May 15, 2018, 07:58 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Aerobtec Altis Nano AMRT for ALES/F5J

I've been using the Aerobtec Altis V4+ for 2 years now, and it performs flawlessly. I had an issue of not being able to get the 'Emergency Motor Restart' function to work, but tech support at Aerobtec is very good, despite the 8 hour time difference between MDT and Slovakia. I was able to resolve my issue (Spektrum motor channel endpoints) within a few email exchanges.

I first heard about the Altis Nano AMRT earlier this spring, and inquired about when they would be available. Aerobtec was kind enough to send one of the first production models for testing and review.

The Altis Nano is noticeably smaller than the Altis V4+, but has exactly the same functionality, including the Micro USB port, and a small port into which you can plug either the telemetry converter, or for the optional keypad for configuration in the field without a computer. The same micro keypad and also the larger 'Device Terminal' that work with the V4+ work with the Nano.

The device has several different firmware versions available, including an ALES version, with 100, 150, or 200m launch height, a pure F5J 'plug and play' version (this is the version that was certified with the FAI for F5J use), and a 'generic' version, where every parameter is configurable, but has several presets for ALES or F5J. I have tested the ALES version in a club contest in April, and the 'generic' version (set for F5J with emergency motor restart enabled) in the F5J in the Desert 2 day contest last week. I have not tested the 'pure' F5J version of the firmware.

Early testing revealed a bug with the generic firmware where the emergency motor restart did not work. An email and log file sent to Aerobtec, and 24 hours later, they had fixed the bug and made the new version available, which works perfectly.

The Altis Nano works just like it's supposed to. I find the configuration using the 'Flight Manager' software for windows very easy to use. Some people may have trouble reading the very small OLED display, but I am blessed (?) with being near sighted, so I could read it perfectly. It is slightly less expensive than the Altis V4+. One huge advantage to using the Altis Nano (or the V4+) is the logging that it does. It logs altitude, motor signals in/out, battery voltage, temperature, and some calculated variometer functions.

Attached is a picture of the Nano next to the V4+ for size comparisons, and also a flight log from round 3 of the preliminary flights in Las Vegas, showing a save from 14m at 3 minutes! I ended up with a 9:54 and a 40 landing, but could only manage a 5th place in my round because I launched to 178m (the wind had really picked up by this time). The four pilots who beat me had all launched to < 100m. That's F5J!

According to the Aerobtec web site, the Altis Nano is available from 4 distributors in the US, but only these two list the Nano on their web sites:
Aloft Hobbies
Soaring USA
Last edited by gdouglas; May 16, 2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: fix err URL
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2018, 08:26 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Can you show us a close up of each display??
May 15, 2018, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Yep. tomorrow will get pictures with actual F5J height measurements on each display.

--
Greg
May 16, 2018, 07:23 AM
Tragic case
More manufacturers are including Bluetooth connectivity in devices. I’d like to be able to connect to an iOS or android device via Bluetooth and upload data, download configurations

I do agree that Altus device is very functional and they are responsive to contact.
May 16, 2018, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch
More manufacturers are including Bluetooth connectivity in devices. I’d like to be able to connect to an iOS or android device via Bluetooth and upload data, download configurations
I would never use a bluetooth enabled AMRT, so why should I have to pay the added expense (both the parts, and development).

Unless.... I could hack into all the other competitors' bluetooth enabled AMRTs and make them all display 250m launch heights! Or better yet, '---.-'

--
Greg
May 16, 2018, 11:09 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Bluetooth would b nice,,,, but,,, as Greg said,, why pay extra for development,, and as they are now is fine right??? In this context Bluetooth is way overkill and totally UN neccessary.
Greg, does the Nano use same flight manager software as the V4??

Jerry
May 16, 2018, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Greg, does the Nano use same flight manager software as the V4??

Jerry
As long as you update to the latest version of Flight Manager, ver 4.2.0, which works with all their devices.

--
Greg
May 16, 2018, 01:03 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
As long as you update to the latest version of Flight Manager, ver 4.2.0, which works with all their devices.

--
Greg
I just downloaded that version, thanks
May 16, 2018, 02:58 PM
Tragic case
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
I would never use a bluetooth enabled AMRT, so why should I have to pay the added expense (both the parts, and development).

Unless.... I could hack into all the other competitors' bluetooth enabled AMRTs and make them all display 250m launch heights! Or better yet, '---.-'

--
Greg
I guess your comment goes for a lot of features on a lot of gadgets.

CC controllers can be linked by bluetooth now, although you still have to plug the adaptor into the controller, some chargers have bluetooth connectivity. For sure not everyone uses it. I have a deflection gauge that links by bluetooth to the phone.

Personally I'd like to be able to download flights onto my phone out at the field without having to lug the portable computer (which these days I rarely use) around.

Maybe an adaptor like cc one would do the job.
May 16, 2018, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Picture showing the size of the displays in the Nano and the V4+ posted to post #1.

--
Greg
May 16, 2018, 09:04 PM
If the functionality is identical, and given both models weigh close to the same, why upgrade to get less screen? Makes no sense to me. Footprint in fuse in either case is negligeable. Seems like a useless refresh from them.
Make it Bluetooth with a smartphone app. Now we're in business!
May 16, 2018, 09:12 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
They appear to be about the same in terms of readability.
I guess the refresh is more for new buyers and people who have planes where space in fuse is at a premium.
I can think of a couple planes where it would be nicer
May 16, 2018, 09:35 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Just got mine from SUSA. It is nice and easy to read. Gotta love OLED screens. I've only had the CAM units so I can't compare this to other Aerobtec devices. The size will make it fairly easy to jam out of the way.

Regarding Bluetooth, I'd love to have that functionality. Programming at the field would be very easy. Forget a cable or the key doodad? Everyone has a phone with Bluetooth. I also hate dragging my big ol laptop out to the bench where space is already at a premium. Having or not won't make my buying purchase with stuff like this. If my local crew is using the Altis then I'm using it.
May 16, 2018, 09:43 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
And isn't the Nano 2g lighter?? ;-)
May 17, 2018, 11:38 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
So what you're saying is that with 14 of them I'd save an oz!

Quick Reply