Opterra S+ 1.2m FPV-Equipped BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Plus - RC Groups

Opterra S+ 1.2m FPV-Equipped BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Plus

The E-flite Opterra S+ 1.2m wing is designed to deliver a wide range of capabilities from sport flying to exploring and beyond.

Splash

Opterra S+ 1.2m FPV

Ohhhh this is exciting! Have you ever been to Champaign, IL? I was there last year at Eli Field and if there is one thing in great supply there it is wind! The whole Horizon crew had Opterras. We were doing some FPV flying and I quickly realized why they invented the Opterra 2m. It's so big and with the help of AS3X it didn't care how windy it was!

E-Flite Opterra 1.2m (PNP, BNF Basic, S+ FPV-Equipped with AS3X and SAFE Plus) (1 min 44 sec)

I swapped my Opterra with Matt Gunn who I could tell really wanted it. This new Opterra FPV might be my chance to get another one in the air. I guess I really like it if I'm hot to put one back in the hangar. I'm anxious to learn more about the FPV aspect of this bird.

LIVE Q&A - E-Flite Opterra 1.2m (25 min 57 sec)

This is a smaller version at 1.2m and that may be great for some since the original Opterra was pretty dang big! Below is all the info I have at this time. Let's look at the details.

Key Features

SAFE Plus and FPV Equipped

The factory-installed camera provides an incredible First Person View while the 25/200/600mW adjustable power output video transmitter with interactive On-Screen Display (OSD) shows informative telemetry data in real-time such as altitude, ground speed, battery voltage and flight mode—even the distance and direction to the home/GPS-initialization point is shown while you fly (headset/monitor sold separately). There’s also a forward-facing station above the nose where you can mount a GoPro Session, RunCam HD or other similar camera to record your flight in high-definition video.

Advanced Aerodynamics and Lightweight Construction

Central to the aircraft's amazing capabilities are the advanced aerodynamics that shapes its design. In addition to an efficient airfoil, winglets and fins on the fuselage help the model track true in a variety of conditions. Vortex generators near the leading edge of the top of the wing, and just ahead of the elevons on the bottom, enhance slow speed stability and control. The airframe itself is constructed of carbon-fiber reinforced, hollow-core EPO material that keeps weight to a minimum while maintaining strength and rigidity.

Advanced Aerodynamics and Lightweight Construction - 3S and 4S Compatible Brushless Power System with Folding Prop

The high-power brushless power system provides great power for carrying camera payloads or performing sport aerobatics when using 3S LiPo batteries—or you can use a 4S battery for even more power and performance without the need for any modifications or upgrades. When you want to power off and grab a thermal, the folding prop reduces drag so you can glide longer.

3S and 4S Compatible Brushless Power System with Folding Prop - Easy to Assemble and Transport

One of the model’s most impressive features is how easy it is to take anywhere you want it to go. Its plug-in wing panels feature hands-free servo connections and are secured without the need for tools or fasteners so assembly or disassembly can be done in almost no time at all.

Easy to Assemble and Transport - Bind-N-Fly® Basic with FPV

Bind-N-Fly (BNF) Basic aircraft make getting into the air quickly and with the best control experience possible easier than ever. They come out of the box with the servos, power system and a Spektrum™ 2.4GHz receiver installed, so all you need to do is bind the receiver to a compatible Spektrum transmitter, finish any final assembly and fly!

• Includes a factory-installed FPV camera and video transmitter with interactive OSD
  • Capable of sport flying, aerobatics, soaring and more
  • 3S and 4S LiPo compatible brushless motor and ESC
  • Exclusive SAFE® Plus GPS-enabled drone technology
  • AutoLand, Holding Pattern and Virtual Fence functions
  • Optional-use Altitude Hold, self-leveling and angle limits
  • Spektrum™ receiver with 2.4GHz DSMX® technology
  • Stability and precision of AS3X® technology
  • Tool-free and fastener-free airframe assembly
  • Convenient hands-free servo connection system
  • Enlarged elevons offer excellent control response at any speed
  • Multiple vortex generator locations enhance slow speed stability and control
  • Includes FPV camera and optional-use standard noses
  • Integrated keel makes launching easier and adds landing protection
  • Lightweight and durable EPO foam construction with carbon-fiber support
  • Molded-in LED channels for optional night flying capability
  • Compatible with an optional TBS Crossfire micro receiver for extended range operation

Specs

• Flying Weight: 34.6 oz (980 g)
  • Length: 20.7 in (525mm)
  • Material: Foam/Carbon
  • Minimum Required Radio: Full-Range 6+ Channel DSMX®/DSM2® (sold separately)
  • Minimum Speed Control: 30A Brushless, 3S–4S LiPo Compatible (installed)
  • Motor Size: 480-Size, 880Kv Brushless Outrunner (installed)
  • Recommended Motor Battery: 2200–3200mAh 3–4S LiPo with EC3™ Connector (sold separately)
  • Servos: (2) 13-Gram Digital Micro (installed)
  • Wing Area: 437 sq in (28.2 sq dm)
  • Wingspan: 47.2 in (1200mm)

Photos

Learn More

Head over to the Horizon site for pricing and more info!

May 17, 2018, 12:38 PM
May 17, 2018, 01:56 PM
RCG Admin
Like!
May 17, 2018, 03:09 PM
Like it too! Finally a 'plug and play' alternative to Parrot's DISCO. Can't wait to see the first videos and hear about how noisy it is (don' like the DISCO becaus of it's noise - you can't completely shut down it's motor)
May 17, 2018, 03:30 PM
What's the flight time ?
May 17, 2018, 03:56 PM
I like this size better than the original Opterra. A guy in my club has one and it seems too big especially with the power system it comes with. I thought that this one seemed expensive at first glance until I saw it comes with the FPV gear. It looks like a great way to get into FPV. I think I will get one if it’s fairly fast.
May 17, 2018, 04:12 PM
Tip ,, $350.00 !!! for this Toy at 1.2m
The Full Size one at 2.0m for $120.00 LESS !!
DanT
PS: update,, I just found out there are 3 different Models !
All have different price points !!
Last edited by DanT; May 17, 2018 at 05:49 PM.
May 17, 2018, 05:03 PM
Horizon Hobby's Thursday Thunder - 05/17/2018 (9 min 26 sec)
May 17, 2018, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592
I like this size better than the original Opterra. A guy in my club has one and it seems too big especially with the power system it comes with. I thought that this one seemed expensive at first glance until I saw it comes with the FPV gear. It looks like a great way to get into FPV. I think I will get one if it’s fairly fast.
Tip,,, the 2m Opterra is NOT SLOW,, it's Size ,, makes it LOOK slower then it really is !
Mine can hit 75 to 80 MPH in Level Flight ...! It was NOT made for Racing !
Hope this helps.
DanT
May 17, 2018, 06:35 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
that expensive version (S-plus) is TBS crossfire UHF compatible....

Hope they come out with a video on that setup.
Last edited by rclab1; May 17, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
May 17, 2018, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Tip,,, the 2m Opterra is NOT SLOW,, it's Size ,, makes it LOOK slower then it really is !
Hope this helps.
DanT
Is that on 4s power? His seemed slow on 3s. Maybe his lipo is worn out. Can you run 4s with the stock esc?
May 17, 2018, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592
Is that on 4s power? His seemed slow on 3s. Maybe his lipo is worn out. Can you run 4s with the stock esc?
To answer your question,, the 75 --80 MPH is on 3 Cell 5000mAh 50C batteries!
As for using 4S ,,, I could use them,, But,,, I've Replaced my Stock ESC with a Reversing Larger ESC that can take 4S easy!
For what I do with my Opterra,,, 3 cell works just fine..! I can fly at half throttle for about 20 to 25 minutes with all my FPV gear on it.
Hope this helps.
DanT
May 17, 2018, 07:44 PM
DanT

I think he meant the 1.2m version, not your 2m+ plane.....
May 17, 2018, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
DanT

I think he meant the 1.2m version, not your 2m+ plane.....
In post #11 he Quote me talking about my 2m Opterra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Hope this helps.
DanT
So, I believe we are talking about my 2m Opterra.
Hope this helps
DanT
May 18, 2018, 11:29 AM
Is there a video of attaching the TBS mini RC rx into this as of yet?

Quick Reply