May 15, 2018, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Rant

Newbie and really frustrated!!!

So I decided to join the ranks of r/c flying as it was something I wanted to do for a while. I followed the rules, joined a club and contacted a trainer who by the way is the best trainer and even better person in the world. He doesn't even charge for the time he puts into teaching multiple students how to fly. So everything ok up to there.... however, here is my rant: There is nowhere to fly these things, they don't allow flying anywhere... only in the club's airfield, which takes me about 45 minutes each way to get to... oh, an I can't practice anywhere so it's been 3 months and I have only been able to fly once....ONCE! And since I am a newbie, no way I can go the airfield and try to fly there... are you kidding me... I would probable be chewed by the GOM (Grumpy Old Men) that dominate this hobby!!! I now understand why the elevated ratio of GOM in the hobby. I guess you have to be retired to have the time to go to the airfield on a weekday, early in the morning to practice and learn. Going there in the weekends (for those of us who work) is impossible with so many people (yes more GOM) flying, there is absolutely no way a real newbie can get some flying time.

Rant over.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2018, 11:05 PM
Forbegos,

Sorry you're having trouble. Slow, down and take a deep breath. You really are ranting. You say there is nowhere to fly "these things." "They" might not allow flying just anywhere because it isn't safe. (Or it could be that California has come to Colorado.) We don't know what you're flying. It could be a 20 ounce electric foamy or a 15 pound gasser. That makes a difference as to what makes a safe area.

I knew this guy named Bud Frazier where I flew a long time ago. Bud was older but certainly not "grumpy" unless you did something that endangered him. He gave freely of his time to anyone that asked for help. He was a role model for me. One of my aspirations was to be like Bud when I retired. A field is now named after him. RIP, Bud.

I was in my 30s at the time and many years later I retired just a few months ago, not even eligible for Medicare yet. We're not all grumpy just because we're experienced. Many of us started flying as children. I got my first control line airplane for my 9th birthday and it's been a lifelong venture.

I have never seen anyone charge for training new flyers other than some commercial businesses that are in the business of training RC pilots. I am having trouble understanding why you can't go to the field and meet your instructor for more training. Realistically, many clubs would not exist if not for the old guys. They're the ones that mow the grass and keep up with other maintenance. They tend to fix things out of their own pocket and not ask for reimbursement. They worked many years to develop fields and will work to protect their investment of time and money. Because they have been flying for a long time they are aware of the consequences of unsafe practices and will watch new flyers closely out of their sense of self preservation. I'm not saying you're unsafe but until they know you and know you can safely control your airplane they will watch you more closely as they should and will any new flyer. You did not mention your state of training. Are you still needing an instructor for takeoffs? Landings? Just general assistance at this point?

We've all been there when it comes to working all week and only getting to fly on the weekends when everyone else is wanting to do the same thing. Just get to the field early on Saturdays before the whole crowd arrives and when it gets busier than you're comfortable with then socialize, listen and learn from the older members. Treat them as you wish to be treated and they will become friends.
May 16, 2018, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
David,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am ranting. I do have an instructor named Bud Glass. He is the best, super patient and willing to put all the time in the world for you. My problem is not that, it's the limitation of time to learn. Bud masterfully negotiated a space (not the airfield) for training, however I only have Sundays to attend and it will take a long time until I am ready to go to the airfield, which will also be on Sundays due to work. I guess what I am saying is that I thought there would be more freedom for me to got to my local park and fly my airplane (only flying a foam starter airplane: Apprentice). I am finding that because of all the restrictions this is not the case and maybe this not for me because of that. Maybe I should try instead r/c cars... I don't know at this point. But thank you again for your reply, you make good points and I won't make a decision under a rant mindset! BTW, I am in Colorado, Denver area, live in Castle Rock.
May 16, 2018, 11:32 AM
Heath
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbegos
I thought there would be more freedom for me to got to my local park and fly my airplane.
The apprentice is a nice plane but too large for many parks, you should consider something smaller.
Like this: Champ RTF
Or this: sport cub

Also if you are serious about learning to fly you should get a simulator so you can practice whenever you have time. This will make any training you can attend far more effective.

The root of your problem is that you are trying to follow a set of 'rules' that does not apply to your situation. Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Get a simulator, a smaller plane and really look around for an open space to fly closer to home.
May 16, 2018, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salin
The apprentice is a nice plane but too large for many parks, you should consider something smaller.
Like this: Champ RTF
Or this: sport cub

Also if you are serious about learning to fly you should get a simulator so you can practice whenever you have time. This will make any training you can attend far more effective.

The root of your problem is that you are trying to follow a set of 'rules' that does not apply to your situation. Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Get a simulator, a smaller plane and really look around for an open space to fly closer to home.
I have a simulator...(boring)... and I have looked around and even asked the HOA's and Castle Rock's park and open spaces management: denied! I just heard from another local flyer that Colorado has gone off the rails in the last year with regards to regulation. As for the square peg, you are right... that's why I am saying that maybe I should move on to another option, this is not working for me.
May 16, 2018, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
I guess I can ask the following question then: If I get a smaller plane like the ones suggested, and I try flying in an open space (even though Castle Rock's Park and open spaces tell me they don't allow it) what happens if I get caught? Fine? How much?
May 16, 2018, 04:24 PM
Heath
Quote:
I guess I can ask the following question then: If I get a smaller plane like the ones suggested, and I try flying in an open space (even though Castle Rock's Park and open spaces tell me they don't allow it) what happens if I get caught? Fine? How much?
You would have to look up the relevant local code on the website of the local government. But I would advise you not to break any local park rules.

You may want to get a smaller plane and approach them again in person so they can see what you want to fly. When you say R/C plane they may be thinking of something very different and much bigger.

That being said, if you don't want to put the time into learning to fly using a simulator, are unwilling to travel to a place where you can fly legally, or invest the time to find a legal flying site that is close to home you may want to consider a different hobby.

I would also ask you to consider that the difficulties you are experiencing are not due to Grumpy Old Men at flying fields, but rather your local parks department and HOA rules combined with personal choices such as were to live and how to spend your time.
May 16, 2018, 05:20 PM
You should take up Free Flight. You're pretty close to a VERY good field.
May 17, 2018, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan berry
You should take up Free Flight. You're pretty close to a VERY good field.
OK? And what is that exactly?
May 17, 2018, 06:01 PM
Quote:
OK? And what is that exactly?
Serious question?
May 17, 2018, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Serious question?
Yes, as I said, I am a total newbie... and remember, there is no such thing as a dumb/bad question... unless you are one of those.... hmmm... GOM?
May 17, 2018, 07:05 PM
Free Flight is the first kind of toy airplanes that there were. Throw'em into the air and chase'em down. The club in Denver has a good field and they welcome ne guys.
May 17, 2018, 08:53 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Get yourself a Hobbyzone Champ, a few extra batteries, and go find an empty field nearby...and teach yourself!
May 17, 2018, 08:58 PM
The frustration you feel finding a close in your backyard field is quite familiar to many of us.
Not too many years ago (pre drone) restrictions were fewer.
Even those of us who live in rural settings with enough land to safely fly over are being hemmed in with new subdivisions that are populated with people who don’t want to see or hear planes or Heli’s in their space.
If you can manage to put time in on the simulator your skills will grow quickly, allowing you to enjoy your flying club time.
May 18, 2018, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Free Flight is the first kind of toy airplanes that there were. Throw'em into the air and chase'em down. The club in Denver has a good field and they welcome ne guys.
You could be a good guy and give him some useful information. He's new to RC and in Colorado which is the east branch of California these days. If it's fun they want to regulate or outlaw it.

Quick Reply