This thread is privately moderated by Keith Kindrick, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 22, 2018, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Adam Nelsen a true sportsman

It is the times in life where you meet people who for some reason you cannot understand provide a prescience when you are with them. Adam Nelson did that to me. We lost Adam last night when he succumbed to his battle with Brain cancer. Three years ago was when I had first met Adam. He was known to me as the guy who takes a ton of pictures and post them to Dropbox for all of us to see. I learned more about Adam through Steve George as he mentioned Adam was going to take the role as CD for the Fall Soaring Festival. That is a huge responsibility and one I have seen Phil Hill and Claude Turner fill year after year. Learning that Adam had been a successful Lawyer made it clear to me that he was more than capable of handling these duties as well as dealing with people. Adam had a way of taking the events energy then redeploying it back to the pilots who were in the event. He was also very good at talking to you and making an idea seem like it was yours and you went away with a smile. His passion for the sport was always present wanting to give back to make the sport move forward. In his last role as a CD for the 2018 Bent wing event he created a special event to promote a sailplane design. This year it was the Aquila. You can read my prior post on this experience.

In life we have regrets and mine is not taking the time to walk over and see Adam on the Friday ALES event thinking he would be around the next two days. Adam was not able to make it out the next two day and I regret not stopping on Friday to talk to him in person. The other was two years prior when Adam, Art Chmielewski, and I had a conversation on road bikes. I did not know that Adam had ridden a road bike and he was telling us we should come up a few days prior to the next yearís bent wing and he would take us on a nice ride. In the spring of 2017 we never spoke of it and this ride did not happen. Life moved along and in the summer of 2017 Adam started to have a few new signs that something was off. In the fall of 2017 he knew he had Brain cancer. The news of that hit me knowing our ride was not going to happen.

In his last e-mail to me I found a sense of optimism that made me feel his presence. When you read this message you cannot leave without a sense of what really matters. Iíll always feel Adams presence at the CVRC flying field just like I do from John Rodgers and all of the others who have walked that flying site and have passed on. His family will always be in my thoughts.

My mindset has definitely changed since last October when I was diagnosed. Itís no longer about my score on the golf course, but enjoying the quiet and beautiful back nine. I donít care about a new/best Strava time climbing Yokuhl valley on my bike, but rather simply looking around and taking it all in. And if I only have room for one sailplane, itís gonna be my gas bag Aquila and beach chair, not my X3. For me the older sailplanes are so nostalgic, and are as much about my pure love of aviation in general, about my love and relationship with my dad, than anything else. You and Fred get that, i know, which Iíve enjoyed watching and reading during sleepless nights. As corny as this sounds, I was looking forward to reading that plaque, shaking your hand, and thanking you in person. Maybe next year ; )

I read a lot of older soaring mags and recall seeing pictures of an Al Kindrick. Was he related to You? I also love that 2 tone blue color scheme on the Viking ll you did. Iíll be copying that someday. What color covering is that dark grey on your Aquila? Pearl charcoal ultracote maybe? Iíve got 2 LJ Panteras almost ready to cover and am interested in that grey, etc etc etc. (this is how my sleepless nights go : ) Itís all good. Like I said, I might complain during the day about my situation. But, at the end of the day, nothing but gratitude. So in that vein a big THANKS to you for your kind words and support. I really do appreciate them in these hard times.

See you soon at the field Keith

Adam
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply