Jun 06, 2018, 10:08 AM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Wayne at Alofthobbies is an honorable guy and I trust his words and actions more than most. Itís obvious to me that FrSky is proactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Snip...

As a side note, we could have had radios a little sooner, but FrSky was smart and wanted to take a little more time with our radios to make sure they were giving us the best they could. We were happy to wait while they invested this extra time into the production of your radios. We rather send our customers the best possible product.

Due to some concerns FrSky had they shortened the first production run as they wanted to make some small changes to the radio shells. I understand this is mostly to speed up production, knowing them they will address some concerns from the public also.

As a result of the shortened run FrSky did short us a few radios, we stopped our pre-sale as soon as we heard this news. We are shy a few black radios as a result. We have a few extra red radios that we will offer to our preorder customers that are affected by the shortage. FrSky should be filling the second production batch very soon. We do not expect a long down time between batches.

Hope this clears things up a bit. FrSky is working very hard to get you the best radio possible. They have done it many times now.

-Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2018, 10:14 AM
Let's FPV in Middle TN!
What are some tricks to making the most of the few switches there are on this radio? I'm thinking using the sliders for volume like I have on my taranis, but then make full 100% also be beeper on the quad or something like that.

Arm
Flip over after crash
Beeper
Betaflight OSD off/on
radio volume
voltage readout
flight timer on
flight timer reset
music file to play practice 2 minute racetimer start and countdown

acro/self-level for tiny whoops
camera record for runcam split

I'm guessing some of the non-essential items that I don't need quick access to I'll just have to put in a range on the slider or something.
Jun 06, 2018, 10:20 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
The current X-Lite Hall Effect sensors used are digital.

Mike
Digital can be SPI, I2C, CAN, PWM and others. The first three output integers, the last one does not. What is the p/n?
Jun 06, 2018, 10:25 AM
Meerkats: cuter than mere cats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
The current X-Lite Hall Effect sensors used are digital.
When I read the post from "--Oz--" I referred to a block diagram I had posted over a year ago and thought "Oops, he's right!"

But if the new ones are digital then I guess I lucked out on that claim!

It wouldn't have affected my explanation anyway, since my point was that OpenTX starts with raw values obtained from the gimbals and adjusts them according to results obtained from the calibration procedure.
Latest blog entry: OpenTX Glider Simulator V2.0
Jun 06, 2018, 10:41 AM
I kill batteries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moteasa View Post
What are some tricks to making the most of the few switches there are on this radio? I'm thinking using the sliders for volume like I have on my taranis, but then make full 100% also be beeper on the quad or something like that.

Arm
Flip over after crash
Beeper
Betaflight OSD off/on
radio volume
voltage readout
flight timer on
flight timer reset

I'm guessing some of the non-essential items that I don't need quick access to I'll just have to put in a range on the slider or something.
If you had a momentary switch like the one on the qx7 or x9d you could put at least three of those functions on the momentary switch with logics.

Voltage callout, beeper, timer reset (from your list) are all currently on my momentary switch on my qx7. My momentary switch currently serves at least 6 different functions.

You could mimick it with a 2 position switch (I tested moving my moment functions to a regular 2pos switch) but you have to manually return the switch to the originating position.
Jun 06, 2018, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafc76 View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading...
FrSky has been made aware of the issue and I am sure it will be resolved along with a few other small changes that they identified.
Jun 06, 2018, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moteasa View Post

Arm
Flip over after crash
Beeper
Betaflight OSD off/on
radio volume
voltage readout
flight timer on
flight timer reset

This would be why to not get the X-Lite. However, you can stream line some things. You could put the voltage readout on a timer instead. You can put beeper and flip after crash together. You could setup an automatic timer reset.
Jun 06, 2018, 10:53 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
FrSky has been made aware of the issue and I am sure it will be resolved along with a few other small changes that they identified.
Thank you, Wayne! That's good to hear!

Based on prior experience, do you have a sense for whether FrSky may offer a "fix" for those with off-center gimbals? Or maybe it's something you could offer as a FrSky repair center. I think I'd be more likely to pay for a professional fix than attempt it myself.

Maybe you could offer an optional momentary switch upgrade at the same time.
Jun 06, 2018, 12:21 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
When I read the post from "--Oz--" I referred to a block diagram I had posted over a year ago and thought "Oops, he's right!"

But if the new ones are digital then I guess I lucked out on that claim!

It wouldn't have affected my explanation anyway, since my point was that OpenTX starts with raw values obtained from the gimbals and adjusts them according to results obtained from the calibration procedure.
It depends on the sensor used, thats why i asked for the p/n many times in the past.

This random sensor I found (MLX90293) has three outputs, Analog, PWM, SENT.
Jun 06, 2018, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm View Post
Thank you, Wayne! That's good to hear!

Based on prior experience, do you have a sense for whether FrSky may offer a "fix" for those with off-center gimbals? Or maybe it's something you could offer as a FrSky repair center. I think I'd be more likely to pay for a professional fix than attempt it myself.

Maybe you could offer an optional momentary switch upgrade at the same time.
Good questions, I'll find out. I think it should be pretty easy stuff to sort out. Yes for sure on the switch.
Jun 06, 2018, 01:33 PM
I haven't read through most of the gibberish, but the gimbals are not only somewhat off center (which is OK for me), but the travel/limits do not appear orthogonal.

I think the current calibration can't deal with this, and it manifests in the weird throws (or lack thereof). The calibration will get the max extents, but if the square is more like a non-square rhombus, then you don't get the throws you expect at all points. Overall I don't mind that much EXCEPT for zero throttle. I expect that point to be absolutely correct.

Also the spring tensioning thing doesn't release the tension all the way, and worse it leaves residual tension at the bottom instead of the top. If this thing has to have bounceback, it should have it at the top instead of the bottom, for obvious reasons. I.e. maybe the gimbals should at least be rotated 180 if they're not going to otherwise fix it.
Jun 06, 2018, 01:58 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
It needs to be broken in.

If it bothers you now, get in there and remove the spring. While you are there, add a bit of grease under polish the throttle tensioner. This is easy to do.
Remove the batteries. Using a small screwdriver, insert it between the case halves right next to the battery holder tube and give it a slight twist. The shell halves will separate quite easily. There are 6 tabs. 2 on the outside edge of each handle and one on the inner edge.

I’ve noticed my throttle has gotten better and better as I use it.
It’s silky smooth now.
Last edited by KC; Jun 20, 2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grease not recommended.
Jun 06, 2018, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
I haven't read through most of the gibberish, but the gimbals are not only somewhat off center (which is OK for me), but the travel/limits do not appear orthogonal.

I think the current calibration can't deal with this, and it manifests in the weird throws (or lack thereof). The calibration will get the max extents, but if the square is more like a non-square rhombus, then you don't get the throws you expect at all points. Overall I don't mind that much EXCEPT for zero throttle. I expect that point to be absolutely correct.

Also the spring tensioning thing doesn't release the tension all the way, and worse it leaves residual tension at the bottom instead of the top. If this thing has to have bounceback, it should have it at the top instead of the bottom, for obvious reasons. I.e. maybe the gimbals should at least be rotated 180 if they're not going to otherwise fix it.
Mine (mode 2) throttle is fine from min upto 90, then it has a bit of resistance, if I push it upto 100 it springs back to 91, it sits at -100 nicely
Jun 06, 2018, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
It needs to be broken in.
It needs to be correct by design.

And if it can't be correct by design, then it should be wrong in an acceptable way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloweenhamster View Post
Mine (mode 2) throttle is fine from min upto 90, then it has a bit of resistance, if I push it upto 100 it springs back to 91, it sits at -100 nicely
Man that's kind of opposite of mine. Not a good sign of manufacturing consistency.
Jun 06, 2018, 02:50 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloweenhamster View Post
That sounds like the wires are being tugged on, just guessing from experience on other Tx's.

Quick Reply