May 22, 2018, 12:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Taranis + R-XSR causing FPV video noise / interference

On five of my builds and on three quadcopters of another user (@Gozzz) we have RX- induced horizontal interference lines (grey/light panning stripes) in the 5.8GHz video feed. On different VTX (TBS, Furious, Akk) and FCs (Omnibus, Piko, Kakute).

Video interference starts as soon as Taranis is switched on. Gone when switching off again. R-XSR is on FPort protocol.

Tried:
- changed VTX band/channels
- changed VTX
- powered VTX / cam from alternate sources (LiPo, FC, VTX --> cam)
- move Taranis away from quad --> interference stays

Only workaround so far: Move R-XSR AND its antennae (even though shielded!) Faaaar away from any video + GND cables. But still interference is visible ��

Anyone else having this issue and found a solution? Any hints?
Last edited by RePli; May 22, 2018 at 12:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2018, 05:42 AM
Do you have black lines or white lines?

With my R-XSR, I have no problem.
I have a capacitor on my power in (35v 1000uF)
May 22, 2018, 08:23 AM
The R-XSR does transmit the telemetry data and I guess it's possible that it could get into the video if things are too close. I have not had this problem with any of mine but I do not have the receiver real close to the VTX either.
May 22, 2018, 08:37 AM
I have this same issue with my betafpv tiny whoop fc with a built in frsky rx. The video is very sensitive to the placement of the rx antenna. get it wrong and you see lines in the video. bend it a little bit and it gets better but due to the tiny size of a tiny whoop it is impossible to completely eliminate the noise.
May 22, 2018, 03:08 PM
Thanks to this thread I was able to figure out my issue, I had video noise on a newly built quad that I couldn't get rid of. My r-xsr sbus wire was too close to my camera signal wire. I honestly had no idea that the rx sbus wire could cause video noise.
May 22, 2018, 06:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for chiming in 🙂

I have capacitors on some builds, too. This doesn't change the a thing for me. It's obviously not about the main power line, but R-XSR to Video cross talk...
May 22, 2018, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Lines are not distinctly black or white, it's grey/light banding overlaid over video. Horizontal banding, moving over the screen top / bottom.
Jul 10, 2018, 07:47 PM

I have the same issue did you ever resolve it?

I have faint white horizontal lines that scroll slowly. I have tried every variation in the power wiring but I still did interference I even remove the Telemetry wire temporarily to see if it resolved... No dice. I believe the interference is coming from the RF and not the power filtering. Unplugging my camera I can see betaflight OSD and interference, unwiring the OSD I can see interference... Relocating the RX antenna in the VTX antenna on the quad is not really an option as it's a 3-inch build...
Jul 30, 2018, 04:12 AM

Same problem

I got the same problem. I have video interference on one, but not on the other. Both use the R-XSR and are completely identical.
Aug 18, 2018, 12:36 PM
I just fixed this issue moments ago and decided to do a search on how common it is since it was my first encounter. In my case, a runcam swift and the rxsr were on the same 5v circuit. I tried a pi filter on the camera feed lines but it did nothing. I ended up moving the camera to vbat and the pi filter is keeping it clean there. Anyone else with this issue sharing 5v power with the camera and rx?
Oct 27, 2018, 07:16 AM
Yea ive had this before. Quite bad and very noticeable noise only when the taranis is turned on, I think it may be the S.Port. A simple re routing of cables sorted it for me. Very strange.
Nov 09, 2018, 07:41 PM
Iíve been having this problem also.

Pyro F4 OSD
TBS Unify 5v
Micro Eagle
Taranis X-Lite
R-XSR

Everything updated to latest firmware.

First flight I had no issues.
Second flight mid pack I lost video randomly while close range. Now when I power my quad I get perfect video, turn on my Tx and I get interference and video feed goes nuts. Have no idea whatís going on and my friend is having the same issue with a x9d, rxsr, different FC and VTX.

What gives? Is the R-XSR just that much of a pain?
Nov 09, 2018, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRONZ305
Iíve been having this problem also.

Pyro F4 OSD
TBS Unify 5v
Micro Eagle
Taranis X-Lite
R-XSR

Everything updated to latest firmware.

First flight I had no issues.
Second flight mid pack I lost video randomly while close range. Now when I power my quad I get perfect video, turn on my Tx and I get interference and video feed goes nuts. Have no idea whatís going on and my friend is having the same issue with a x9d, rxsr, different FC and VTX.

What gives? Is the R-XSR just that much of a pain?
Just reroute the RXSR antennas and cabling to be well clear of video. I have to say I've had this issue aswell with the RXSR a lot of times but rerouted and all is good, also I have never had a failsafe with my RXSR and right now its mounted underneath my ESC.
Nov 10, 2018, 12:44 AM
I’ll give that a shot. When I was in contact with my buddy he had his quad taken apart with everything spread apart and still had the issue. He swapped in a XM+ and problem went away so this is really puzzling. The RXSR was the only variable that was causing the issue. I’ve just never delt or seen this happen before so found it bizarre
Jan 30, 2019, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFastEnuf
I just fixed this issue moments ago and decided to do a search on how common it is since it was my first encounter. In my case, a runcam swift and the rxsr were on the same 5v circuit. I tried a pi filter on the camera feed lines but it did nothing. I ended up moving the camera to vbat and the pi filter is keeping it clean there. Anyone else with this issue sharing 5v power with the camera and rx?
an extra 5V regulator for my r-xsr did the job

Quick Reply