Jun 11, 2018, 09:34 PM
It does look a bit like a C130....but it's an Autogyro
Last edited by britinoz; Jun 13, 2018 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2018, 04:07 PM
Blades done, largest with pine and balsa section... oh yes and a milestone ... 100th hand made blade !!
Aug 15, 2018, 09:19 PM
And there was me thinking that you had dropped this project.
You actually count the blades that you have made ..reallyI like that Steve....I put a stroke on my models after a flight so I know how many flight each has had.
How many U/C have you bent
Happy Landings
Chris...
Aug 16, 2018, 04:06 AM
Nope Chris, some holiday time with the boss.. now back on it and model is in the body shop for finishing and painting. Going ok so far

On the blades front .. yep a bit sad I guess but I do find them relaxing and satisfying to make

Steve
Aug 16, 2018, 04:55 AM
Cheers Steve they have never been a problem for me either.
Chris...
Aug 16, 2018, 01:27 PM
What could possibly go wrong!!
Rather big blades say 50cm each, Fairey Rotodyne???
Aug 16, 2018, 03:09 PM
Nope chris is doing that

they are 810mm )

Steve
Aug 28, 2018, 03:24 PM
Blades done !!
Sep 17, 2018, 10:27 AM
Finally the end result

Steve & Tim's new toy (2 min 22 sec)
Last edited by 106flyer; Sep 17, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
Sep 17, 2018, 01:02 PM
What could possibly go wrong!!
Top job Steve
Sep 17, 2018, 05:07 PM
Thanks Chas, two very tense circuits with the larger blades... some more work to do but getting there and now time to share the story to this point....

9 months ago it all started with a single picture

Not much other data could be found , just 3 more pictures.. and a phone call to Tim.. his CAD skills at the ready and we were off....
Sep 17, 2018, 10:08 PM
WOW .... was worth the wait....great project boys....but ..what is it ??
Chris...
Sep 18, 2018, 02:17 AM
The Rabouyt D2 was a two-seat autogyro, with an engine driven rotor for vertical take-offs. In level flight the aircraft was powered by the same engine driving a shrouded, pusher configuration propeller. It was designed and built in France in the early 1970s by Denis Rabouyt.

Design and development
The D2 was primarily an autogyro driven by a pusher configuration, shrouded propeller whilst supported by an autorotatiing undriven two blade rotor. It was unusual in that the rotor could be powered, by the same engine that drove the propeller, during a vertical take-off phase to overcome the autogyro's normal limiting need for a take-off run.[1]

The D2's main rotor had constant chord blades of laminated wood, covered with geodesic glass fibre fabric. They were pillar mounted, together with a torque limiting coupler, at mid fuselage between the cabin and engine compartment. The fuselage was a steel-chromium-vanadium pod, with two side by side seats in a cabin glazed to the nose and accessed by a forward opening door on each side. The pusher configuration engine was mounted behind the cabin, driving a four blade propeller turning within a circular, aerofoil shroud supported by a ventral pod extension and braced to the rotor pillar. A vertical tail consisting of a small fin and large rudder was mounted on a boom from the lower fuselage. The D2 landed on a fixed tricycle undercarriage, each wheel within a streamlined fairing on a cantilever leg. The nosewheel was steerable via the rudder pedals.[1]

The Rabouyt D2 first appeared in public at the Paris Air Show of 1971, though it is not known if the aircraft had flown by this date. For early testing it was fitted with a low powered engine which was being replaced in early 1973 by a 150 hp flat-four of unspecified type.[2]

It is not known if it was flown.
Sep 18, 2018, 02:18 AM
Some pics to show the project progress..

Quick Reply