May 11, 2019, 10:47 PM
Fox 1
The war will be over by Christmas, lead by the noble leaders.
Oh crap machine guns. Ok, we'll can try a few cavalry charges, but I have other appointments.
Oh crap trenches.
Oh crap massed artillery
Oh crap mass attrition until starvation

The Canadian second division captured more ground than any other army. So what can a country do with only one division? The bidding of the elite.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2019, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=RocketRobin;41840759....

The Canadian second division captured more ground than any other army. So what can a country do with only one division? The bidding of the elite.[/QUOTE]

1. The Canadians provided five divisions to the allied cause in the Great War but the Fifth Division was broken up in February 1918 to provide re-inforcements for the other four.

2. About 25% of the Canadian Army from 1914 to 1918 consisted of men who were born in England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

3. These included Bombardier David John Davies who was my grandfather's cousin and who was killed on 3rd November 1916 towards the end of the Battle of the Somme. He was born in Wales, grew up in Aberystwyth and joined the Canadian Army in Decemmber 1914.
May 26, 2019, 06:06 PM
Check your six
I have made a lifetime hobby of researching the air war in WWI. I have just about every book written or printed about the Red Baron. I find the air war fascinating especially the evolution of aircraft from the 1900s to the end of the war. My grandfather served as an ambulance driver during the first world war. Imagine what he saw! My favorite aircraft is the DRI followed by the Albatros DVa. I favor the German side (my last name is German). Keep em flying boys. In a small way we salute the aviators and keep them alive. PS a great source for info is the League of WWI Historians on the web.
Last edited by martys; May 26, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
May 26, 2019, 06:28 PM
The pin-vice has run off again
Likewise have a relative who was a cavalry doctor in ww1 - think his ambulance had 4 legged propulsion.

Quick Reply