Jun 03, 2019, 04:11 PM
Voland
It is my understanding that...
It is illegal according to EU regulations to sell new products that are not EU compliant and D8 is not compliant.

and I think there is more interest in D16 than D8, but one of is wrong...and it may be me.
But D16 is 'promised' and D8 isn't so we are hearing from the D8 users here.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2019, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Church
Voland
It is my understanding that...
It is illegal according to EU regulations to sell new products that are not EU compliant and D8 is not compliant.

and I think there is more interest in D16 than D8, but one of is wrong...and it may be me.
But D16 is 'promised' and D8 isn't so we are hearing from the D8 users here.
I'm pretty sure that I have not seen anyone who is running D16 in the "quad world" as it is proved that it's got too much latency. So for me as a quadracer or freestyle pilot D16 has no use. Better than nothing though. - wrong, confused D8 with D16 in 8ch mode.

Also some FCs for tinywhoops have some issues with D16 mode, so you actually have to run D8 or turn off telemetry.

Re regulations, you can buy now radios with D8 protocol now, don't see any issue with that in new radios.
Last edited by voland; Jun 04, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Jun 03, 2019, 05:26 PM
Ersky9x Developer
Using erskyTx, I have significantly reduced the latency in D16 mode, particularly if using the SBUS output of the receiver. I send all 16 channels to the module every 9mS, and synchronise to the heartbeat signal from the module. From memory, it is 12 to 21mS for 8 channels.

The forthcoming XJTLite module should support D8 mode as well as D16 mode.

MIke
Jun 04, 2019, 01:19 AM
Voland, what receivers are you using to get the lower latency ?
Jun 04, 2019, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudge fpv
Voland, what receivers are you using to get the lower latency ?
I'm using r-xsr receivers, but afaik they are have the same latency. The problem is not in receivers, but in radios (internal/external radio module -> OpenTX communication).
Jun 04, 2019, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
Using erskyTx, I have significantly reduced the latency in D16 mode, particularly if using the SBUS output of the receiver. I send all 16 channels to the module every 9mS, and synchronise to the heartbeat signal from the module. From memory, it is 12 to 21mS for 8 channels.

The forthcoming XJTLite module should support D8 mode as well as D16 mode.

MIke
Mike did excellent work. I've been using his ersky9x firmware for about 6 months now. I've done some bench tests (using a logic analyser) and proved that his FW is faster than OpenTX (old ACCST protocol): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...DqY6YDe6nbOjGY

Mike, I've ordered X-Lite Pro, it is on a slow boat, I should be able to do some testing if you want.
Last edited by voland; Jun 04, 2019 at 02:15 AM.
Jun 04, 2019, 02:02 AM
Happy FPV flyer
You are not getting less latency in D8 vs D16 mode if you set D16 to only transmit 8 channels. Most receivers are D16 now and that's what's most commonly used...
Jun 04, 2019, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voland
I'm pretty sure that I have not seen anyone who is running D16 in the "quad world" as it is proved that it's got too much latency. So for me as a quadracer or freestyle pilot D16 has no use. Better than nothing though.
That is interesting. Pretty much every quad pilot I know who has FrSky equipment uses D16.
Some may only use 8 channels to improve latency, but it still is D16.
Jun 04, 2019, 08:37 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
The only guys using D8 anymore for quads are either running ancient gear with high latency (D4R-II's or D8R-XP's with PPM output) or are running Whoops with 3rd party clone RX's.

Everything else is D16. When set to 8ch mode it's no higher latency than D8, and if running FrSky receivers then it's lower latency (as D8 receivers only do high-latency PPM out)
Jun 04, 2019, 08:41 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by voland
I'm using r-xsr receivers, but afaik they are have the same latency. The problem is not in receivers, but in radios (internal/external radio module -> OpenTX communication).
R-XSR's only bind in D16....

What receivers are you using in D8 to get lower latency?

Or are you binding D16 8ch mode (which reduces latency by 9ms)?
Jun 04, 2019, 10:01 AM
With newer betaflight versions whoops can work in D16 mode (FrSky_X). So please stop complaining already, D8 is dead and illegal in many countries.
Jun 04, 2019, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enurian
With newer betaflight versions whoops can work in D16 mode (FrSky_X). So please stop complaining already, D8 is dead and illegal in many countries.
The Whoops with an AIO board like a Crazybee and similar using an integrated receiver by SPI are hanging up if you use D16 so everybody is using D8. Now D16 seems to work fine if you disable telemetry but I'm not sure because about one year ago that I tested it, still without telemetry was hanging up the board

If D8 is illegal and that's the reason to don't implement the protocol to the ACCESS radios... Why is Frsky making an external module with D8 and D16 for the new radios?
Jun 04, 2019, 10:34 AM
FRSKY still sells D8 receivers and RF modules. Selling new gear with D8 is only illegal in EU, not the entire world and there is a market to address.

The main reason it seems to me though that FRSKY is including D8 is because of the constant complaints here and elsewhere when it became clear initially that it was not planned to be supported.
Jun 04, 2019, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafc76
If D8 is illegal and that's the reason to don't implement the protocol to the ACCESS radios... Why is Frsky making an external module with D8 and D16 for the new radios?
There are older FrSky receivers that only support D8 and it is not illegal everywhere, mainly Europe as far as I know. Not sure which countries specifically though.
Last edited by emofes; Jun 04, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Jun 04, 2019, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emofes
There are older FrSky receivers that only support D8 and it is not illegal everywhere, mainly Europe as far as I know. Not sure which countries specifically though.[/QUOTE]

You are right and that's why I want D8

Quick Reply