View Poll Results: Do you want 3 days of catered lunches at the TS event?
YES 16 76.19%
NO 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 03, 2018, 08:24 PM
KC6ZZS
Oops, I forgot to mention the Junior Team USA. Another strong team. I can't wait to read about their victories next year.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2018, 09:31 PM
Overkill is underrated
Oleg flew a light Ultima 1 almost exclusively according to my insider information. His Volo May have seen air twice. Charlie was flying an Ultima 1 as well but I don’t know the build. And Jonathan was on an Ultima 2 all or almost all of the contest.

Ed
Last edited by elac2az; Sep 03, 2018 at 09:53 PM.
Sep 03, 2018, 10:04 PM
Aussie F3K Team
Congratulations Oleg, Charlie, Jonathan, Daniel and Dennis on making the team. Well flown!
It looked like trying to choose a launch height for the day 3, 15 minute tasks was really tough. 230 and 240m launch heights wining one round, 8 minute flights winning the next, then sub 100m launches winning the next. Phew!! I was nervous just watching. Well done for holding it all together people!
Sep 03, 2018, 11:07 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thanks for all your kind messages and praises.
I am ecstatic for sure and still walking a few feet above the ground (actually sitting in the hotel room now).
What a tough contest and tons of adrenaline in the blood stream. The 15 minute rounds were certainly a challenge, both in terms of soaring and math - what is a good launch height if there are no thermals, what if there is a small chance of lift, what if others don’t make the full time and I launched too high, etc. Several times I thought I lost badly only to find that I actually won the round. And the opposite of course too - launch a bit too high when somebody in your group gets away with a crazy low launch, and pay the price. With 15 min task it was often not obvious who won the round - a short time could still be the winner of others launched well above 200m.

Huge thanks to Jim Monaco and his crew for organizing a great event. The field and views were gorgeous. The sloped ground made things very “interesting” often especially when the wind was down hill. Caused a lot of pain

Congrats to my future teammates! Looking forward to flying for the USA team in Slovakia next year!

PS. I flew my old Ultima in all but 2 rounds. It is my lightest and floatiest plane despite the old age and dents and bruises. When the wind picked up pretty strong I flew my Volo which is a great plane for those conditions. I need to get me a couple ultra light Volo planes now!

Last edited by olgol; Sep 05, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Sep 03, 2018, 11:52 PM
M Seid
Oleg!

Memories of our first wc event in Sweden many years ago! Congrats on the wc team for F5j!
Sep 04, 2018, 12:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Ultima's in the top 4 spots, correct?
Way to scratch your way back Toby. Pretty gritty comeback. Just a bit short.
Congrats to the "Team".
Cary
Sep 04, 2018, 01:46 AM
Overkill is underrated
Congratulations to the strong showing by EVEF members who filled out 5 of the top 12 positions with our own Charlie Morris placing second and becoming a Team USA pilot.
Hope everyone that competed will make the trip to the first event of the 2019 F5J Tour when EVEF holds the F5J in the Desert event in early December. We will be announcing the date soon.

Ed
Sep 04, 2018, 02:39 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFlopper
If I'm not mistaken, Ultima's in the top 4 spots, correct?
Way to scratch your way back Toby. Pretty gritty comeback. Just a bit short.
Congrats to the "Team".
Cary
Looks as though the 5 top pilots flew an Ultima 1 or Ultima 2 during the competition (some just for a few rounds some the entire competition). I think Jonathan and Toby flew the U2 exclusively.
Sep 04, 2018, 08:46 AM
solastagia
What happened to Ali? He was flying so consistently in the top three or four, and then had to drop out for some reason?

Kevin
Sep 04, 2018, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W
What he said... Jim is a soaring hero.
Nope - I facilitate our flying heros... The main thing is that I could not and would not do these events without my best buddy John Lovins! John is the guy that makes the hard things happen... I get the "glory" and John quietly does the work. What has made all the events we have run in the last many years successful is teamwork. Between the two of us very little falls in the cracks - but still we make mistakes. Example - screwed up the Junior Trophies.. Arrg.

The amazing thing is that John can do all this and still fly amazing. His 6th place finish was awesome and he was definitely in the hunt the whole event.

We also have a GREAT club that really steps up to make things work. Many thanks to Bob Pederson for handling the CD task. He did a great job and the event was extremely smooth. Scoring by Erin Hsu, and Dan and Mellisa Hesselius - another task off my plate. All of our timers standing out in the sun for 3 days we very much appreciated.

It takes a village - and we have a great village here at RMSA!

Still recovering but I will have a recap of the event later...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words...

Jim
Sep 04, 2018, 09:43 AM

Also Interested

What happened to Ali? Yes Kevin, inquiring minds would like to know. ALI WHAT HAPPENED???
Cary
Sep 04, 2018, 09:50 AM

Scores and Statistics

For those that want the gory details - here are all the available reports and statistics...
Jim
Last edited by jimsoars; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Header on Overall Scores was wrong
Sep 04, 2018, 01:08 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Oleg left 10 landing points on the table out of 18 rounds! WOW!
Sep 04, 2018, 06:44 PM
RV7guy

Incredible contest

All the credit in the world goes to Jim Monaco and John Lovins for a successful contest. This was without question the smoothest contest I've ever attended. There were only about 10 minutes of delays with a couple of minor computer glitches. Super smooth. Bob Pederson did an amazing job of CD'ing with a definite no BS process!!!

As most know, due to a change in the flight patterns at DIA a change of venue was needed in short order. These guys pulled rabbits out of their hats to make it happen. The venue is without equal. Beautiful grass with close by restaurants and hotels. I cannot praise them enough for their hard work and dedication to our great hobby. Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!!

I think because of the conditions we have selected the best possible team to represent the USA. The air density was between 7000 and 8000 feet all three days. Getting times and working hard to get them was really tough at times. I firmly believe you will see this team on the podium at the Worlds with all three of them more than capable of taking it all.

Very proud to be a part of this first team process.

Again thanks to Jim, John and Bob Pederson!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Sep 04, 2018, 06:51 PM
Tragic case
Its certainly interesting to compare the European championships recently held in Bulgaria with the US team selection in terms of results, conditions and models.

However since I wasn't at either event all I can observe is the scores, videos/photos and reports of models. Since the conditions and models were so different I'm not sure that there is any general message except that maybe light models do well well when its not windy and lift is patchy and vice versa. And we already knew that.

Quick Reply