Question

Xtreme XPS Rx, Reversing Servo Directions

A) Which of the following can be used to reverse the servo directions,

1. XPS Rx 8 ch
2. XPS Rx 10 ch
3. XPS Rx Nano 1
4. XPS Rx Nano III
5. XPS Nano IV

B) Is the “ XtremeLink® Device Programmer” with the wiring and a PC the only equipment required to perform this task?

C) What software should be downloaded?

D) What is the expected availability of the XtremeLink® Device Programmer?

Thank you
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2018, 11:15 AM
Once in a lifetime
Are you using a transmitter? Use that to reverse the servo direction.
May 20, 2018, 12:24 PM
A) ALL of these devices can have their channels reversed using the XDP software.

B) Yes, but you can also use our Serial Link with a Nano or RFU to replace the XDP hardware.

C) The XDP software installer.

D) Likely never again. You can use our Serial Link and a Nano or RFU to take the place of the XDP hardware. It's a cheaper/better solution because you can use the Serial Link for the X10+ and X24, and the Nano can be used a receiver.
May 23, 2018, 04:34 PM
Thank you Mr. Drew, I will purchase that.
My transmitter is a single stick that does not have servo reversing, so I truly appreciate your equipment and have for many years.
Best regards.
Jul 14, 2018, 10:15 AM
Hi Mr. Drew,
Would you help with the following, The XPS and Rx are not seen by the XDP.exe

Equipment Used:
XPS Serial Link
Brand new Rx Nano –T, never used, not binded to a Tx.
My PC: Win 10 X64, Intel Core 1.6 Ghz, Mem 8GB.
XPS Twisted wires.
4.8V NiHi Bat

First the following were done:

Made sure power is not connected to the receiver.
Now, insert a binding plug into the channel port marked “B” and then connect power to the receiver (on any servo port). After the LED starts rapidly flashing red, immediately remove the binding plug.
The LED will then turn solid red.
The system in now ready for use with the XDP.
That all works.

Second the following was done:

Kept the battery connected to the RX
Interconnected Serial link to Rx binding port. Signal wire the +ve is the one closest to the numbers. All polarities are good.
The XPS main red light and a small red light are lit.
Connecting the XPS to the PC| Computer Bongs
The XPS small red light lits brighter
The Rx red light is still on solid
Opening the XDP Device Programmer v3.9|update it
View/Change Settings is greyed off
Clicking on the “Search for device” gives:
New windows: USB Error: USB hardware not found. Reset hardware and restart this program.
Reset the receiver|connect to the XPS|connect to PC|Bong|Open XDP.exe|
Rx Light is solid red
Opening the iFS Device Programmer v3.9, updated
View/Change Settings is greyed off
Clicking on Search for Device= Click on “search for Device” = No xtreme decice detected|Rx red light turns off|

Notes
The XDP.exe was installed after disabling the antivirus system, and was installed in the administrative mode.
The msstdfmt.dll file has been installed in Programmes Files (x86)\XPS
Connecting the XPS to another Rx channel does not changes anything, same message.
I have another computer with win 7 Pro, Should I use that one?

What should you suggest I do?
Thank you.
Jul 14, 2018, 12:20 PM
First of all, you don't use a battery with the Rx you intend to use with the Serial Link. You will power the Rx through the Serial Link, which MUST be plugged into port 6.

See this thread for a step-by-step procedure on how to use a Nano w/Serial Link to emulate the XDP:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mulate-the-XDP
Jul 18, 2018, 10:03 AM
Thank you Mr. Drew,
I did the steps in the procedure.
Everything happens as you say. The PC Bongs when I connect the XPS. The light of the Nano Rx is solid red after I followed the procedure. So is hte light of the XPS.
But the iFS Device Programmer v3.9 that I updated under the HELP, still does not see the XPS.
When I click on Search for Device, it gives the message No Xtremelink device detected.
It is as if the driver for the XPS is not installed.
Can you help further. Thank you for your quick response. Sorry for my delay.
Jul 18, 2018, 11:29 AM
You have to put the device you want to connect to into "computer programming mode". This is not the same as binding mode.
Jul 18, 2018, 03:41 PM
Thank you Mr. Drew, the XPD instructions mentions:
To use the XDP.exe program, you must first put your XtremeLink® receiver or X10+ into a special programming mode. To do this, press and hold the programming button while applying power to your receiver or X10+. There will be a brief pause and then the LED will light up orange (or yellow in the case of the X10+). Release the programming button and you are ready to use the XDP.exe program.
But the Nano Rx does not have a programming button that I can see.
I have de-installed the xdp.exe, and will re-install it, in the administrative mode and with the anti-virus Defender in win 10 disable. Also, I will not move hte program to the desktop as I did before.
In any event, should I always use the procedure outline here when I want to use the XPS: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mulate-the-XDP .
What should I do?
Thank you for your patience. You may call me at xxxxxxxxxx if that is desirable.
Last edited by JimDrew; Jul 18, 2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: removed phone number
Jul 18, 2018, 04:33 PM
Well, I did all the re-installations Mr. Drew, and I have the same issue, with the anti-virus turned off!
Anything you can suggest woud be much appreciated. My best regards, Gilles
Jul 18, 2018, 08:18 PM
There are two separate processes that you need to do. One is to setup the Serial Link w/Nano to emulate our XDP hardware. The other step is to put whatever device(s) you want to be able to program into computer programming mode. Once you have the Serial Link w/Nano setup to emulate the XDP you can program (or update) as many different receivers (or transmitter modules) as you like - as long as the Serial Link w/Nano is setup to emulate the XDP.

So, setup the Serial Link w/Nano to act as the XDP hardware.

Now, you need to put whatever device you want to connect with the XDP software into computer programming mode. As stated in the 6 channel Nano manual, this is done by putting the binding plug on the bind port, connecting power to the receiver, and then immediately removing the binding plug. At that point the Nano's LED will be solid red. You can then run the XDP software and click on the FIND DEVICE button. It will show the Nano information and you can then program it. You could also run the updater program instead of the XDP software to update the Nano's firmware.

You can think of the binding plug like it was a switch: binding plug on = switch pressed down, and binding plug off = switch released.
Last edited by JimDrew; Jul 18, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
Jul 18, 2018, 10:21 PM
Jim, I feel like I have a thick head here:-). I saw in your manual how to set the nano in a programming node, that I did. same result. It cannot be seen by the program.
So from what you mentions:
1st step, set up to emulate, using your procedure, binding.
At that point, there is the Nano with the binding plug on, red light and connected to the XPS and PC. The Serial Link w/Nano to act as the XDP hardware, right?
2nd Step
Now, how do I connect the device i want to program. ...I don't know what to do here, what are the steps that must be done?
Jul 19, 2018, 09:14 AM

Serial link xdp

It sounds like you need a video here Jim.

The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" would seem to be the ticket here.

This might benefit quite a few people who don't understand the process.

Regards,

Dennis
Jul 19, 2018, 11:54 AM
I guess maybe a video is in order. Nobody has had this issue before.

It's a really simple setup. You setup a Serial Link with a Nano to emulate our XDP. At that point you can put any OTHER 6 channel Nanon receiver, 8/10 channel receiver, or transmitter module into computer programming mode and program that device using the XDP software.

*IF* you can run the XDP software with the Serial Link and Nano connected together (properly, with cable between Serial Link and Nano plugged into port 6 and the binding plug left on) then you should have no problems connecting to any device that is in programming mode.

The *only* thing that could prevent this from working is if you had really old V1 Nano firmware where it didn't support the XDP hardware emulation.
Jul 19, 2018, 05:22 PM
Dear Jim, I finally got it as follows :-). Please let me know if there are to be any corrections.

I use 2 new Nano Micro Rx and the XSP all received a few weeks ago.
Two Nanos are used, one for the emulation called here Nano-XDP,
and one that we want to program, called Nano-PGM.

First step:
Setting up the XDP emulation system, using the Nano-XDP

1. Connect the Serial Link to your USB port,
2. Connect one end of a JR female-female cable to the Serial Link, noting the proper polarity. The Serial Link will turn SOLID RED.
2. Place the jumper on the binding port of the Nano-XDP.
3. Plug the other end of the JR female-female into output port 6 on the Nano-XDP, noting the proper polarity. The LED will rapidly flash.
4. After a second or so of the LED rapidly flashing, remove the jumper that is on the binding port. The LED on the Nano-XDP will now be SOLID RED.
5. Place the jumper back on the binding port of the Nano-XDP (and leave it on). The LED will rapidly flash 10 times and then turn solid RED.
At this point, both the Seral Link and the Nano-XDP lights are SOLID RED. We have emulation and ready for the Second Step.

Second Step
Take the second Nano, this one to be programmed, we call it Nano-PGM
1. Place the jumper on the binding port of the Nano-PGM.
2. Connect one end of a JR female-female cable to the port 6 on the Nano-PGM.
3. Plug the other end of the JR female-female into output port 1 (???) of the Nano-XDP, noting the proper polarity. The LED of the Nano-PGM will rapidly flash.
4. After a second or so of the LED of the Nano-PGM is rapidly flashing, remove the jumper that is on the binding port. The LED on the Nano-PGM is now SOLID RED.

At this point, all the Nano-XDP, Nano-PGM and Serial Link lights are SOLID RED, and connected to the USB of the computer through the Serial Link. We are ready for the next step, working with the computer.

Third Step, working with the computer
1. Click on the XDP icon of the computer desktop. It should open.
2. Click on the SEARCH FOR DEVICE. You should get on the icon, a list of the characteristics of the device being programmed.
3. Click on View/Change icon. [I got Xtremelink 6 channels receiver-Firmware 1.0]. It has Channel mapping, Failsafe control, etc…

The parameters can be changed here as required.

Note: the XDP program name is iFS DeviceProgrammer v3.9. It can be updated via the Help window.
END

Quick Reply