May 24, 2018, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
. And it is not sufficient to sell products that are switchable. If they are capable of transmitting over 25mw they aren't legal for sale there.
I didn't know about that. Anyway this is quite sad, as many other corporations do sell switchable transmitters. To my knowledge, Horizon is the only hobby company which seems to take those legislations into account.

Thing is, most people will buy your wing and swap their EU VTX for an US version that you can find on ebay anyway. Sorry if I seemed angry, I wouldn't be this disappointed if I hadn't such a great interest in your products.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2018, 10:38 AM
Becoming grumpy old man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaf
I didn't know about that. Anyway this is quite sad, as many other corporations do sell switchable transmitters. To my knowledge, Horizon is the only hobby company which seems to take those legislations into account.

Thing is, most people will buy your wing and swap their EU VTX for an US version that you can find on ebay anyway. Sorry if I seemed angry, I wouldn't be this disappointed if I hadn't such a great interest in your products.
That's okay, I know you are just excited about the product, I didn't think you were angry There are all kinds of FPV products sold around the world that are illegal in various locations. In the US we aren't supposed to use more than 1watt under HAM rules for 5.8GHz, but you see vtx with more power than that listed all over. You may notice that video transmitters with full E band channels are disappearing from established vendors in the US, which is a direct result of FCC actions (E band has several illegal channels for North American operation).

Just because some folks get away with selling illegal FPV products doesn't mean you'll see Horizon doing that.

The situation is kind of like the HAM license rule here in the US. I tell folks you are required to have a HAM to transmit FPV signals, and many roll their eyes at me. The chances of being caught and turned in by a HAM club is next to nill, but those are the rules! I never thought it would happen, but I actually was approached by a HAM club on their field day when I was flying FPV last summer, and they asked if I had my HAM. If I didn't have my HAM I got the impression the nice chat would have gone in a different direction ending with a call to the FCC.

Most of the time folks get away with flying FPV in the US without the HAM ticket, and likewise I bet a lot of flyers in Europe get away with more than they are allowed to use. Having flyers out there who have made it the norm to do as they see fit does not change the legal status for a big company like Horizon trying to sell compliant products
May 24, 2018, 12:34 PM
I totally agree with you, but still I think there is room for improvement regarding that matter.

A couple years ago, Conrad, which also is a big company that makes compliant products here in Europe, sold a VTX with a small jumper on it. Provided the jumper is part of the design of the VTX and that nobody tells you in the manual that you may take it off, it was a clever answer to face these regulations. Removing the jumper would change the power output from 25 to 200mw.

Now the responsiblity totally lies on the user's shoulders not to "mod" the VTX. But if he decides otherwise (hey, perhaps I'm a globe traveller ?) he can do it very easily and at no extra-cost.

Just saying
Last edited by Splaf; May 24, 2018 at 01:53 PM.
May 24, 2018, 02:33 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
So this planes flies 5-10min on average?
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
May 24, 2018, 03:13 PM
Becoming grumpy old man
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
So this planes flies 5-10min on average?
That is probably fair to say. I did get a chance to fly one for a minute, and it flies well, but I haven't had my hands on one beyond that. As far as extended flight times like you were asking about, I don't know the payload limits if you want extended flight times. Naturally this also has a lot to do with how aggressively you fly, the Opterra will pull pretty hard-> not going to give you extended flight times with the throttle buried. But it stays in the air with minimal throttle, you will get a lot more time out of it if you are going for endurance.
May 24, 2018, 09:20 PM
What's the point of "RTH" & "Loiter" if it flies for 5min on average?....lol

Its a cool feature to have...similar to my MFD module....
and there is no point of putting TBS nano 900mhz
RC rx in it if it can't go that far....
Im sure you tried putting a 4s 5000mah 10C in it (norm)?
lighter weight Lipo!

C'mon Aaron, you know that.

I've been watching your vids for many many yrs
now....remember the F27 you were flying via
19" monitor from back of your car?
I saw that years ago (2011?)....
May 25, 2018, 07:27 AM
Becoming grumpy old man
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
What's the point of "RTH" & "Loiter" if it flies for 5min on average?....lol

Its a cool feature to have...similar to my MFD module....
and there is no point of putting TBS nano 900mhz
RC rx in it if it can't go that far....
Im sure you tried putting a 4s 5000mah 10C in it (norm)?
lighter weight Lipo!

C'mon Aaron, you know that.

I've been watching your vids for many many yrs
now....remember the F27 you were flying via
19" monitor from back of your car?
I saw that years ago (2011?)....
lol, hey, cool, someone remembers me! I just don't want to put bad info out there. I haven't had a lot of time on it, and I had nothing to do with the development of this project, but I can say from what I've seen its a fairly well conceived model. I hope you guys like the manual though

.... that old Stryker airframe lived on for many years as a freeflight model for my kids, you may find a lot of old airframes are great for that! I still have the old 19" visio in the hard case, I may pull it out and hook it up for RC Fest. I miss that old Scion xB though, the only car I've ever purchased new.
1 mile Stryker (7 min 57 sec)

Brooks Night Stryker (6 min 34 sec)

And hey, I'm still doing things my own weird way... I was at the cutting edge of LiPo batteries in 2001 with Kokam 1020mAh home built packs (if you know what those are you are as ancient as me! lol) ... but now that everything and everyone has gone LiPo I've kind of had a hankerin for burning some good old glow fuel... with FPV added to the mix of course! you want flight time? My 1/2a FPV planes regularly get 15-20 minutes, and I'm converting an old 2 meter sailplane which will carry a 4 ounce tank and probably deliver nearly an hour.

FPV Nitro Shrike at Cinco De Flyo Drone Race (7 min 48 sec)

Nitro Stryker FPV (11 min 4 sec)

Sorry to diverge, I'm really good at that! Back on topic...
May 25, 2018, 11:58 AM
6 Mins flight time for FPV too short. I was hoping at at least 15 to 20 minutes.
May 25, 2018, 02:25 PM
Does increasing cell count improve efficiency? I would assume that the increased weight from a 3S to a 4S wouldn't help improve flight times. I have several 4S 2500 - 3300s and many 3S 2200s. Just curious if putting a 4S in and not firewalling the throttle would help.
May 25, 2018, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekibiogami
Does increasing cell count improve efficiency? I would assume that the increased weight from a 3S to a 4S wouldn't help improve flight times. I have several 4S 2500 - 3300s and many 3S 2200s. Just curious if putting a 4S in and not firewalling the throttle would help.

4s does
May 25, 2018, 03:20 PM
TIP ,,I get about 25 minutes on my 2M Opterra at half throttle with a 5000mAh 3 s battery..
Also about 75 to 80 MPH in Level Flight with all my FPV gear on it!!!
hope this helps
DanT
May 25, 2018, 05:01 PM

Flight time

6 Mins flight time for FPV too short. I was hoping at at least 15 to 20 minutes.
May 25, 2018, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartie
We won't know until its out...
Horizon Hobby is not dumb..im sure they loaded
it with more higher 'mah' lipos/Li-ion....
It would be dumb to have all these features if
5-12min of mix flying....what's the point besides
"Its cool" to have....

I hope they don't become LAZY
The "RED BARON guy" Aaron up above knows way
more about FPV (fixed wing) then most...hope he has input.
May 25, 2018, 10:53 PM

Flight time

I called Horizon that is what the tech guys told me plus it"s in the manual. They said you could use a 4 cell that would only give you more power and just few more seconds of flight time or longer flight times if you glide it and take it easy on the throttle. Full throttle would cut you time to about 4 minutes. I think it a great plane but short flight times is real bummer for me. Can someone prove me wrong.
May 26, 2018, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartie
I called Horizon that is what the tech guys told me plus it"s in the manual. They said you could use a 4 cell that would only give you more power and just few more seconds of flight time or longer flight times if you glide it and take it easy on the throttle. Full throttle would cut you time to about 4 minutes. I think it a great plane but short flight times is real bummer for me. Can someone prove me wrong.

I have some Li-ION ~4s batteries (7200mah).
It weighs similar to a 4s-3600mah 10c.
If I get this plane...it will fly longer then ~30min+
mix-flying...don't put your money on it.

It does sux that a 36" plane now-a-days you still
have to worry about flight times.
My other plane is no more then 28"WS and it flies
close to 1hr...I only land bc I'm tired or mosquitos
are eating me alive..lol
Last edited by rclab1; May 26, 2018 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply