Dec 08, 2019, 12:08 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
YEP!!! exactly my experience same roll. Maybe I've been launching in safe mode????
It was my fault, If you see my other post I had turned the Flight controller a driffrent way when i had to rip it out to install the GPS in the plane. once i put it back sideways how they had it it flew great yeaterday.

I read the manual more lastnight to and seen that when GPS is on then the "FENCE" mode works all the time no matter if your in Safe, or As3X mode and i guess that is what was going on it was trying to turn it and rock the wings back and forth to let me know if was back in the correct zone.. but it felt like was fighting me cause i didn't realize what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdigrazia1
You should be able to change the VTX setting from the menu on your Transmitter (assuming it's a Spektrum)
Yeah, IX12 and can't seem to make that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
Yeah turning the FC sideways in a plane without re-calibrating is like turning the driver of a car sideways then making them drive. Bad things will happen.

I have no doubts the plane can be made to fly well. For those of us who have serious FPV planes this one just falls way short in its execution as a friendly FPV solution as it was marketed. But at $100 it's cheap enough to play with. Might look at it again next summer.

For now it made a short flight back into the box and onto a shelf in my shop. The AS3X and sat receiver are up for sale. I don't use Spektrum anyway. I will say the packaging and fitment of the parts in the box is the best I've ever seen, though.
Sorry it is less then you expected. for $100 its fun to fly and it will get flown with the rest of my planes, I am not happy how the Camera looks, I need to figure out putting it all way forward so i don't see the round sides. or try a different camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santanig5
I had the same question, the manual states
"Spektrum VTX Control:

Spektrum control signals include a special command system to manage

frequencies and power output on video transmitters. Compatible video

transmitters can be managed from this menu by connecting a signal wire from

the aircraft receiver to the video transmitter. See the video transmitter manual

for more information.

To apply changes to the video transmitter from the VTX menu of a compatible

Spektrum Transmitter with Spektrum AirWare fi rmware:

1. Power on the video transmitter and ensure it is properly connect to the

aircraft receiver.

2. From the Model Adjust menu, select Video Tx.

3. Adjust the Band, Channel frequency, Power level and Mode to the desired

values.Pit mode sets the video transmitter output to very low power for

testing in the pits. Do not attempt to fl y using pit mode. Race mode sets the

video transmitter output to normal power.

4. Select SEND to apply the changes. The video transmitter must be properly

connected and powered on to apply changes."

I have a DX9 with Airware 2.03 and the BNF SAFE+ with FPV and this does not work for me, I would assume the correct connections exist between the VTX and RX.

This did work for me though
OSD Menu

The OSD has a menu system which has options where the pilot can make

changes.

1. To enter the menu the motor must be disarmed.

2. Flip the fl ight mode switch back and forth twice to enter the menu.

3. To navigate the menu use elevator stick to move up and down through

the menu, and aileron stick to move side to side through the menu.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So how did you get OSD on your googles? I am guessing i should see the OSD no matter what im using, I had OSD on my old PSeedix quad with my googles im using never a issue. is there something you do to cut it on and off?

Or do you need to go it the menu first to turn it on? I will try getting into that menu to see.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2019, 12:18 PM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
So how did you get OSD on your googles? I am guessing i should see the OSD no matter what im using, I had OSD on my old PSeedix quad with my googles im using never a issue. is there something you do to cut it on and off?

Or do you need to go it the menu first to turn it on? I will try getting into that menu to see.
What I did was get the plane "ready", I did not set the home position or direction so the motor did not arm.
I then took my goggles and started to scan each band and frequency until I saw picture, once I found the correct band and channel I followed the instructions in the manual and it worked as explained.

Make sense?
Dec 08, 2019, 04:00 PM
Quote:
What I did was get the plane "ready", I did not set the home position or direction so the motor did not arm.
I then took my goggles and started to scan each band and frequency until I saw picture, once I found the correct band and channel I followed the instructions in the manual and it worked as explained.

Make sense?
I did everything you said all my flights yesterday with camera except for the
Quote:
This did work for me though
OSD Menu

The OSD has a menu system which has options where the pilot can make

changes.

1. To enter the menu the motor must be disarmed.

2. Flip the fl ight mode switch back and forth twice to enter the menu.

3. To navigate the menu use elevator stick to move up and down through

the menu, and aileron stick to move side to side through the menu.
I will bring the plane in and try that in a bit if i get a chance.
Dec 08, 2019, 04:21 PM
Greetings,
Just received my used BNF Safe + with FPV.
Everything works on the bench, but I am unable to change my VTX settings from my DX9 with Airware V2.03.
And I don't know what this black wire is for, looks like it's from the back of the F.C.

Dec 08, 2019, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Yeah Took me a bit to figure out where it plugs in at. if you look at the flight controller online it has ZERO intructions doesnt show what port does what.. I like to know what the other port next to the GPS port does.
the top i guess is to hook to the PC and adjust? what no clue

you ordered the BNF and got one with GPS already? Where did you order from. i had to pay $54 to get the GPS
Vtx connects to the other port.
Dec 08, 2019, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Greetings,
Just received my used BNF Safe + with FPV.
Everything works on the bench, but I am unable to change my VTX settings from my DX9 with Airware V2.03.
And I don't know what this black wire is for, looks like it's from the back of the F.C.

Make sure "Throttle cut" is enabled on the DX9 and assigned to a switch.
Once you flip the switch to activate Throttle cut, the VTX menu is active and you can change settings.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmheli
Once you flip the switch to activate Throttle cut, the VTX menu is active and you can change settings.
Why yes, yes it does!
Now all functionality works on the bench, still don't know what that back wire is for, but thanks!
Dec 08, 2019, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostcity
Vtx connects to the other port.
But the plug on the VTX is just a regular Servo plug in and my manual showed it plugging into channel 6 on th Flight controller?
is this why i don't have OSB? is there another wire I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmheli
Quote:
Why yes, yes it does!
Now all functionality works on the bench, still don't know what that back wire is for, but thanks!
Well that is good and I didn't get that black wire with my VTX or GPS. the GPS was connected to itself with the funky plug. the VTX only had the servo looking connector plug and the plug going from the VTX to my camera. no other wires with mine..

did your plane come with that adaptor on the EC3 connector? the one that goes between the power of esc and the battery?
Dec 08, 2019, 09:11 PM
Here is how inside mine looks my vtx is up front where the magnetic hatch was. And I've got a ec3 to deans adapter on my esc I've got to find a mail deans and change out that ec3 I don't use those

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
Dec 09, 2019, 01:10 AM
352nd FG Association

Maiden "Success" and more

Hey folks! The weather and my schedule has been preventing me from doing a full-on post about the maiden. So, I'm planning to shoot a little video tomorrow to tell about it in more detail (there was a lot of good info learned), and show a couple quick and simple mods I did as a result. I will actually be doing two videos, "FPV for the Novice" (part 1), and "The Opterra 1.2m" (part 2). Since both tie in together for what I want to share. A lot easier than typing it all, and folks having to read it, and it will get the info to more than a limited audience (not everyone flying it is on RCG).

The maiden, in a nutshell, went great. But I learned a few things on the first launch. Someone had recommended holding the plane above your head, arm straight, and toss it......... but they said to do it in SAFE mode with the throttle off until it leaves your hand, then hit the throttle. Since the prop is bigger than my old Stryker, that's what I did. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Do NOT do it like that!!!! She rolled to the left and went straight into the ground. Fortunately, the only damage was the nose cone got slightly crumpled. I did not maiden it with the FPV gear installed, and I used the basic cone with the weight in it. It all went back together fine, and tried again. This time I used just the AS3X mode and tossed it like I do with my Stryker Q. You can see it in the video below. Everything went great!!! The weighted nose was an issue for the CG, making it a bit too nose heavy, but still manageable to fly. First flight was with the 3300 3S. I did 5 minutes and she came down with so much juice left, I was able to do another 5 minute flight and still come down with 50% left!!!! And that was with the throttle at 3/4 to full the entire flight (just to help keep the nose up and prevent sinking). So technically two 5 minute flights on one lipo. The second lipo was a 2200 4S. MUCH better!!!! A bit more power (not blazing, but useful), better balanced, and again......... over 10 minutes with 50% left!!!
She flew fantastic!! Very relaxing and easy to fly, smooth and on rails. Rolls and loops were very smooth, and low ground hugging flight was extremely stable. The SAFE mode is only good for training my kids. You need about 6-7 zip codes of room to turn it though. And the Altitude Hold Mode prevented me from doing turning at all??!!! I had figured alt hold would still allow me to keep in a pattern, but she just wanted to go straight at the same alt. Marginally useful.

The only real complaint I have is that the wings liked to pop out on landing. I've done a simple mod for that, which I'll share in the up coming video. I also saw several posts about the ESC and VTX's getting too hot from insufficient cooling. I also did a simple mod for that. For now, I'll just say, "it was worth the $100, and flies magnificently!" Looking forward to many adventures in the near future. Stay tuned!!

My son tried to out do my launch, using his little glider at the end. LOL!!! (Lil man did a good job!!)

Launching the Opterra 1.2m (0 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Moonbeam; Dec 09, 2019 at 01:16 AM.
Dec 09, 2019, 06:19 AM
Quote:
did your plane come with that adaptor on the EC3 connector? the one that goes between the power of esc and the battery?

It did, the former owner said he swapped out the EC3 for the Deans.
Iím in the process of converting my fleet from Deans to EC3, LOL.
Was yours also the BNF Safe + W/ FPV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dec 09, 2019, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera0to60
I took some time this morning to move the electronics around a bit. As you can see in the pictures, I rotated the VTX 180ļ so the antenna is now out of the way and in better position for doing its job.
How is the VTX antenna removed? Mine just spins loosely on the base.
Dec 09, 2019, 07:44 AM
Quote:
It did, the former owner said he swapped out the EC3 for the Deans.
Iím in the process of converting my fleet from Deans to EC3, LOL.
Was yours also the BNF Safe + W/ FPV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no mine was just the BNF basic, I purchased from Horizen the VTX, for it same one it came with and ordered the same GPS for it.

Quote:
How is the VTX antenna removed? Mine just spins loosely on the base.
yeah it seems to just spin and spin i thought it screwed in but it just pushes in and you pull it out to take it off.
Dec 09, 2019, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
Hey folks! The weather and my schedule has been preventing me from doing a full-on post about the maiden. So, I'm planning to shoot a little video tomorrow to tell about it in more detail (there was a lot of good info learned), and show a couple quick and simple mods I did as a result. I will actually be doing two videos, "FPV for the Novice" (part 1), and "The Opterra 1.2m" (part 2). Since both tie in together for what I want to share. A lot easier than typing it all, and folks having to read it, and it will get the info to more than a limited audience (not everyone flying it is on RCG).

The maiden, in a nutshell, went great. But I learned a few things on the first launch. Someone had recommended holding the plane above your head, arm straight, and toss it......... but they said to do it in SAFE mode with the throttle off until it leaves your hand, then hit the throttle. Since the prop is bigger than my old Stryker, that's what I did. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Do NOT do it like that!!!! She rolled to the left and went straight into the ground. Fortunately, the only damage was the nose cone got slightly crumpled. I did not maiden it with the FPV gear installed, and I used the basic cone with the weight in it. It all went back together fine, and tried again. This time I used just the AS3X mode and tossed it like I do with my Stryker Q. You can see it in the video below. Everything went great!!! The weighted nose was an issue for the CG, making it a bit too nose heavy, but still manageable to fly. First flight was with the 3300 3S. I did 5 minutes and she came down with so much juice left, I was able to do another 5 minute flight and still come down with 50% left!!!! And that was with the throttle at 3/4 to full the entire flight (just to help keep the nose up and prevent sinking). So technically two 5 minute flights on one lipo. The second lipo was a 2200 4S. MUCH better!!!! A bit more power (not blazing, but useful), better balanced, and again......... over 10 minutes with 50% left!!!
She flew fantastic!! Very relaxing and easy to fly, smooth and on rails. Rolls and loops were very smooth, and low ground hugging flight was extremely stable. The SAFE mode is only good for training my kids. You need about 6-7 zip codes of room to turn it though. And the Altitude Hold Mode prevented me from doing turning at all??!!! I had figured alt hold would still allow me to keep in a pattern, but she just wanted to go straight at the same alt. Marginally useful.

The only real complaint I have is that the wings liked to pop out on landing. I've done a simple mod for that, which I'll share in the up coming video. I also saw several posts about the ESC and VTX's getting too hot from insufficient cooling. I also did a simple mod for that. For now, I'll just say, "it was worth the $100, and flies magnificently!" Looking forward to many adventures in the near future. Stay tuned!!

My son tried to out do my launch, using his little glider at the end. LOL!!! (Lil man did a good job!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRcKR5B3J9s
that launch.... Sorry i just do not think launching a wing with motor on rear that way is safe. I'm already missing 1/4th my right index finger i dont want to hurt that hand anymore.

but glad its flying , don't know why you had the roll on the first try, looks good that time.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:57 AM
If you follow through with your throw you won't get bit.

Quick Reply