This thread is privately moderated by Eddie P, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2018, 06:47 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP
Discussion

Assortment of Freewing EDF Jets

This will be my clearing house of information regarding a collection of Freewing EDF jets I have acquired in 2016 through current date (2018 at the time of this post).

For organization and brevity I'll limit the specific details to the following jets (though I have and have owned several other FW jets, these are my favorites):

1) McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom (Nick Names: Double Ugly, Rhino, Old Smokey, Lead Sled) - Birfrucated exhaust from single 90mm EDF
2) Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig-21 (Nick Names: "Balalaika" for Russians, "Fishbed" for Westerners) - Single 80mm EDF
3) Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (Nickname: Warthog, for Pilots) - Twin 80 or 90mm EDF
4) Sebart Designed Avanti (Freewing Licenced Avanti, Sport Jet) - Single 80mm EDF
Last edited by Eddie P; May 24, 2018 at 02:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2018, 07:05 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP

F-4 Phantom

This kit is a really nice addition from Freewing in 2018. It goes along with their massive nod to the history surrounding US Air Power during the Vietnam Way era and compliments previous FW jet releases ~ such as the A-6 (80mm), the F-8 (64mm), A-4 Skyhawk (80mm), F-105 (64mm), and others.

The F-4 Phantom has a great thread here on RCG. I purchased my version the day it was announced in a pre-order. I signed up for the stock 6s PNP version. Arguably it was a risk as the F-4 Phantom has nicknames such as "Lead Sled" and other references to high wing loading. Would 6s be enough? I decided it would, based on my observation of recent FW releases in concert with the guys at distributor Motion RC helping out in the design process to make sure these jets come as flyable, tested and refined as possible for the price point. This collaboration has been paying off in spades with one model being better than the next it seems. Especially, in areas that foam ARF's previously struggled in. such as - Wing loading matching power available; structure being a balance of light weight and rigid structure; flight controls being properly designed and servos getting better with linkages and hinges being effective; EDF units being balances and efficient, motors and controllers well suited for the mission; ducting being effective and well designed for balanced performance; landing gear being stout, effective and light; battery compartments being designed to offer a variety of configurations; quality control being as good as possible considering the price point and rapid release.... the list continues but I'm out of breath. They have developed a nice line of models to say the least. No they are not perfect, but for those of us who have been around they have come far and done a lot to raise the bar in this class.

In short the, Freewing F-4 Phantom has been completely satisfying to own and fly. It's a great jet! The 6s format is adequately powered to loop from level flight, scale looking enough on the ramp to impress, balanced in fee in flight to not scare the average flyer (an accomplishment, having said this is an F-4 Phantom after all, and other F-4 RC jets earning the reputation of being a handful to fly).

Power Provisions (Mine is a stock 6S PNP version)

As stated, I'm flying the stock "PNP" format Motion RC sells presently. It's a 9blade, 90mm fan with an out runner motor. I'm flying mine with generally two separate types of packs. Type 1, the standard 6s, 5200mah class packs. Type 2, a newer generation of lighter weight 8000mah packs only weighing about 6 to 8 ounces more than the typical 5000mah class pack (920g or 32.4 ounces).

I flew several flights today on 5200 to 8000mah packs, 6s.

The 8000mah packs fly the plane with plenty of authority still and I am getting 5:30 and landing with plenty of reserve voltage, flying with tanks on. I have my timer set to gear up / down. Gear up starts the timer, gear down stops the timer. I set the timer to 5:00. By the time I'm on the ground I've actually been flying from takeoff run to post landing taxi for about 5:30 to 5:45.

The light weight 5200mah, 660g pack works with my second timer. I zero out the timers in position for the takeoff roll. As I advance power the timer starts. 2:45 seconds later it beeps and that's when I put the gear down and establish on downwind for landing. I'm all in at the taxi turn around at about 3:20 t 3:30.

If I want to fly super light I'll fly my light weight 660g, 35C 5200mah packs. If I want to haul the mail and bully around the place, the 8000mah packs are a lot of fun and the flight time is respectable. Both packs have their advantages and disadvantages and the plane flies noticeably different with the 260g difference in weight. It does not fly bad at all heavy, in flight it's nice. It does land amazingly sweet, nose high and slow with the light weight packs though.

Center of Gravity

I've tested the model at stock CG, 5mm aft of stock CG and 10mm aft of stock CG. The model flies very well at 5mm aft of stock CG. It also flies well at 8-9mm aft but with some caution required as the stabilizer needs to be limited at the more aft CG's.

Stock CG is 190mm aft of the leading edge tip. I'm flying on average at 198mm depending on the battery (big 8000mah pack flies at about 195mm).

Paint and Markings

I dressed her up in Col Olds' F-4 he flew during "Operation Bolo" in Southeast Asia, the well known "SCAT XXVIII". I read Col. Olds' memoirs his daughter published a few years ago, and it was an interesting read. I like the history behind the scale models I chose to bring into the fleet, so naturally this was a good fit for my F-4.

Resources for weathering:
http://www.migjimenez.com/en/module/...navy-f-14.html
And the attachment (PDF)
http://www.finescale.com/~/media/fil...weathering.pdf
Last edited by Eddie P; May 21, 2018 at 12:40 AM.
May 14, 2018, 09:16 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP

The Mig-21 Fishbed

The Freewing Jet that made me a believer.

There were a TON of waves being made in the EDF jet community with FW jets a few years back. I'd been into EDF since 2000 so I was not easily convinced, plus I had three FW jets before: The F-35 70mm jet; the 64mm Mig-15 and the FW F-9F Panther. Meh. The F-35 was all right, but it was the typical example of a foamie ARF EDF of the time. Lots of mods required, some excuses to be made. Just ok.

What WAS different now, was the The 90mm and then the 80mm sizes had my attention, I have to admit. They LOOKED great, and they seemed to fly really nice. Something really had changed, they actually were DESIGNED to fly and operate as a real model RC plane - with all the trappings of something you'd build yourself. The flight controls and equipment layout were getting better, the servos and linkages had come a long way and the landing gear was really nice (still a ways to go in some areas, but yeah they were not horrible and Rome was not built in a day anyhow). Trouble is I made a silly rule a few years back I was done with foamie ARF's for a while, and was concentrating on giant scale and turbines. Silly rule to make in this era of good EDF jets coming.

I had to admit, FW had made some really nice models now. I hovered over the order button so many times with the F-14. However, the short flight times of the T-45 and such had me second guessing. My 10s 90mm jets were getting 6 and 7 minutes flight time, 2:45 seemed crazy at the time. The first few 80mm size jets like the F-5 and the F-86 were too small IMHO. But then the next gen came out, the Mig-21 was the right size with a 80mm setup that could fly it well on 5000mah packs. I figured if Freewing and Motion could get the Mig-21 to fly like a dream they were truly on the ball. I took a chance and wow, they got me. This was the jet that brought me back into foamie EDF's with gusto. And yeah, it only flies for 3:45 on an average 5000mah 6s pack (more on longer flight time options later) - but who cares, it's so easy to set up with one pack and flies so nice, I was "in" all the way after the first flight.

6s Power

I'm flying this thing stock. It's got an outrunner 6s to power the 12 blade fan. Pretty decent flying performance. I did order a FMS 12 blade, 2000kv inrunner fan to test in this jet sometime soon - that is, unless I buy a FW A-4 first. Herb has done some very nice work in identifying the FMS fan as an excellent substitute, even a mild upgrade, for the Mig. It's a fair bit lighter and puts out a little better efficient thrust for an overall equal to or better powerplant at lighter weight. For now though, stock PNP flies this model great for me.

The Big Mig-21 RCG thread on the assembly and testing of this model is a great place to start for all sorts of information. If you want to visually browse this huge thread, look here for a visual attachment list. See something you like, click on it to go to the post.

Here is a fun tongue in cheek Russian Demo of the Mig's ability to fly Slooooooow with the nose way high up:
Freewing Mig-21 Quick Demo (3 min 29 sec)

On the colors and markings - my Mig has custom Romanian Air Force markings made up and sent to Callie for printing. I bought the silver Mig and painted to my taste with Testors enamels.
Last edited by Eddie P; May 24, 2018 at 02:15 AM.
May 14, 2018, 09:23 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP

A-10 Thunderbolt II (Actually Known as the Hog or the Warthog by pilots)

Here is a classic Motion RC and Freewing collaboration where some of the best practices in RC model aviation were brought into a mass produced scale foam multiengine jet. This project was one of the ones I really took notice of. While I wasn't an early buyer of the kit, as I had a lot of other things going on at the time. But... I am now fully into the process of outfitting one of these for my foamie EDF jet fleet. Here is the big build thread at RCG. And here is the "buy it now" page at Motion RC.

Upgrades I purchased for this kit include "straight oleo" struts for the main gear, as sold my Motion RC. My only criticism of this plane so far is the jet was released with a design flaw in the landing gear. It has non scale trailing link strut main gear that allow the model to "sit" low on the mains when compressed firmly on a less than perfect touchdown. This places the model in a tail-low stance if the main gear struts compress, and the model will jump back into the air at low speed and then set up for a series of porpoise bounces. Of course, the main gear will compress as designed, so it's a deal where the cure for stiff legs (suspension struts) is worse than the ailment of stiff legs (wire struts) in this configuration. The cure is to do one off mods to stiffen the struts, or purchase new scale looking (and better functioning) main struts that do not compress so much on landing. In all fairness, I think the designers may have made a move to satisfy the many grass flyers that became a vocal majority, wanting trailing link struts for grass operations. This setup probably works well for grass. But for pavement or dirt, no so much. So I went with the path of least resistance and also got a scale improvement on the new struts, to eliminate the bounce flaw. (one benefit of being a Johnny come lately in this project, all the bugs have been worked out).

Practicality Mods

-I'm replacing the nose tire with a main wheel tire from the Freewing 90mm F-16. It's slightly smaller than the nose gear on the stock A-10. The A-10 nose tire is slightly larger than scale, to help grass field operations I suppose. It sets the plane up for bounces though, if you land flat on pavement. So I'm doing this for looks and functionality.
-The main struts come as trailing link units. I've upgraded to the straight oleo struts. The TL struts have a bad reputation for bounces. I'll steer clear from the start and get a better looking set of legs while I'm at it.
-I've swapped out the soft metal hardware screws for some 4-40 socket head cap screws. Since we are using screws for the nacelles, the tail stabilizers, etc - this is a really nice practical upgrade. I tapped the plastic receiving mounts for 4-40. I credit Bob Reynolds in the thread for recommending this. It's an easy, nice upgrade. I could actually dis-assemble this plane and re-assemble it at the field if I had to, this way. I'd never consider messing with the stock screw sets for fear of stripping out the butter soft hardware heads otherwise.

Visual Scale Mods

I gathered some nice really one-off scale stuff for my project as well. To begin with, a guy here at RCG going by the handle "DirtyDee" has made up some very nice 3D part files you can print out on your own 3D printer. The short list of his design mods I am using are:
-Scale and improved thrust angle exhaust pipes
-Cockpit Kit (seat, frames, details, instrument panel, glare shield, etc)
-Fuselage gun vent and avionics cooling vents

I will be custom painting mine in a camo paint scheme. More to come shortly. Here is a post by DD showing how he pre-shaded his A-10 before painting. I do the same technique on custom paint scheme. My Mig-21 was painted this way. On my F-4 Phantom, the paint was already the way I wanted in in basic format out of the box - so I did a "panel shade and fade" technique where I bring in some mixed basic color with white wash and air brush the center panel areas to highlight the weathering effect and slightly darker panel line areas. I also use chalk weathering on the panel lines. The desire is to add "depth" to the surface of the model.

More to come on control settings, CG, etc
Last edited by Eddie P; May 22, 2018 at 12:36 AM.
May 15, 2018, 08:39 AM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP

Freewing's 80mm version of the "Sebart Avanti"

Classic Sport jet made for the masses! The Freewing 80mm version of Sebart's amazing Avanti is the perfect size and performance for me in this class of EDF. Yes it could be faster, bigger and with a turbine. All those versions exist. But this one is a joy to own and fly, is relatively cheap for what you get and works on my "commodity" Rc airplane packs.

No Mods Required What So Ever

To thoroughly enjoy this plane, there are no mods required. But, since I cannot leave well enough alone and since half the fun is experimenting with these models, so...

...Me being me, these are the mods I did anyway

-I'm flying this Avanti about 15mm aft of the stock CG setting and it's neutrally positive and perfect for aerobatics (my preferred feel at least). I've been told if you place the CG aft enough so that the Avanti sits on it's tail just barely when the tail is pushed down it is about as aft as you wanna go. On first thought it seems a dodgy way to set CG but since I've done it myself after working up to it, I can confirm this works
-I swapped the nose tire out for a smaller one to aid in the model's ability to land slightly flat in winds and not bounce back into the air. This is a cheap and easy mod. Works awesome, highly recommended. Stock stance may lead to kangaroo bouncing as the nose tire is too large and the nose sits too high up.
-Dental floss string tie off to the nose gear door spring, so the spring does not flop down out of position on gear extension or if I hit a bump on takeoff roll.
-Wheel caps on the main gear a-la PC-21 style. Looks better than the spoked wheels IMHO.
-Spanish roundels and markings after an old 1960's Spanish aerobatic team that flew F-86's for cool factor (Vamanos!)
-Cockpit - used card stock for glare shields to cover the foam (no gator), spare pink foam where required (instrument panel for back seat was re modeled), printed photos on card stock for instruments and switches, paint and a Jet Hangar Hobbies 1/8 scale F-86 pilot (trimmed to fit).
-I also added a "Vee" duct mod to transition the air better into the fan face. Not required, but done for experimentation. I like the results.
-Made an exhaust cap to make the blunt edge of the exhaust area more "airplane" like with a sharp edge. Experimentation reveals it has added a slight amount of drag IMHO due to opening up the exhaust area a little in the aft end. I'll make a 3D designed part that keeps the inner exhaust area the same and tapers the outer edge down to transition the exhaust into the ambient airflow better on V2 of this mod.
-I'm using larger, 920g, 8000mah 6s packs in the plane for duration, power routines and formation flights. I can get 8 minute flights with this pack and I'm only a few ounces heavier. I still prefer the light weight 660g, 5200mah 6s packs for lighter aerobatics.
Last edited by Eddie P; May 24, 2018 at 11:44 AM.
May 21, 2018, 12:24 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Great stuff Eddie! I get my Phantom tomorrow, I am stoked. I too bought the 6S version. How does the 9-blade sound? Adequate? I was so close in ordering the 8S 12-blade version (I heart the WOOSH) but was told the 9-blade is the best combo of performance/efficiency and sound.

Love the A-10. I had a "Bucking Bronco" landing on pavement that shocked me. I flew from grass after I repaired and replaced the nose gear and it was a piece of cake. Those struts were definitely made for the grass flyer audience.
May 22, 2018, 12:28 AM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP
You're gonna love the Phantom. The 6s, 9 blade fan sounds just great IMHO. This fan, with the ducting of the model and the wing... they all really cruise well at 50 percent power. I think the airframe looks and sounds help the impression too. Honestly, I can't believe it's just 6s. This thing hauls the mail when flown the way it likes in an energy conservation smooth manner. Keep her on step, fly her smooth, and the stability of the airframe is just fantastic. Pile on the thrust, allow the jet to accelerate and pull smoothly and she'll go vertical with plenty of confidence. I'm a vertical guy, it's important to me for my planes to cooperate in that way. The Phantom does. Linear, smooth, powerful and with precision. She's no flutterbug. She's a Phantom
May 22, 2018, 04:02 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
So glad to hear the sound is decent. That was one of my biggest concerns. Cruises well at 50 percent power? Can you imagine saying that statement about a foam F4 just ten years ago?? LOL!!

I had the FMS Blue Angel F4 years ago because I love Phantoms but it was every bit as advertised aka a Flying Brick, lol.

I am SO looking forward to our Phantom. Size, scale fidelity and performance.
May 22, 2018, 08:29 AM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP
Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with partial power performance on this F-4 Phantom. 50 percent allows very nice scale "subsonic pattern" passes to extend flight time on smaller packs. I must admit, flying the 8000 packs, I do scale passes like that but I'm also hammering throttle a lot and doing a whole lot of very large sweeping vertical moves too.

My fan came perfectly balanced, no clocking of the spinner required. She sounds really great on a full throttle pass as well (especially followed with eye candy of a big fat, slow pull to a immelmen, several hundred feet up above finishing inverted and pushing for a few seconds before rolling upright). I have not maidened my A-10, it's a stock PNP, I am wondering if the sound will be the same, this one seems a bit lower pitch (90 vs 80 perhaps).
May 22, 2018, 09:39 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
I've never owned anything higher than 5500 mAh. I need to get out of the house more. LOL

The A-10 has a very distinctive dual whine to it. Very cool but different.

She arrives today! I am stoked. Weather is great here this week so the maiden could be as soon as this evening. Yeeeeehaaaaaw!
Jun 06, 2018, 09:58 AM
Hey Eddie,

How's your Sebart PC-21XL doing. Ares you still flying it?
I'm working on my one again after taking a looong break. Hope to maiden it next month.

Cheers
Stan
PS I acquired a FMS A-10 and love it. Did have to do the thrust mod to tilt the exhaust nozzle slightly upwards (as per the FMS A-10 build thread on RCG)
Jun 06, 2018, 10:31 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
LOVE my Phantom! Total homerun model. Love the lighter wing load, gentle characteristics...I really don't have any negatives to say. Flat out awesome!
Jun 17, 2018, 11:15 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanh2
Hey Eddie,

How's your Sebart PC-21XL doing. Ares you still flying it?
I'm working on my one again after taking a looong break. Hope to maiden it next month.

Cheers
Stan
PS I acquired a FMS A-10 and love it. Did have to do the thrust mod to tilt the exhaust nozzle slightly upwards (as per the FMS A-10 build thread on RCG)
Good Day Stan! Good news is I have all the parts and components to the PC-21 and everything is in good shape. Bad news is I drove the model through several sage brush plants and the airframe was shredded to ribbons.

It happened after a very successful routine flying my typical 10,400mah setup where I could fly for 8 minutes. I flew a fun 7 minute routine and was feeling pretty cocky. The winds were starting to gust and there were some thermals and downdrafts. I made a slow rolling low altitude pass and was in the middle of a right hand 90 and left hand 270 reversal with some rolling inverted maneuvers in between. This maneuvering masked the downdraft I found myself in. I did not give it enough credit until the last moment. When I realized I was descending rapidly even in a nose up attitude and with power I knew something wasn;t right. I was in a pretty big down draft. I went wings level, pulled and brought the power up to 70 percent. That's just a correction though, not a wind shear recovery. What I REALLY needed to do was go for a full power, pull nose up and accomplish a real wind shear recovery. I was in wind shear, but never got aggressive enough. When I realized it was too late I brought the nose up and pegged the throttle but at this point the sage brush and the low tail met, the sage brush tugged on the tail enough to keep her down in the brush. So... power idle, full back stick to try to make it less painful. Well, there was no making it less painful, she was shredded to bits. It looked like a real accident scene except no fire. All the batteries, components, landing gear, even motor made it just fine. I still have 38 percent left in the packs, and they were balanced. The post accident ESC logs were perfectly fine, my assumptions on commanded power were accurate compared to the logs. I was flying my sport prop that day so my 5 blade prop and scale spinner were saved. The 2 blade prop, 2 blade carbon fiber spinner and my beautiful PC-21 airframe were made into shrapnel though. I think that's the worst crash I've had since age 8 and my first model airplane activity back in 1980 or so! I've been wanting to buy another kit and do it again but I've been so busy I have curbed my enthusiasm enough to make sure that's what I want to do again. Maybe I'll make a choice on what direction to go, soon.
Jun 21, 2018, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Good Day Stan! Good news is I have all the parts and components to the PC-21 and everything is in good shape. Bad news is I drove the model through several sage brush plants and the airframe was shredded to ribbons.

It happened after a very successful routine flying my typical 10,400mah setup where I could fly for 8 minutes. I flew a fun 7 minute routine and was feeling pretty cocky. The winds were starting to gust and there were some thermals and downdrafts. I made a slow rolling low altitude pass and was in the middle of a right hand 90 and left hand 270 reversal with some rolling inverted maneuvers in between. This maneuvering masked the downdraft I found myself in. I did not give it enough credit until the last moment. When I realized I was descending rapidly even in a nose up attitude and with power I knew something wasn;t right. I was in a pretty big down draft. I went wings level, pulled and brought the power up to 70 percent. That's just a correction though, not a wind shear recovery. What I REALLY needed to do was go for a full power, pull nose up and accomplish a real wind shear recovery. I was in wind shear, but never got aggressive enough. When I realized it was too late I brought the nose up and pegged the throttle but at this point the sage brush and the low tail met, the sage brush tugged on the tail enough to keep her down in the brush. So... power idle, full back stick to try to make it less painful. Well, there was no making it less painful, she was shredded to bits. It looked like a real accident scene except no fire. All the batteries, components, landing gear, even motor made it just fine. I still have 38 percent left in the packs, and they were balanced. The post accident ESC logs were perfectly fine, my assumptions on commanded power were accurate compared to the logs. I was flying my sport prop that day so my 5 blade prop and scale spinner were saved. The 2 blade prop, 2 blade carbon fiber spinner and my beautiful PC-21 airframe were made into shrapnel though. I think that's the worst crash I've had since age 8 and my first model airplane activity back in 1980 or so! I've been wanting to buy another kit and do it again but I've been so busy I have curbed my enthusiasm enough to make sure that's what I want to do again. Maybe I'll make a choice on what direction to go, soon.
Ouch Eddie,
I'm so sad to hear about your mishap. You put so much effort into that plane and took all of us along for the experience, giving us some great tips and insight into this plane as we enjoyed the ride with you. I bestow on you a wish for another PC-21, how about a turbine powered version bigger than the Sebart build.
kind regards
Stan
Jun 22, 2018, 04:48 PM
Official Boat Bum
Thread OP
I've thought about the turbine Skymaster one myself!

Thanks for the kind words. In all my turbine flying days I've never lost or even really damaged a turbine powered jet. Close calls, yes. But I've gone a long while tempting fate with some pretty nice models over the years. I suppose at some point, it was bound to happen to a nice model!

Looking back there have been several models I've had mishaps with and learned from. The first one I remember that was not the result of just trying to learn to fly was when I started slamming the sticks around too aggressively with my House of Balsa P-47 with a large .15 sized glow engine in it. I "accelerate stalled" her and totaled the model, that was in 1983 and I was 11 years old. I learned to fly more disciplined and learn proper aerobatics and to not pull so hard while rolling from that crash. I flew my Top Flite Antaries until my receiver battery was depleted in 1987 at the slope, and totaled the aircraft (took months of daily building to make and was about 2 years old when it happened, not good!). I learned to consider how much receiver battery I had left and be more careful about my radio requirements after that crash. I crashed my electric Zagi in 1999 when I touched both winglets to the grass and dug in, on a low inverted pass. This caused a lot more damage than I thought it would. One afternoon of repair and she was back flying though. I had a midair that nearly destroyed my F9F Bearcat when passing through a slow flyer in 2000. That caused me to put as much time into re building that model as I put into building it to begin with because I was stubborn and the fact that it only had three flights on it when the midair happened. I learned the importance of checking down field for slow, nearly silent flyers from that crash. I caught my rudder in the grass on a low inverted pass a few years later on my Eflite T-34 Mentor and that caused an inverted landing that also caused a lot more damage than you'd think it should. A week worth of re fitting, gluing and a new paint job led to another three years of fun flying on that model. Lesson learned, inverted landings are really hard on models and you can only tie for first place on lowest inverted fly bys. That was my second tie for first place and hopefully my last. I crashed my scratch build Convair 580 when a dust devil came over the field and parked after being nearly out of battery. It grabbed my airplane and thew it into the ground violently when I tried to sneak in on my last electron. I learned to watch out for dust devils after that crash and that scratch build scale planes no matter how cool they are can be subject to whims of the wind. The model was totaled. I crashed my scratch built P-3 Orion after taking off with the wrong model in the transmitter memory. My ailerons and elevator were reversed. It was a hand launch model, once in the air I was committed. I was able to fly out, make it around the pattern twice up high and then try an approach. My brain tumbled at the last minute and I landed very hard and broke the fuselage and wing but the repair was very easy, actually. I learned to always do a control check and verify correct control movement, not just movement, every single flight. And now this PC-21. What did I learn? Well, sometimes, stuff just happens when you are down low and get over confident and complacent. And also, if you want stuff to not ever happen, don't fly! No, but really, it did remind me how quickly things can go awry. I have a renewed effort to identify hazard parts of a flight routine. Anytime the model is pointed at the pitts or a safety sensitive area I am always looking for an emergency out or option to avoid anything surprising (like windshear or mechanical fault) from resulting in an airplane ditching close to people. After losing my PC-21 I again realized how lucky I was to have had a problem far away from anyone else - I just lost a plane, I didn't hurt anyone so at least there is that!

Quick Reply