May 23, 2018, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Banana Hobby asking about interest in 747

Here's the text:
Hi Pilots! Would you like to see a RC EDF 747? Chime in here and let us know your thoughts! We would like hear what size EDF, Wingspan, Version, Lipo Size, and anything you would like to say about a RC 747! We would love to hear from you! Please chime in!

https://www.facebook.com/bananahobby...type=3&theater
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2018, 12:18 PM
dare to be dull
I would be on board to buy the first one as long as it’s 3m span minimum. Various mfrs have released smaller ones and they just don’t make it out of the toy airplane league.

I would want a -100 fuselage so I could build a NASA shuttle carrier. Others might want the more modern look with the longer upper deck. Perhaps there’s a way to make that area a removable hatch with options for either style.

It should be built around 2 Edf in the inboard nacelles, with dummy nacelles outboard. Theres no good reason to add the weight and complexity of motors and fans to the outboard wings. 2x. 90 or 100mm fans ought to be able to supply scale power

Powering only the inboard locations makes possible to have the wings removable outboard of the inner pylon locations. This allows the owner to leave the motor and retract systems hooked up while transporting

Thanks. For the question!
May 30, 2018, 01:09 PM
This RC 747 EDF seems about the right size!

(2 min 5 sec)
May 30, 2018, 03:53 PM
My understanding is that foam airliners have never sold well. Large size limits market, and the smaller ones tend to be heavy, like the Supreme Air. No surprise Horizon never came out with another airliner, as the customer base and profit margins aren't there. The Supreme Air probably would have been a decent airframe if the retracts were scrapped. People aren't interested in practicality, such as the 40"-45" span range with light weight 30-40mm fans such as the QX fan, light weight outrunner, or the older 12mm inrunner designs. If using retracts, something like a GP10 retract unit, with a single retract servo for all 3 gear would be practical. Done it before, and not difficult to arrange. 3 servoless retract units tends to create a tank, in the smaller scales. Problem again is people like to see the heavy gear units move slowly, versus having something that's flyable for the masses.
May 31, 2018, 12:43 AM
DFS#000178
Horizon did have a Facebook post a few weeks ago about "reintroducing" the Super Airliner. But nothing about it since.
May 31, 2018, 10:22 AM
I, Personally, would love to see either a Quad 70mm or Twin 90mm 747. I've owned the Eflite super Airliner, still own 2 Windrider 737's, and have built 5 other 737's. I understand it is not something EVERYONE will be waiting in line over, but hey, I'd buy one.....
Jun 05, 2018, 05:46 PM
Since I don't have a Facebook account, (Had to shut it down, ex girl friends were going to get me divorced).

I would certainly be interested. I would probably like a 737 better though. They have done an A380, I would think a 747 would sell better. But that's just me. I actually have the A380, and the C-17 already. Probably would spring for one of the 747's too. A lot depends on the livery options available. I'd like a North West Airlines livery.

Woody
Jun 08, 2018, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock
Since I don't have a Facebook account, (Had to shut it down, ex girl friends were going to get me divorced).

I would certainly be interested. I would probably like a 737 better though. They have done an A380, I would think a 747 would sell better. But that's just me. I actually have the A380, and the C-17 already. Probably would spring for one of the 747's too. A lot depends on the livery options available. I'd like a North West Airlines livery.

Woody
I placed my thoughts with them last week, for me a span no bigger than 72 in as flying sites are limited in the UK...unless you have access to a disused airfield.
I did, however, make the suggestion that it needs to be light...so it flys scale like...so maybe something with a helium insert throughout the fuzz
like the indoor vids, we have all seen would be ideal.

And yes NWA schemes get the vote from me.........
Jun 08, 2018, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette84
I placed my thoughts with them last week, for me a span no bigger than 72 in as flying sites are limited in the UK...unless you have access to a disused airfield.
I did, however, make the suggestion that it needs to be light...so it flys scale like...so maybe something with a helium insert throughout the fuzz
like the indoor vids, we have all seen would be ideal.

And yes NWA schemes get the vote from me.........
Ya know, it's simply one of the best planes ever built, for more reasons than I can count. I was in one once that was struck by a heck of a bolt of lightning, while landing at BKK. I actually got the privilege of landing one in Taiwan, as I use to fly C-130 in the Air National Guard. It was one of the easiest to fly planes I've ever flown. Very forgiving. If the model is done right, I would suspect anyone would be able to fly it. Well almost every one. My point being, you will not have to be some sort of superstar RC pilot to fly this plane.

Best Regards
Woody
Jun 10, 2018, 05:18 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
I think a 6-7 foot Long 747-400 or 8I would be a great product for Banana Hobby.
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
Jun 10, 2018, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver
I think a 6-7 foot Long 747-400 or 8I would be a great product for Banana Hobby.
You are a respected member of this community Demondriver and I agree it would be a great product however for me it has to be the classic -200
spent many years around them until there retirement with NWA.
Jun 11, 2018, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette84
You are a respected member of this community Demondriver and I agree it would be a great product however for me it has to be the classic -200
spent many years around them until there retirement with NWA.
I like classics too, Just like a 737-100 would be nice.
Model companies like fads, whatever they think is the most popular version known to the public, and plastering models with cheesy details such as Red Bull stickers. Thanks to them in part however, it's part of what got me scratch building, and building subjects like the DH 106 Comet and TU 104.
Model companies do the same thing with beautiful planes like the original P80, having to make the less clean looking T33 instead, as it's possibly more well known and used in more modern times.
Jun 14, 2018, 05:42 PM
Avoid The Ground!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
I like classics too, Just like a 737-100 would be nice.
Model companies like fads, whatever they think is the most popular version known to the public, and plastering models with cheesy details such as Red Bull stickers. Thanks to them in part however, it's part of what got me scratch building, and building subjects like the DH 106 Comet and TU 104.
Model companies do the same thing with beautiful planes like the original P80, having to make the less clean looking T33 instead, as it's possibly more well known and used in more modern times.

Windrider has 737's
Jun 15, 2018, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexserve
windrider has 737's
737-100?
Jun 15, 2018, 11:16 AM
dare to be dull
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
737-100?
The problem with the -100 is getting an edf that fits in the narrow nacelle. Just about impossible to get enough power from one that fits in the scale nacelle. Models of the modern 737s with the high bypass fan can accommodate a useful range of fans.

Quick Reply