Pizzabox flier v2 - RC Groups
May 15, 2018, 04:34 PM
Build Log

Pizzabox flier v2

Decided to build a new one. My old heavy pbf was just taking too many hits. The new motor upgrade gave it tons of thrust but it still didn't fix the fact that it could suddenly start rocking or suddenly dive to the ground if you went too slow.

This time it's 1 layer of foam and done landscape instead of portrait.

No spar. The foam has stretched fibre tape ran length and width. Once the packing tape was on it is surprisngly strong.

I'm recyclying my electronics so it will still be heavier than it should be. But it should have shed a substantial Mount of weight due to all the hotglue to stick it together and the 2 foam sheets.

Later on ilk probably downgrade the motor and battery to something more suitable le. 3s 2200 is probably a bit over the top
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2018, 05:49 AM
Complete. Didnt use measurements. 1 sheet of hk foam.

Think I light need a bigger rudder..

Now the disappointing part. So turns out (and this makes sense) most of the weight is in the electronics.

My pizza box v1 without battery weight about 450g V2 390g

I have concerns about it folding I tight turns with the current setup. I think that this would be more suited to a much smaller electronics

However the servos would need to move back as its balancing at the expert 25% mark with the heavy batterry all the way forward
May 16, 2018, 01:25 PM
Success!

Flew great with cg at 25% Mark. Launched with ease and was going vertical at half throttle.. Much gentler and predicable stall.

It will fly upside aswell (my old one would get stuck inverted if you wernt carry full) it rolls straighter. It loops better and harriers better.

Need to make the tail bigger as it doesn't really do much
May 16, 2018, 05:51 PM
What do you think the weight would be if you pulled the tape off and ran one carbon spar through the middle? If your looking for more durability, I would maybe then see about think carbon spar running the perimeter, minus the elevons. I think that would give you more strength with at least equal or less weight. I would definitely move those servos all the way forward, and try to drop the battery size down, even to an 1800mah would make a difference.

I build a 20"x30" out of DTF this winter, and had a heck of a time balancing the thing out. I only ran rudder/elevator with the wing tips angled up. Fleg great when balanced tho! Have fun!
May 16, 2018, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJayJay
What do you think the weight would be if you pulled the tape off and ran one carbon spar through the middle? If your looking for more durability, I would maybe then see about think carbon spar running the perimeter, minus the elevons. I think that would give you more strength with at least equal or less weight. I would definitely move those servos all the way forward, and try to drop the battery size down, even to an 1800mah would make a difference.

I build a 20"x30" out of DTF this winter, and had a heck of a time balancing the thing out. I only ran rudder/elevator with the wing tips angled up. Fleg great when balanced tho! Have fun!
Removing tape wouldn't remove much weight in relation to the electronics. I think the 2200mah battery weight 220g, the motor is a heavy 50g motor , let's say 300g is the battery and motor alone.

If I went down to a 2 cell and a 20g motor I could use half the amount of fibre tape I used.It would probably get the flying weight down to 400g instead of somewhere around 700g.

that being said it does fly very well. Not sure if it's the weight los doing it landscape instead of portrait or both. it's definatly not efficient for such a large battery im pretty sure flight times are less than 10 minutes
May 18, 2018, 03:08 AM
I need to get a scale, so i can weigh the tape, but i cant imagine the fibre tape being much more than a carbon fibre rod. The packing tape is cheap stuff from hobbyking so very thin and not much glue.

i am concerned about getting this to balance after sheding weight of the front.. the servos are nly 9g servos so say 30g, if i loose atleast 100g of the front, moving those servos back isnt going to help i dont think
May 19, 2018, 12:13 PM
flyin' fool
I love the Pizza Box Flyer and have built lots. The one thing we found was that they fly better with some side area.

Here's my most simple, a fun scale and my smallest at 8" .............................
Last edited by goldguy; May 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
May 19, 2018, 12:49 PM
Yeah didn't bother with th side as I'd most likely break it. It's that 200g batterry and 60g motor up front...
May 19, 2018, 04:07 PM
flyin' fool
Move the rudder hinge line back to the elevon TE to make it work with authority.
May 20, 2018, 06:38 PM
Scratch Builder
That gave me inspiration for an actual flying pizza box. Good thing its pizza night...
Yesterday, 01:58 AM
Great idea will do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Move the rudder hinge line back to the elevon TE to make it work with authority.

Quick Reply