May 21, 2018, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyking Flying Illusion BAE HAWK 70mm EDF EPO

This is my first EDF, so I don't care about speed as I just want it to fly reliably to learn the ropes.

I'm going to keep it light and stock as possible and am using the stock 5 blade fan and:
3s, 2200, 40c lipo.
Turnigy 2836 Brushless EDF Motor 3200kv.
50amp esc.
Tactic TS-10 digital servos (I had them laying around and they fit perfect) for the ailerons and elevator, 2 servos total.
One 9g cheap servo for the nose gear steering.
ESC extensions, 250mm

I balanced the fan and soldered all the connections last night. Upon initial tests with a 3s, 2200 battery, it all sounds good, is smooth, and seems to have plenty of thrust.

Everyone seems to really mod this plane out, but I'm going light cheap and simple and will just have fun with it as an EDF trainer. More build pics to come.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2018, 09:04 AM
Thread OP

Power system

Got the power system mounted and the fan glued in (permanently mounted). Here's a few pics. It's a cheap plane, so I just permanently glued the EDF unit in. I guess I could always dig it out if needed... It seems to run great on 3s and once I get the plane built with servos mounted I will do a watt test.
May 22, 2018, 12:35 PM
Got mine on a sale a few months back and slowly put it together as cheaply and lightly as I could as well.

Used stock fan, gifted 28mm 3400 or 3500kv motor (can't remember) and a fms 70a esc that almost cost me this plane due to bec giving up on the runway just before maiden. Installed a small life pack for rx.

Added a rudder, fitted two elevator servos to the rear, stock landing gear and one aileron servo. Stock elevator pushrods were unusable so elevator mod was forced on me but worked out well to put more weight on the tail to offset the 4s 2200mah I use.

Originally seen 45 amps on this setup but after installation seen 66a which I maidened on with throttle control, need to reduce this and prob will just put a throttle curve in.

So all in prob $60 in this plane and maiden went well at 90mm from leading edge and she is a sweetheart with no bad habits at 1100g.

Edit: forgot to say I added a couple carbon strips and a fibre glass rod spar to the tail and vertical stab for strength as well as adding a outer ply mount to bolt the rear wing tab securely to the wing.
Last edited by raydar; May 22, 2018 at 01:15 PM.
May 23, 2018, 09:18 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the pics and mods, it's good to know it flys well and is easy to build being such a cheap jet! I'm just trying to go as light as possible with 3s and will see what happens. The tailfeathers could use some reinforcements, but for now we will see how it holds up...

I got the tail-feathers glued in using Foam Tac. I like using Foam Tac minis as I don't use it much being a balsa builder and it hardens in the tube after sitting for a while FOAM TAC MINIS.
May 25, 2018, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Alright, got the plane together, electronic mounted and just need to decal, check cg and do a watt test. It is pretty easy to assemble, but the directions suck. I guess you cant ask much for a $40 EDF jet!
May 25, 2018, 02:53 PM
Had mine out again today, flew in some suspect wind and it was a very quick flight, one circuit and land lol. Live to fly another day.
May 26, 2018, 08:42 PM
Thread OP

Ready to fly

I finished the cg and had to add 35grams of lead to the rear to get it balanced out around 90mm from the wing leading edge closest to fuse. Others say anywhere from 90-105mm from the inside wing leading edge is a good place for the cg and it looks about right.
Total weight (AUP) is 921g, about 2lbs. I did a watt test and it came out to around 400 watts (probably more on a fully charged 3s) so that is around 200 watts per pound. That should push it around pretty good, but I am new to EDF so I'm not sure it that equates the same as prop watts? Anyway go the decals on and it is ready for maiden. The decals seem to be peeling up, but hopefully they stick on better as time goes by.
Jun 07, 2018, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Finally got around to a maiden flight today! With the 3s, 2200 batteries I am using, I get a safe 3 minutes of flight time at full throttle and I did push it to 4 minutes and it went into LVC. I had to dead stick land and it did very well as it has good low speed handling characteristics. I ROG off of grass and it took a lot of runway to get airborne, but once in the air it flew very smoothly and was easy to control. I did have to add a lot of up trim to the elevator and need to reset the linkage a bit for that. It seems a little underpowered with 3s, but it's good enough for me to mess around with as it's my first EDF jet and it rolls and loops ok, so no worries. It looks and sounds cool and that's what counts, right?

Quick Reply