May 26, 2018, 02:56 PM
This is a combo of ďWhyísĒ. Why such a short flight time (assuming itís accurate). Why LR capable with such a short flight time? Why just Crossfire? Why that CMOS camera? Why GPS if you arenít getting out of range due to flight time? Why non-adjustable fencing limits? Why use Crossfire if you also are swapping the VTX(at that point might as well just get the plain bnf)? Why not a plane designed to do all this without swapping half the components out?

I know the answer to a lot of those is to be more mass appealing, but the bulk of the benefit of GPS on an FPV craft is to get outside of what the mass market is doing an into a niche area.

I like the plain BNF and PNP options, I just donít understand who the Safe+ model is really applied towards. If you arenít going out of range of 5.8 video, the GPS doesnít matter. If you are going out of range of 5.8 video youíll need a new vtx and new receiver, which makes the value of the Safe+ rather limited. Plus people adding that long range are probably also ok with adding a FC to a plane. Iíd also guess most will be disappointed in the camera, though maybe that ends up surprisingly good. If you donít want FPV but do want the geofencing, your paying for a camera and VtX you wonít use. It just seems to fit no use case well.

Iíd really like to give the plain BNF without the FPV gear a shot though it doesnít differentiate itself from the Theory I already own to justify more cash spent. Maybe used down the road one will end up in my hanger.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2018, 04:16 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2
This is a combo of ďWhyísĒ. Why such a short flight time (assuming itís accurate). Why LR capable with such a short flight time? Why just Crossfire? Why that CMOS camera? Why GPS if you arenít getting out of range due to flight time? Why non-adjustable fencing limits? Why use Crossfire if you also are swapping the VTX(at that point might as well just get the plain bnf)? Why not a plane designed to do all this without swapping half the components out?

I know the answer to a lot of those is to be more mass appealing, but the bulk of the benefit of GPS on an FPV craft is to get outside of what the mass market is doing an into a niche area.

I like the plain BNF and PNP options, I just donít understand who the Safe+ model is really applied towards. If you arenít going out of range of 5.8 video, the GPS doesnít matter. If you are going out of range of 5.8 video youíll need a new vtx and new receiver, which makes the value of the Safe+ rather limited. Plus people adding that long range are probably also ok with adding a FC to a plane. Iíd also guess most will be disappointed in the camera, though maybe that ends up surprisingly good. If you donít want FPV but do want the geofencing, your paying for a camera and VtX you wonít use. It just seems to fit no use case well.

Iíd really like to give the plain BNF without the FPV gear a shot though it doesnít differentiate itself from the Theory I already own to justify more cash spent. Maybe used down the road one will end up in my hanger.

Someone already mentioned that....lol
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
May 26, 2018, 07:54 PM
The safe+ version is a great deal and value for someone who is starting out in FPV. Right out of the box it flys with the option of RTH and altitude hold modes. Before you fly 7 miles out you first need to make it to 1 mile, and this setup should do that without modification, given a good receiving antenna. The modes will help tremendously, especially if the new pilot gets confused or lost. And all equipment can be upgraded later as skill and confidence grows. I can tell you from experience, that when I forgot to change my vtx power from 25mw to 800mw when I was 1.5 miles out that altitude hold saved me. I clicked into AH, turned over my transmitter and from my crossfire changed output to 800mw and continued my flight.

And anyone who thinks that the range will be limited by the flight time is mistaken, or has never actually flown long range. The video showed 50 mph in the OSD. At 50 mph in 3 minutes you will be 2.5 miles away, that’s a 5 mile round trip in 6 minutes. Also from experience with a lot of wings(including the big Opterra), that a 47” wingspan plane will go 50 mph on like 8 amps of 4s power. If you keep it to 8 amps after takeoff with a 2200 battery, that’s 13 minutes in the air. 5.4 miles away at 50 mph and back. Give a 4s 3300 battery and you’d likely cruise at 65-70 at 12-15 amps. That puts you at a 7 minute flight covering 8 miles, 4 out and back. This is all simple math. Also looking at the design, it’s sleeker then most EPP wings it’s size, so efficiency will go up extending range, time, and speed

I just pre-ordered the PnP version to use my TBS wing layer and FPVision with crossfire
Last edited by Mikestevens; May 26, 2018 at 08:34 PM.
May 26, 2018, 07:58 PM
Just to show that I actually am experienced in this stuff, here is a 4 mile away mountain dive with my big Opterra. Flight stats are at the end of the video

Opterra Littlefield Cliffs (3 min 26 sec)
Last edited by Mikestevens; May 26, 2018 at 08:21 PM.
May 26, 2018, 09:25 PM
I have done a total of 21 miles in one flight with one of my big wings over and around cell towers ...
The smaller Opterra is really just a line of sight setup ..
Hope this helps .
DanT
May 26, 2018, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
I have done a total of 21 miles in one flight with one of my big wings over and around cell towers ...
The smaller Opterra is really just a line of sight setup ..
Hope this helps .
DanT
I bed to differ there. Here is 15 miles total, 7.2 out max. Done with a 2600 6s on a 900mm Wing. Full telemetry is included. The fact that a 35” wing did this seems to dispute that a 47” wing can not. This was also flown with 800mw 5.8 vtx

Proof of Concept 7.2 miles flown with 5.8 and crossfire (3 min 13 sec)
May 26, 2018, 09:32 PM
I didn’t want to start a pissing match either. I will patiently wait my plane and then I’ll fly it long range and provide everyone with the telemetry
May 26, 2018, 09:35 PM
I'm glad we both know what were talking about..LOL
Like where your flying at ,, nothing to get in the way with Interference it look like to me...
Try it around cell towers and I'm not flying off a Mountain Top .. LOL
Hope this helps .
DanT
May 26, 2018, 09:42 PM
Like I said, not trying to start a pissing match. But that was flown standing inside my back yard. And I plan to do the same with the little Opterra. I see no reason that it will not go farther, and I intend to prove it
May 26, 2018, 09:56 PM
Your last posted video seems to show a 5s battery setup ,, and over 1500 ft.
Elevation ..
I will be waiting to see pictures of the smaller Opterra setup .
Keep having Fun
Hope this helps.
DanT
May 26, 2018, 10:06 PM
On 4s Lipo and 12amp "cruising level flight",
thats pretty bad inefficient aerodynamics for a wing....
Lets keep this thread on the small Opterra 1.2m as the bigger
one will always go further!

P.S.
Who went 5miles out (one way) on a 5.8ghz Goggle MODULE?
what antenna brand did you use?
May 26, 2018, 10:17 PM
DanT it was a 6s

rclab that was a worst case “for instance” for a wing

And I routinely go out that far with 5.8, but that video was 7 miles one way on 5.8. I also use 2.4 video, and crossfire in everything I fly. I have a 6” quad that has gone 4.4 miles out on 5.8. Mostly I use TBS Unify vtx but I have also used cheap vtx. It comes down to your receiving antenna. I have a FuriousFPV True-D diversity module in my fat sharks, with a TBS Triumph and a VAS Pepperbox. I don’t use a ground station for 5.8. But I have a 2.4 ground station that repeats on 5.8, so it’s wireless
May 26, 2018, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestevens
DanT it was a 6s

rclab that was a worst case ďfor instanceĒ for a wing

And I routinely go out that far with 5.8, but that video was 7 miles one way on 5.8. I also use 2.4 video, and crossfire in everything I fly. I have a 6Ē quad that has gone 4.4 miles out on 5.8. Mostly I use TBS Unify vtx but I have also used cheap vtx. It comes down to your receiving antenna. I have a FuriousFPV True-D diversity module in my fat sharks, with a TBS Triumph and a VAS Pepperbox. I donít use a ground station for 5.8. But I have a 2.4 ground station that repeats on 5.8, so itís wireless
Ok. That makes sense.
I can't use 5.8 here (besides being a repeater to my 1.2 GS). If I get betwn a branch or a wet leaf
my 5.8 video gets sacked like a fat kid running
towards 1st base.
May 27, 2018, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
like a fat kid running
towards 1st base.
lmfao, hilarious!
May 27, 2018, 09:19 AM
One thing I dislike about Horizon Hobby is the lack of good info. No prop size. No motor size in traditional stator measurements. One recommended battery is the 4s 3300, which when looked up, no dimensions or weight

Taking measurements from the pictures and scaling them looks like it has a 9” folding prop. Motor is from the Blade Chroma, and looks like it might be a 2814? But the battery I did find on other sites, and looks to be similar size and weight to my Lumenier 4s 4200, and also my turnigy 6s 2650

All this means is that it seems possible to run my Cobra 2221 1250kv motor on 6s with a 7” non-folding prop and get some good distance at a decent speed. I can’t wait to get this thing!!! I’ll post I’ll sorts of specs that FPV wing guys use!

Quick Reply