Jul 21, 2019, 02:49 PM
Jesus Freak
just did my maiden with an OpenTX radio everything went fine lol

the launch was nothing like the video though, major roll at toss was able to recover. Second flight same the major roll, used 100% throttle first time. Second flight 75% throttle and still major roll
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2019, 02:11 PM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_wing
***solved***

I started with this .eepe, and did a little modifying of which switch I like where. Done. Link to the EEPE below.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30107476

Can someone help me get set up? Brand new out of the box optera 1.2 s+
Binding to FRsky Taranis using spektrum hacked module.

All chanels as follows

1 th
2 Ail
3Ele
4Rud
5SC (flight mode I beleive)
6SH (autoland, holding patern etc)
All set to 80% weight, nothing reversed (yet)

I got it bound (solid red light on RX) but the esc wont initialize, and the elevons stay up when powered on, until I change flight modes, at whick point the elevons cycle up and down forever.

Im hoping all this means something to someone.

Better yet, anybody have a profile to fly an optera on frsky?
did you get the two loiter modes to work? I don't have a momentary switch, so i assigned to a regular switch and that works to arm it, but I haven't tried the two loiter modes with the switch not the autoland
Jul 27, 2019, 02:38 PM
Have Anyone tried a different propeller than stock on this opterra? Original is out of stock everywhere
Jul 29, 2019, 10:28 AM
SLCPilot still sucks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlytorres
Have Anyone tried a different propeller than stock on this opterra? Original is out of stock everywhere
Same issue here.
Jul 30, 2019, 10:23 AM
Anyone ever mount a regular (not mini) Eagletree Vector in the Opterra 1.2? If so can you let me know how you mounted it?
Jul 30, 2019, 01:50 PM
Flip on Tech
Quote:
I had thought about maybe it might be worth getting with Z.B. at Esprit Tech in Melbourne, FL to see if he can put together an Aeronaut 9.5 x 7 or Graupner complete folding prop spinner assy. It'll surely be more than the original EFlite but one would end up with an aluminum spinner and carbon fiber replaceable prop assy. The Aeronaut blades mount are 8mm while the Opterra's 1.2m is only 5.5mm. Though they might work with the 2m with some filing down.

Good luck.
Aug 04, 2019, 12:41 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!

RSSI using Crossfire

Didn't see it posted here yet.
If you couldn't get RSSI to behave correctly when using Xfire you need to change the Channel Mapping .
Go to Channel Mapping on the Xfire menu and select Channel 8.
Change the output from "Channel 8" to "RSSI".
Done.

I tried LQ but I couldn't get it to change from 99 even when the dbm was -95 on the transmitter telemetry.
Aug 09, 2019, 09:06 AM
Jesus Freak
is there a way to manually change vtx power?
Aug 23, 2019, 06:59 PM
Quote:
same here cant find prop
Aug 26, 2019, 09:13 AM
Prefectionist
yes, there are buttons on the VTX in the plane, but they are inaccessible without moving the VTX because they are under the lip of foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
is there a way to manually change vtx power?
Aug 26, 2019, 02:10 PM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd
yes, there are buttons on the VTX in the plane, but they are inaccessible without moving the VTX because they are under the lip of foam.
thank you!
Aug 26, 2019, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus
Anyone ever mount a regular (not mini) Eagletree Vector in the Opterra 1.2? If so can you let me know how you mounted it?
Hey smooth, I don't have an Eagletre fitted but I do have a Matek f411 was board for inav.

You can fit the vector in the spot i have my Matek or under the crevices on the side (where my Velcro is)

Hope that helps
Aug 27, 2019, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironiic
Hey smooth, I don't have an Eagletre fitted but I do have a Matek f411 was board for inav.

You can fit the vector in the spot i have my Matek or under the crevices on the side (where my Velcro is)

Hope that helps
Thanks we have it all working now.

Epic formation flight (0 min 53 sec)
Sep 02, 2019, 08:34 AM
Could anybody please tell me the reason why Horizon discontinued this plane after such a short time? Seems like a good platform for those of us interested in trying fpv wings.
Sep 02, 2019, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiekanobie
Could anybody please tell me the reason why Horizon discontinued this plane after such a short time? Seems like a good platform for those of us interested in trying fpv wings.
As much as I love flying this plane, it's not really the best bang for your buck model out there. Heck I was actually gonna get the Dart xl instead of this plane but I didn't like the flight fantastic of the Dart so when for this instead.

But issues with this model:

1. Cost - this plane is over priced. Cost me £160 for the pnp and I didn't even use any of the components in the plane anyways. There are plenty of other models (Hd wing, c1 chaser, s1100 harrier, ar wing just to name a few) that offer give similar flight characteristics at a 3rd of the price.

Also it don't come as a kit which is stupid because a lot of people want to put their own stuff and not be forced to use spectrum rx. For fpv.... That's just silly IMO. Most fpv flies are using r9, tbs or uhf.

2. Customisablilty
At first glance the plane doesn't look like it has much space. But after playing with it I realized it has quite a lot of space if you place your electronics in the right places but again compared to a lot of other fpv models out there at this price range.

This plane is a joke.

Dart xl, GT talon or even the bigger models out there have more space to up bigger batteries in it, which in turn gives you longer flight times, you can add gimbals etc. The biggest battery I could fit in the Opterra was a custom 4s 21700 4S1P 5000mah pack. Whereas planes like the Dart xl, s1100 can carry 4S3P 10500mah packs. Planes like the uav Goose, mfd crosswind cam carry more and you still fit all the fpv gear you want. Opterra is a very limiting plane.

Even the motor you choose has to be a specific type. Yes i looked at the hole and the only other motors I could use on it was my Turnigy Sk3 1050kv. I couldn't use my 22xx series motors (I had to mode the mount to fit my Sunnysky 2220 1150kv).

Heck people don't even make 3d parts for this plane. The opterra IMO is not really a good FPV when you compare it to the more popular options out there.

3. Replacements
If your motor burns out, you have to either get eflite brand motor to replace it or get a compatible motor for the mount (Turnigy sk3 3635 series etc).

If the servo fail, you have to get eflite servos which cost more than other digital servos and the dimensions are different making other brands again, incompatible.

No one likes this. NO ONE. I have a HD wing and if my servo or motor burns out, I'm free to buy whatever damn brand replacement which in turn saves me costs and headaches.

4.Marketing
Honestly when it comes to fly models, YouTube channels, forums and social media groups advertise the plane to the public not the company. If it search any of the zohd, Sonicmodell, xuav, reptile for models in YouTube or Google you will get ALOT of results. Just search "Zohd Dart xl" into YT and you will know what i mean.

When I bought this plane and went to get information on it. There were barely any videos about it. Literally no one even knows this plane exists. In the INav fixed wing group on FB I posted my build of this plane and only 1 person knew what it was.

On YouTube, hardly any reviews. Just a bunch of useless unboxing videos and some dvr footage of some flights.

No one knows the planes exists and even if they did, there are just better options out there for same and less amount of money.

Eflite most likely discontinued the plane because it wasn't selling and it sorta makes sense why. The 2m version made money because there aren't a lot of good 2m flying wings and Eflite made a plane in that size range that could compete, but when they made a 1.2m version, well.... they were going into battle with a lot of competition. And it just couldn't compete.

I don't regret purchasing this plane because it was exactly what I was looking for. Did have to make a few mods but I do that to all my planes.

I'll leave a picture of the canopies of my Opterra , HD wing and old s1100 harrier to help you understand. All these planes fly brilliantly btw.

The HD wing and s1100 harrier cost 3x less but provide more space and freedom to do whatever you want. For the price of an Opterra 1.2m wing one it's own I can buy either one of these other wings and have enough change to put a decent fpv rig.

Quick Reply