6 transmitter has two internal antennae perpendicular to each other . For best signal reception , the two receiver antennae should also be perpendicular to each other .
May 25, 2018, 01:19 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelonian
Yup, you don't want them parallel or in same line. I __ not II or __ __ ( if those emoji-like pictures make sense)
May 25, 2018, 02:11 PM
Disaster magnet
So uhhh, I flew it, at least for a little while.

It seems whatever I did with the CG plus the radio stuff really did the trick. It was flying pretty nicely.

At least, that is, until it caught on fire. Apparently the eight buck Chinesium "30A" ESC had decided that it was done with life and cooked itself and the motor in midair. I still had control of the servos, so I did manage to glide it down reasonably well. As soon as it landed, I could see a plume of white smoke coming up from it. I ran over, unplugged and removed the battery, and stepped back to let it finish burning.

It quickly stopped smoking after I unplugged the battery, and after closer inspection, I figured out that both the ESC and the motor were cooked. I'm not sure which one was producing the majority of the smoke, but the ESC had become so hot that it had melted the heat-shrink right off. Fortunately, the paper on the foam did not catch fire, and the main body of the plane dosen't seem too worse for wear.

I guess it's also possible that the motor shorted somehow and pulled a huge amount of current, frying the ESC.

This day apparently marks my first RC experience that included fire. Here are a few photos of the damaged components:
May 25, 2018, 04:50 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Chelonian, you have a great talent for generating disasters. It's almost a Super Power
May 25, 2018, 05:24 PM
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-analyzer.html
May 25, 2018, 07:59 PM
Disaster magnet
Well my newly acquired super power has struck again, because my hands still have that burning electronic smell on them. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, but it's no use, my hands still smell like microwaved circuit boards

On a totally unrelated note, how do I change the little description under my name from just "Chelonian" to "Has disaster generating super powers" ?
May 25, 2018, 08:27 PM
treefinder
Click on "my RCGroups" on header right under the RCG logo. On left column is your control panel, and profile settings you want to change the "custom user title ". You can also put your location in your profile.

Had to chuckle, the smell of escaped magic smoke is incredibly persistent! Try some alcohol, but it just may have to wear off like Gorilla glue. Don't feel too bad, most all of us have smoked one at least once!

If you are into post mortems, I would guess esc failed since not all coils were burnt. A wattmeter is a good way to prevent over tasking esc/motor/Prop combos. If you are gonna stay with that size plane, it is time to get a better suited motor. I think banggood still has the race star motors on sale. I picked up a 50 gm 1000kv one for $4.99usd with free shipping a couple weeks ago. https://m.banggood.com/Racerstar-BR2...p-1083190.html that one doesn't have connectors, so you will have to order them too.
Last edited by springer; May 25, 2018 at 08:42 PM.
May 25, 2018, 08:51 PM
Disaster magnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Click on "my RCGroups" on header right under the RCG logo. On left column is your control panel, and profile settings you want to change the "custom user title ". You can also put your location in your profile.

Had to chuckle, the smell of escaped magic smoke is incredibly persistent! Try some alcohol, but it just may have to wear off like Gorilla glue. Don't feel too bad, most all of us have smoked one at least once!

If you are into post mortems, I would guess esc failed since not all coils were burnt. A wattmeter is a good way to prevent over tasking esc/motor/Prop combos. If you are gonna stay with that size plane, it is time to get a better suited motor. I think banggood still has the race star motors on sale. I picked up a 50 gm 1000kv one for $4.99usd with free shipping a couple weeks ago. https://m.banggood.com/Racerstar-BR2...p-1083190.html that one doesn't have connectors, so you will have to order them too.
Thanks, it worked, unfortunately, it has a maximum length, so I just summed it up with "disaster magnet".

Is it the high KV that makes the motor unsuitable, or is just smaller than it should be? I just have three more of them, and would like to use them on something (I got four for free from a defective quadcopter along with the FS-i6 radio system). If it would solve a lot of problems though, I will purchase a lower KV / larger motor.
May 25, 2018, 09:04 PM
Disaster magnet
Would this motor work?
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

For an ESC, do I need to go to a 40A, or is that overkill? I'm just worried because the 30A toasted itself.
May 25, 2018, 09:09 PM
treefinder
Yup, that's in the ballpark. 46 gm, 1250kv 9x6 prop on 3s. I would get a 30 amp esc for it. Should fly your plane fine.

As to the cause, it's probably both small motor and high Kv, as it probably had to work pretty hard to fly the plane. The three motors you have would work well on a prop jet or small flying wing where the small prop they take and high rpms will be effective. I'm sure some guys will chime in with suggestions.

Quick Reply