May 18, 2018, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
And some details about the "external antenna". Is it simply an easy pop-on/pop odd affair? What exactly is the purpose of the long range antenna? Is it mainly for fixed wing craft, or should it be used always? Thanks
See the results of my range testing. Internal antenna is most likely fine for typical LOS flying. External provides the same range as my Q X7, X12S and X10S.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2018, 09:50 AM
How does one trim the gimbals? I don't see any obvious trim switches. Of course, I have been known to be a bit blind before.....
May 18, 2018, 09:51 AM
Micro all the flying things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
That is the joystick used for menu navigation along with the 2 buttons next to it.
Thank you, Kilrah! Didn't realize the longer "button" is actually a joystick. That would make it less suitable for simple button duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
See the results of my range testing. Internal antenna is most likely fine for typical LOS flying. External provides the same range as my Q X7, X12S and X10S.
That's great to hear, Mike! I guess there is going to be a rush on the external antenna when it becomes available for purchase as an optional accessory.

I fly mostly LOS at short range. So I suspect that I will be quite content with with both performance and convenience of the internal antenna. Nonetheless, it's fantastic to have the option of "big TX" range with a simple external antenna!
May 18, 2018, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
How does one trim the gimbals? I don't see any obvious trim switches. Of course, I have been known to be a bit blind before.....
The big four way X button. It trims aileron and elevator and then with the shift key held down it does throttle and rudder.

I've been playing with a mix to use #1 slider for a throttle trim that trims only the low side of the channel for my glow powered aircraft. I prefer to be able to trim throttle without removing my finger from aileron and elevator control.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; May 18, 2018 at 10:02 AM.
May 18, 2018, 09:55 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Trim is the cross.
May 18, 2018, 11:44 AM
Great to finally see inside this radio! How do you open it up? I'm afraid those little clips might break if I'm not careful.
May 18, 2018, 12:12 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Quote:
Trim is the cross.
Thats also known as the "D-pad" to us gamers haha
May 18, 2018, 12:35 PM
I was initially thinking that trim was likely the 4-way rocker plus another button, but was hoping I was wrong and that I missed something more clever.

It feels like it will be distracting/clumsy to trim rudder or throttle out of the box.
May 18, 2018, 12:45 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
It feels like it will be distracting/clumsy to trim rudder or throttle out of the box.
Think about how often you actually need to do that or how critical it is to flying next to the other 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
Thats also known as the "D-pad" to us gamers haha
Yup, but unfortunately when you say that here half the people don't understand what it is.
May 18, 2018, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Think about how often you actually need to do that or how critical it is to flying next to the other 2.
Often enough that it's a non-starter for me. Yes, even rudder. Looking down at the radio during final approach to trim throttle down lower than planned feels neither very smart nor very safe.

It's one reason why I don't like the trim placement on certain European radios. I don't want to take my fingers off the sticks and don't feel that it is safe to look down at the radio at critical times while flying.

I am certain it's just me who has this non-concern.
May 18, 2018, 01:38 PM
Great work guys!
How does it power on/off, is it 1 push or a push and hold type thing? I could see it being a problem in a panic situation if 1 push will turn it off
May 18, 2018, 02:00 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fowl
Can we get a picture of you holding the radio in your hands (both pinching, thumbing, and hybrid)? I'm interested to see how the switches fall under your fingers ..as a hybrid pincher, my biggest worry is how I'll use the sliders and the 3-pos switches for DLG and such.
Here they are...

Sorry for dirty hands - just finished cleaning chain on my bike.
Last edited by Datos; May 18, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
May 18, 2018, 02:03 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
Thank you MIke and Alex for your photos and observations.
Wondering where the internal antenna is positioned.
Alex, what is the process for opening up and reassembling the case? Does it seem like it will survive multiple opening/reassembly?
Internal antenna is hardly seen. I also didn't notice it until FrSKY told me where it's located... See the pics

Opening of the case cannot be discussed right now because evaluation units have slamps instead of screws. This is a subject to change and should be more convenient to do in mass production units.
May 18, 2018, 02:07 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer

Mike
It might happen so that internal antenna is more capable than that. I've tested (not recorded) internal antenna around my house made of concrete and discovered that its weaker but not much than X10 internal antennas. At least both show 49-55 RSSI at the weakest reception place. I would provide some more tests tomorrow.
May 18, 2018, 02:09 PM
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleX
Great to finally see inside this radio! How do you open it up? I'm afraid those little clips might break if I'm not careful.
Clips and the opening method are a subject to change. Evaluation units have clamps (easy to open) but final units would probably have positive changes in this aspect.

Quick Reply