Thread Tools
May 18, 2018, 02:12 PM
Alex
Datos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeski21
Great work guys!
How does it power on/off, is it 1 push or a push and hold type thing? I could see it being a problem in a panic situation if 1 push will turn it off
Similar to X10, X12S, QX7 radios running on latest OpenTX FW - press and hold to switch ON and the same action to switch OFF. No accidental power off. RSSI warning when powering OFF is also a part of current FW.
Last edited by Datos; May 18, 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2018, 03:19 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
Looking down at the radio during final approach to trim throttle down lower than planned feels neither very smart nor very safe.
I've never seen someone look down at the radio to trim... everything falls under your thumbs.

Your post suggests you're using IC engines - fair enough, but just understand it's not exactly the target market of this radio, and a minority nowadays overall. I haven't used a throttle trim for throttle in a decade - reused them for other stuff like camera angle of course.
If it's that bad for you then maybe that radio isn't for you. It's great for most others though.

Note that obviously you can map anything to anything. You can very well trim your elevator properly first, then swap throttle and elevator trims so that you use shift for rare minute elev trim adjustment and have the straight trim for throttle.

Or you can do something more clever and put your idle adjust on a pot, that kind of thing and many more... when you think outside the box a bit you start seeing that "how everybody does it" or "how you've always done it" isn't necessarily the best.
I still see jet pilots use a digital trim for engine idle/cutoff because 15 years ago in the days of analog trims that was the recommended way as it was indeed good and easy, but nowadays with digital trims and very flexible programming of switches it makes no sense at all anymore.
May 18, 2018, 04:41 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
KC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
are you using a couple magnets to hold the charge leads onto the 18500 terminals? if so i'm going to use that trick.
Yeah, I’m using magnets there.

I only had two magnets on hand, so I had to charge each cell separately, but with more magnets, it’s really simple to connect multiple cells together in parallel and gang charge them all together. Just multiply the charge rate by the number of cells in parallel.

I believe the recommended charge rate for these cells is 0.7 x Capacity (2000mAh) = ~1.4 A.

So 1.4A x (Number of Cells in parallel) = Total Charge rate.
And charge them as 1S.

Personally, I keep the charge rate at 1A or less per cell, unless in a hurry. I tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to charging batteries.

Last edited by KC; May 18, 2018 at 04:48 PM.
May 18, 2018, 05:19 PM
Registered User
seng30904's Avatar
One more question concerning the external antenna, than I promise to stop asking dumb questions. Does the external antenna mounting system seem robust enough to withstand the vigor's of repeated connecting and disconnecting of the antenna itself, and still maintain a tight, slop free connection? It appears that you cannot leave the external antenna attached, and store the radio (with the external antenna attached) in its case. This would mean that I would likely be repeatedly be attaching the antenna before flight, and removing it when finished. Is short, will it hold up? Thanks..



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
See the results of my range testing. Internal antenna is most likely fine for typical LOS flying. External provides the same range as my Q X7, X12S and X10S.

Mike
May 18, 2018, 05:27 PM
Registered User
seng30904's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
I've never seen someone look down at the radio to trim... everything falls under your thumbs.

Your post suggests you're using IC engines - fair enough, but just understand it's not exactly the target market of this radio, and a minority nowadays overall. I haven't used a throttle trim for throttle in a decade - reused them for other stuff like camera angle of course.
If it's that bad for you then maybe that radio isn't for you. It's great for most others though.

Note that obviously you can map anything to anything. You can very well trim your elevator properly first, then swap throttle and elevator trims so that you use shift for rare minute elev trim adjustment and have the straight trim for throttle.

Or you can do something more clever and put your idle adjust on a pot, that kind of thing and many more... when you think outside the box a bit you start seeing that "how everybody does it" or "how you've always done it" isn't necessarily the best.
I still see jet pilots use a digital trim for engine idle/cutoff because 15 years ago in the days of analog trims that was the recommended way as it was indeed good and easy, but nowadays with digital trims and very flexible programming of switches it makes no sense at all anymore.
Double post. sorry
May 18, 2018, 05:34 PM
Registered User
RCAddiction's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
I've never seen someone look down at the radio to trim... everything falls under your thumbs.

Your post suggests you're using IC engines - fair enough, but just understand it's not exactly the target market of this radio, and a minority nowadays overall. I haven't used a throttle trim for throttle in a decade - reused them for other stuff like camera angle of course.
If it's that bad for you then maybe that radio isn't for you. It's great for most others though.
Your first point is my same point - nobody looks down at the radio to trim. But if one needs to hit a button PLUS a 4-way rocker that to trim, it's going to be distracting and the tendency will be to look down...not good. Eventually, one will get used to it, I suppose.

Yes,I do fly wet planes, electric planes, and quads. From tiny indoor to giant scale. I am always intrigued by what's new and innovative. This is a neat radio for sure.

No, I don't think this radio makes much sense for wet planes. It seems squarely aimed at the generation that grew up gaming with their thumbs, and for them, this radio makes perfect sense, particularly for quads or small foamies. I can see it being fun for that. That said, I have plenty of options that suit my needs with my OG Taranis, Horus X10S, SD-10G, or DX18G2.
May 18, 2018, 05:50 PM
Registered User
I never touch the trims on my miniquads. Only thing I would consider this radio for is my quads anyway. I'm perfectly happy flying my JR radio for airplanes.
May 18, 2018, 05:57 PM
Registered User
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
One more question concerning the external antenna, than I promise to stop asking dumb questions. Does the external antenna mounting system seem robust enough to withstand the vigor's of repeated connecting and disconnecting of the antenna itself, and still maintain a tight, slop free connection? It appears that you cannot leave the external antenna attached, and store the radio (with the external antenna attached) in its case. This would mean that I would likely be repeatedly be attaching the antenna before flight, and removing it when finished. Is short, will it hold up? Thanks..
I wondered about that too when I first saw how the external antenna mount was attached to the edge of the RF board. However it does feel pretty stout.

There is a problem though that we have reported to FrSky. Like on the X10S/X10 the external antenna mount is countersunk below the top of the case so it difficult to grip the antenna base to tighten it. Plus the X10S antenna tool will not fit down in the recess so they may need a X-Lite tool.

Mike
May 18, 2018, 06:01 PM
Registered User
RCAddiction's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
I wondered about that too when I first saw how the external antenna mount was attached to the edge of the RF board. However it does feel pretty stout.

There is a problem though that we have reported to FrSky. Like on the X10S/X10 the external antenna mount is countersunk below the top of the case so it difficult to grip the antenna base to tighten it. Plus the X10S antenna tool will not fit down in the recess so they may need a X-Lite tool.

Mike
Mike, there's an X10S antenna tool?
May 18, 2018, 06:05 PM
Registered User
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
Mike, there's an X10S antenna tool?
There was with mine. It is a small plastic wrench like part with internal grooves that slides down around the base of the antenna to grip it.

Mike
May 18, 2018, 06:17 PM
Registered User
RCAddiction's Avatar
I just checked the box and soft case. Mine didn't come with that tool. Just a little yellow cap for the SMA connector. On mine, about 2/3 of the threaded coupler sticks out above the plastic housing so I'm able to grab the antenna base to remove it easily if I wanted to.
May 18, 2018, 06:17 PM
Registered User
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Thread OP
I opened two OpenTX 2..2.2 issues early this morning. The first, the center beep for slider 2 not being able to be set. That issue is in the commit log so it should get fix on the next build. The second was with the system not auto detecting the gimbal types when using exit from the bootloader mode. Looks like they are working on a fix for that as well and have some new code.

Pretty dang impressive to open a firmware issue and have the developers working the problems ASAP within hours.

Mike
May 18, 2018, 06:26 PM
Registered User
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
I just checked the box and soft case. Mine didn't come with that tool. Just a little yellow cap for the SMA connector. On mine, about 2/3 of the threaded coupler sticks out above the plastic housing so I'm able to grab the antenna base to remove it easily if I wanted to.
Interesting. I have the tool, but stopped using the external antenna after my first test flights.

Mike
May 18, 2018, 06:27 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
KC's Avatar
Are the gimbals ADC or PWM?

And does the SWR/RAS work on the X-Lite? (Hardware and OpenTx wise).
May 18, 2018, 06:28 PM
Look under there
The.Amazing.Rob's Avatar
I didn't see any mention of price, wonder what they plan. Also, 18500 instead of 18650s we all have a ton of? Bah.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Frsky X-Lite and other Taranis (X9 Lite, X-Lite S, X-Lite Pro) Frimen Radios 4715 Today 12:56 AM
Discussion FrSky Taranis, Taranis Plus, Taranis E - OpenTX 2.1.X Jet_Flyer Radios 7293 Oct 03, 2019 02:24 PM
Discussion FRSky R9M Lite - Long range mini module for Taranis X-Lite sevet Radios 40 Jun 26, 2019 02:21 AM
New Product FrSky New Arrival - Taranis X-Lite Compact Transmitter Release! AndreaHuang FrSky 12 Sep 19, 2018 09:30 PM