May 16, 2018, 08:18 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Thread OP
Rave

Extreme Flight 69" Turbo Raven EXP

ORDER PAGE

I’m very happy to announce my next design with Extreme Flight, the 69” Turbo Raven EXP! This super light airplane is insanely capable, precise, and pure feeling on just a 60” power combo.

This aircraft is based on the short-lived full scale Turbo Raven piloted by Wayne Handley. The full scale Turbo Raven was an incredible machine. It was initially based on the Giles G-202 with extensive use of composites, and was one of the only full scale aerobatic planes with a greater than one to one thrust to weight ratio. In fact, with an empty weight of 1600 lbs, and 2800 lbs of thrust on tap (!) from its 750 hp turbo prop engine, it had a power loading ready to fly of 276 watts per pound. That’s insane! It was capable of full 3D flight including flying straight out of flat spins, torque rolls, stop and start vertical uplines, and going from brake release to 3000 meters AGL in one minute and nine seconds (!!). Sadly, exactly one year after its debut, the G-750 Turbo Raven crashed at an airshow. Wayne survived despite serious injuries and continues to fly and train aerobatic pilots to this day.

Back to the Turbo Raven EXP.

After the Turbo Bushmaster, we wanted to do something else with a similar philosophy: use weight savings to maximum advantage. People often say that they don’t like planes that are too light. In many cases, taking a traditional design and building it as light as possible is a mistake. Without enough power and some mass the plane feels slow, sloppy, bad in the wind, and imprecise. However, the Turbo Raven EXP was designed from the outset to fly well at extremely low wing loadings.

I chose the Turbo Raven as a modelling subject for a few reasons. It’s very clean, and drag is the enemy when building big and light. Secondly, we can make the fuselage very narrow without affecting aesthetics which reduces weight and drag and keeps the ailerons close in for good authority in 3D. And finally, it’s a very unique airplane. There’s really nothing else like it, and I am ready for new things in 3D!

I chose a wingspan of 69” for use with the well proven 60” power combo. The airfoil was designed for just this plane and offers a great balance of precision feel, clean stalls for smooth 3D, and an immediate response around center.

Control surface areas, moments, and placement were all analyzed with the same approach I have used for smaller foam designs to get the response I wanted.

When Chris sent me the prototype he also sent along a prototype of a new motor. I can’t go into too many details yet as it is not quite finalized but this one is quite happy turning a 17x8 prop at about 1700 watts which is a great match for this airframe. I am also running the excellent Savox SV-1260’s in this plane. It’s great to have so many excellent mini servos available now...MKS 9767 or KST 589 would also work very well.

As soon as I had the first prototype in the air I knew we had something special on our hands. It is so locked in in all axes it is incredible. Knife edge coupling is gone, I am running no mixing. The pitch response is so smooth it’s uncanny. Rolls are as axial as anything I’ve ever seen. I’ve flown a handful of pattern planes in different sizes and this beats all of them. The roll rate is very fast but very controllable and very consistent. It’s one of the easiest planes I’ve ever flown to rifle roll! Breaking into 3D, wing rock is absent as expected of an EF airplane. Rolling harriers are fast but consistent, and perfectly axial. Despite the swept wing and precision, pitch authority is very good. Doing a parachute will actually get the nose to pop up a little into a full harrier, and forward waterfalls are no problem at all. Despite the low weight, I actually feel this plane is better in the wind than a regular 60” plane. The plane feels as good and unique as it looks...it’s a totally new experience.

We still have a little more work to do before they are ready for market. I have been flying mine on 6S 5000 because it’s the only way I can get it to balance. We have a couple methods of fixing that. The production plane should be happy on 3300-3700’s. We will also be reducing the overall weight quite a bit. I expect it to shed about a half pound from the prototype I have been flying and that will make it even better.

Feel free to ask questions here and I’ll do my best to answer them!

My video, filmed by SupaTim:

One Flight with the 69" Turbo Raven EXP (5 min 28 sec)

Thanks to Arkole Blake for some great video:

Extreme Flight 69" Turbo Raven prototype 9 27 18 (4 min 59 sec)
Last edited by cwojcik; Aug 12, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2018, 08:31 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Fantastic work Cody, et al. I’m pumped for this one. It’s reminiscent of the Vyper but clearly takes the hybrid idea to the next level. I love the more airplane/same equipment approach. I’m also a big fan of the savox 1260s in the TBM—wicked fast and perfectly precise. Can’t wait to get my hands on a turbo raven!!!
May 16, 2018, 08:37 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Thread OP
Thanks Isaiah. Yes, you can definitely feel a little Vyper when you fly it. A little Inspire too, The feel of that swept wing is unmistakable and it presents extremely well too.
May 16, 2018, 08:40 PM
Soar high, huck low
Sign me up! Beautiful. Well done Cody!
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
May 16, 2018, 08:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Suuubscribed!!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 16, 2018, 09:42 PM
I am not a robot

Very sharp Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik
Thanks Isaiah. Yes, you can definitely feel a little Vyper when you fly it. A little Inspire too, The feel of that swept wing is unmistakable and it presents extremely well too.
Narrow fuse leaves plenty of room for 6S ? 3300 ? Graphics from factory or BandE ?
May 16, 2018, 10:42 PM
Subbed.

Would love to use some of my 6s 5000s in a bird like this.
May 16, 2018, 10:56 PM
Oh Mama!!! I wish I could get a pull on the sticks
May 16, 2018, 11:24 PM
Cody,

To quote Captain Jack Sparrow - That is interesting - that is very interesting!

What sort of weights are we talking with this puppy and how does it compare to it's 60" counterparts? Fantastic work by the way.

Many thanks in advance mate.

All the Best

Danny
May 17, 2018, 05:57 AM
This would be very interesting with a reversing ESC!
May 17, 2018, 07:41 AM
100% electric since 1990
Been looking for a new home for my 6s packs and 10 yr. old geared inrunner system- yes out dated, but also very efficient and powerful. I've been looking at the TBM, but this could also be a nice change of pace.

I already ruled out the AJ ARS 300 67", as it is just too heavy for my 1700 watt power system.
May 17, 2018, 12:29 PM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Narrow fuse leaves plenty of room for 6S ? 3300 ? Graphics from factory or BandE ?
Yes. 6S 5000 fits easily. Proportionally the fuse is narrow compared to an Extra or something like that but the overall size is plenty for any of the packs you could imagine. This is what it looks like with a 5000:

Again, this is a prototype, so the final position of the batteries will be a little further back most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man
Cody,

To quote Captain Jack Sparrow - That is interesting - that is very interesting!

What sort of weights are we talking with this puppy and how does it compare to it's 60" counterparts? Fantastic work by the way.

All the Best

Danny
I am hesitant to throw out an exact weight because I expect it to decrease from the prototypes but I'm not sure by how much. However, I'll say that the one I have been flying is about 7.9 lbs with the 5000 pack. At this weight, power is satisfying with the 5000 mah pack and it's very comfortable in 3D. However, simply going to the 3700's will save about a half pound. There are other areas of construction that we will be working on that should save more weight as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
Been looking for a new home for my 6s packs and 10 yr. old geared inrunner system- yes out dated, but also very efficient and powerful. I've been looking at the TBM, but this could also be a nice change of pace.

I already ruled out the AJ ARS 300 67", as it is just too heavy for my 1700 watt power system.
1700 watts will feel great in this plane on a 17" prop. If your motor and gearbox weighs less than 350 grams and you can mount it in the same spot as a Torque outrunner then you will be golden.
May 17, 2018, 02:54 PM
Love the looks, and as you said, it's something different than the rest of the aerobatic crowd that's currently available. I'm probably gonna have to start saving my pennies
May 17, 2018, 04:29 PM
How many square inch of wing?
May 17, 2018, 08:26 PM
Cody,

Many thanks for your response mate. I also appreciate that at this stage of the game it is a work in progress so the weight is definitely in flux so all good.

That being said I have some more questions,

1) Engine heating. Looking at the prototype with that intake you seem like you have good cooling for the battery. However how is the motor holding up?

2) Also if you are in a position to supply it what wing area are we talking? I want to run a parametric analysis compared to my 60" MXS EXP. It's coming up for replacement and I was thinking the 60"Laser v2 but this has caught my interest.

Danny

Quick Reply