May 17, 2018, 10:26 AM
AIRBORNE
Thread OP
New Product

New E-Flite 1.2m Opterra S+ coming!

Check it out! New 1.2m Opterra S+. This looks like it's going to be an amazing flyer like it's 2m big brother!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/opterra...ator1_05172018

Key Features
Includes a factory-installed FPV camera and video transmitter with interactive OSD
Capable of sport flying, aerobatics, soaring and more
3S and 4S LiPo compatible brushless motor and ESC
Exclusive SAFE® Plus GPS-enabled drone technology
AutoLand, Holding Pattern and Virtual Fence functions
Optional-use Altitude Hold, self-leveling and angle limits
Spektrum™ receiver with 2.4GHz DSMX® technology
Stability and precision of AS3X® technology
Tool-free and fastener-free airframe assembly
Convenient hands-free servo connection system
Enlarged elevons offer excellent control response at any speed
Multiple vortex generator locations enhance slow speed stability and control
Includes FPV camera and optional-use standard noses
Integrated keel makes launching easier and adds landing protection
Lightweight and durable EPO foam construction with carbon-fiber support
Molded-in LED channels for optional night flying capability
Compatible with an optional TBS Crossfire micro receiver for extended range operation

(1) Eflite Opterra S+ 1.2m FPV
(1) Spektrum DSMX/DSM2 4647 Serial Receiver, A3235 Flight Control with AS3X® and SAFE® Select Technologies, and a GPS Module for SAFE Plus features (installed)
(1) 30A Brushless, 3–4S LiPo Compatible
(1) 480-Size, 880Kv Brushless Outrunner
(2) 13-Gram Micro Servo
(1) Spektrum™ VC602 Camera
(1) Adjustable 25/200/600mW Video Transmitter with Interactive OSD
Last edited by VKGT; May 17, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2018, 11:45 AM
DFS#000178
The PNP and BNF Basic prices look good. If I we're going to get an Opterra I'd spend the little bit more to get the 2M version but this looks good for folks that need smaller planes.
May 17, 2018, 12:15 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
The PNP and BNF Basic prices look good. If I we're going to get an Opterra I'd spend the little bit more to get the 2M version but this looks good for folks that need smaller planes.
The 1.2m seems to have a hotter power system than the 2m. Especially given it supports 4S.

Looks like the 2m is the big cruiser, while the 1.2m is the sports model.
May 17, 2018, 12:26 PM
I’m torn on this one. Having compatibility with the Crossfire is great. But it doesn’t sound like it has standard RTH features on signal loss. I guess if you’re staying on 5.8 for video that doesn’t matter. It sounds decent for a short/medium range cruiser but adding a few more GPS related features would really push this into a different category. I wonder what flight times will be out of the box. That may make RTH unneeded if you can’t get out of range on a pack.
May 17, 2018, 12:39 PM
I clicked the link and thought the price was ludicrous at first. After looking at it closer, it looks like it is a decent price. I looked for the specs on the FPV equipment. I guess they will reveal the specs later. I'm definitely interested. It looks like it could be a great turnkey FPV setup for someone getting into it.

EDIT: I found the information on the FPV equipment. It looks like decent equipment. Is the Spektrum™ VC602 Camera any good?
May 17, 2018, 01:11 PM
"Mongo like beans"
I saw this and I like it a lot!
May 17, 2018, 01:31 PM
Rabid Rabbit
I would want to know more about the GPS capability. I was not pleased with the Carbon Cub S+ GPS
May 17, 2018, 02:24 PM
AIRBORNE
Thread OP
I have a pair the 2m big brother and love the way they fly. This definitely has a hotter power system so I am interested to see how quick they are and how much of a battery I could stick in there. I fly the 2m on 4S 5200s.

I'm heading to Horizon RC Fest 1-3 June and hope to check them out. Anyone else?

I'd personally use my own FPV gear and would opt for the PNP or BNF.
May 18, 2018, 12:52 PM
Would like to see a video of this fly.
May 20, 2018, 08:49 AM
Rabid Rabbit
I just watched the Thursday Thunder on this
LIVE Q&A - E-Flite Opterra 1.2m (25 min 57 sec)
Very interesting.
I like that it snaps apart and goes back into the box. I'm considering getting the PNP version (without the GPS or FPV features) , install a Lemon telemetry receiver and fly on 3S 2200.
May 22, 2018, 10:43 PM

E Flite Opterra 1.2 M

The New Opterra 1.2M looks Great. I Like all the new features like Atltude hold, virtual fence and RTH
The OSD straight out of the Box with Horizion Hobby support. Not sure of the CMOS camera but that can be easily upgrade.
I have looked at all the extras are nice. Pricey at $349 but I like the quality that Horizion Hobby puts in there products. I like the fact that it will go back in the box for easy of transport.
I have the Carbon S+ with GPS and it works great. I have the Sportaman S+ Gen 1 and Gen2 both work well .
Can not wait to get one for my self. Thanks Horizion Hobby.

E-Flite Opterra 1.2m (PNP, BNF Basic, S+ FPV-Equipped with AS3X and SAFE Plus) (1 min 44 sec)
Last edited by masterscross7; May 22, 2018 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Add youtube
May 22, 2018, 10:46 PM
Check out this new video
E-Flite Opterra 1.2m (PNP, BNF Basic, S+ FPV-Equipped with AS3X and SAFE Plus) (1 min 44 sec)
May 23, 2018, 07:49 AM
Rabid Rabbit
I want all f the features in an S+ but I want to pay for a PNP. Damn.
May 23, 2018, 07:54 AM
"Mongo like beans"
I am thinking I will go the high roller route and get the one with the bells and whistles, this will be my first fpv type plane if I choose to fpv it. Which, of course, I will.
May 23, 2018, 11:04 AM
Rabid Rabbit
I had a Carbon Cub S and didn’t care for the Nav unit. The Opterra S uses the same unit. It gives me the heebie jeebies

Quick Reply