This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 16, 2018, 04:45 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Discussion

Mods and Maiden - New 95" Extra 330SC-E

I worked hard over the last few days and all through the night on Monday to finish my new Extreme Flight 95" Extra 330SC-E for a maiden flight Tuesday morning (yesterday). I tried to minimize modifications to make the build go faster, but couldn't resist a few changes. One of the time-consuming mods I made was to automate arming of the ESC. That added a total of 1.5 ounces to the AUW, which came out a bit heavier than expected at 20.6 pounds. That's with 5 pounds of batteries! (8000 mAh Glacier 30C LiPos) At least it's lighter than my 87" Extra, which has 6000s.

ESC arming is controlled by a micro DPDT switch mounted to the fuse right below the fail safe pin switch. The pin has a "Remove Before Flight" flag attached to it, which covers the arming switch when the receiver power is Off. That provides a reminder not to arm the plane until I pull the pin and power up the receiver. The ESC arming switch has no power, though, until the pin is removed, so there is some redundancy there.

Fail safe was checked and tested this time!

A couple other minor mods was adding a nylon spacer to extend the wheel axles. That provided a resting point for a support block glued to the inside of the outer wall of the wheel pants.

I didn't add a custom battery tray to this plane to save weight, and I miss that already after two flights! To avoid the hassle of removing batteries stuck tightly to the deck with velcro, I used rubber stops supplied by Aloft Hobbies. They work well to hold back five pounds of batteries from sliding out of the hold down straps.

With the batteries up against the wing tube the plane balanced perfectly with a neutral CG. You can see all the components and layout in the PDF below. I didn't have time for a lot of pictures.

Last pick is a funny mistake I made while rigging the pull-pull rudder. I inserted some scrap plywood to prevent tools from falling into the fuse and damaging the delicate exhaust louvers molded into the bottom. After completing the set up I realized I couldn't remove the scrap ply! I had to undo one of the wires to remove it. Considering the rush I was in to finish the plane, I was happy that was the worst mistake I made on this build.

I had an Unlimited IMAC pilot help me with trims and mixes, so after two successful flights this plane is starting to fly quite nicely. Getting through two Sportsman sequences is no problem. I'm looking forward to competing with the new plane this weekend in Muncie at the first IMAC contest of the season in the Midwest.
Last edited by rclad; May 17, 2018 at 09:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2018, 04:08 AM
How is it going with trimming. How was your experience at the IMAC contest? I am flying Intermidiate class and I am interested in going electric. Thanks and let us know.

Quick Reply