May 16, 2018, 04:55 AM
Discussion

Panasonic NCR18650B Li ion

Got my 3s pack all soldered up after waiting the usual month for the bits and bobs to arrive from China.
You were spot on about the low 'C' rating BC, the power output was noticeably less than the lipo 3s 35c 2200 Zops I'd been using.
However, there was enough power to hand launch my ASW-28 (2.6m) glider and once she'd gained sufficient altitude I was able to cruise around for about 17mins of motor only flight.
It's a bit disconcerting seeing voltage displayed of under 10v so I chickened out eventually and landed only to see the voltage immediately return to around the 10.3 v mark.
The Amps module of my F2s FC packed up months ago so unfortunately, I couldn't see what was being drawn , but I know that at a throttle setting of about 65 ( as shown on the OSD) she used to draw around 6amps.
I followed that flight with another one with which I used one of my Zop lipo's.
I tried to replicate the previous flight as closely as possible regarding throttle use and flight course.
The Zop managed a slightly longer flight time but I took it much lower than I'd meant to by ballsing up two landing attempts
So all in all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I have a pack that with gentle use should give me noticeably longer in the air and cost a fraction of a similar size Lipo here in NZ.
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2018, 05:15 AM
fast
I'm using NCR18650B for over 4 years, no wear out yet
LG HE2 and Samsung 25R did wear out after 100-150cycles, Panasonics seem to have many more cycles

DIY FPV quad/gimbal 27x zoom camcorder SONY CX240 (1 min 53 sec)
May 16, 2018, 06:14 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Cool tests on Li-IONs....

p.s.
why are the Li-IONs names sooooo long?
can they just name it something very simple so buying them are easier?...
just askin'
May 16, 2018, 08:05 PM
fly by night
I think the names are long and cryptic cause they were never intended for consumers to buy. They usually come hidden within laptops and other devices or proprietary battery packs.

but then many consumer computers and laptops come with similarly incomprehensible long model names too. Might be partly why Apple sells so many Macbooks, lol.
May 16, 2018, 08:12 PM
fly by night
good job on making and using your own li-ion packs Dram!

but like I said before, those are fairly low discharge rated cells. One site told me they are max 6.8amps, while the typical li-ion used for RC are rated 10-20 amps. I've used cells like those before and was disappointed with serious volts-sag but they were still usable in my very very light converted-DLG. But that all depends on the application of course. It is still a heck of a lot of capacity per weight! It should deliver more than double the flight time of a similar weight lipo cell pack - if it doesn't then there is just too much voltage sag (ie amps) being drawn to work properly.

I know using the LG HG2 cells, rated at max 20 amps, I experience VERY minimal sag even after half hour of flying (and they are good to 60 minutes in my nanogoblin, with 3000mah 2S pack) https://www.orbtronic.com/lg-hg2-20a...-18650-battery It's getting that I only need to charge one pack for my fill of flying any given day (unlike with my miniquad I have to take 8 packs)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; May 16, 2018 at 08:17 PM.
May 17, 2018, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
good job on making and using your own li-ion packs Dram!

but like I said before, those are fairly low discharge rated cells. One site told me they are max 6.8amps, while the typical li-ion used for RC are rated 10-20 amps. I've used cells like those before and was disappointed with serious volts-sag but they were still usable in my very very light converted-DLG. But that all depends on the application of course. It is still a heck of a lot of capacity per weight! It should deliver more than double the flight time of a similar weight lipo cell pack - if it doesn't then there is just too much voltage sag (ie amps) being drawn to work properly.

I know using the LG HG2 cells, rated at max 20 amps, I experience VERY minimal sag even after half hour of flying (and they are good to 60 minutes in my nanogoblin, with 3000mah 2S pack) https://www.orbtronic.com/lg-hg2-20a...-18650-battery It's getting that I only need to charge one pack for my fill of flying any given day (unlike with my miniquad I have to take 8 packs)
Thanks BC,
They took 2000mah back from that first fly. Tonight I flew again and this time I felt more confident with them so pushed them a bit longer.
I reckon 6.5 amps would be about right for a constant discharge figure rather than max.
I flew it for 30 mins this time with one 90sec glide thrown in and landed with 10.2 v shown at rest.
The lowest it went under load was around 8v while fannying around trying to land on my plot of land.
The pack was just luke warm at the end , so -so far so good
The total cost of this 3400 3s pack was $38 NZ D which is cheap for a battery of that size here.
The next pack will be using your recommended higher Amp Hr ones
May 17, 2018, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit
I'm using NCR18650B for over 4 years, no wear out yet
LG HE2 and Samsung 25R did wear out after 100-150cycles, Panasonics seem to have many more cycles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZa1KlJrms8
Great to hear your success with these.
I assume your quad doesn't draw many amps then?
My 2.6m span glider struggles slightly on take off with these but once airborne it cruises at around a 6-7 amp draw .
May 17, 2018, 02:00 PM
fast
here you can see OSD numbers:
average power 115w
11m flight 2.24Ah used (half pack), windy day. Voltage drops under 8.5v while flying over 40km/h
Betzet fpv osd dvr, 3s2p NCR18650B 4y/o pack (3 min 15 sec)

4y/o are somewhat fresh for Li-Ion
10 years old notebook Ions:
10 y/o Lenovo T60 battery pack to power drone (1 min 26 sec)
May 17, 2018, 04:00 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
FmKit...

My favorite vid of yours from many years ago...
I want to do this this weekend...Hehehehee

laser falcon (0 min 30 sec)
May 17, 2018, 05:46 PM
fly by night
that's freaking hilarious. well done

Quick Reply