May 14, 2018, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this cancellation. I only hope anyone who decides to venture into the area will use good judgement to avoid situations they may regret. Things can get very bad very quickly!
Last edited by Balsa Butcher; May 14, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2018, 02:51 PM
The spring Joe Nall is cancelled. The Fall Nall is a new event replacing the Electric only eWeek. So each year there will be 2 Joe Nall events (spring and fall). At least that is what I heard from people that are there.

They had banners up for Fall Nall before the Joe Nall spring event started.
May 14, 2018, 03:36 PM
RC Addict
What a shame. I feel especially bad for all the volunteers. I wasn't going to be able to make it but wow, what bad news.
May 14, 2018, 03:36 PM
Asheville is worth the trip if you can make it. I live near there and the food and outdoors are top notch.
May 14, 2018, 03:39 PM
While in the area, you can visit the Westgate Mall in Spartanburg and the Haywood Mall in Greenville as they are some pretty decent malls for the area.

And if you do go to either then ya have to poke in and say 'Hey' to the Manager at Torrid in Spartanburg / Westgate Mall where my daughter is the General Manager, and then also stop by the Altar'd State store in Greenville / Haywood Mall where my wife is the General Manager, also be sure to let them know you were here for JoeNall, They both have been going to JoeNall almost every year for about 15 years now, some of you may recognize them. My daughter was the official JoeNall pledge girl for a few years, Biff/ Bob Sadler would call her up to the main flight line every morning to say the daily pledge of allegiance.
Last edited by mr.pickle; May 14, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
May 14, 2018, 05:08 PM
We rolled up after driving 16 hours from NY and...

HK
May 14, 2018, 05:17 PM
Augermeister
So many preparations. All the food. Travel plans from all over the world. Vendor commitments, vacation schedules, hotel bookings, etc. A disaster of nightmarish proportion.
May 14, 2018, 05:32 PM
I don't know the track record of the weather people in SC, but here in PA our weather people couldn't predict a hurricane if they were standing in the middle of it. They are wrong more times than not.

I understand the concern for safety, but to completely cancel and event of this size is as you said a disaster of nightmarish proportion.

I feel sorry for people who have made plans to be there from places that just can't make an adjustment on a moments notice.
May 14, 2018, 05:33 PM
28 yrs. Of Aircraft flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing_CS
We rolled up after driving 16 hours from NY and...

HK
Oh wow... That really stinks.
May 14, 2018, 05:41 PM
Admin Deluxe
I heard that Mr. Pat was talking to some high level weather experts before the decision was made. Here is what the problem will be...
https://www.vox.com/2018/5/14/173532...n-dc-rain-wind
May 14, 2018, 05:49 PM
Augermeister
With such a big crowd, safety must weigh in heavily. Can't imagine anything worse than to continue on with the event and people getting hurt or worse with what they are predicting.
May 14, 2018, 06:42 PM
tic
tic
Just 45 min. away from Joe Nall is the infamous Chattooga river where deliverance was filmed. The name of the town is Long Creek SC.. There are three commercial outfitters that run whitewater raft traps daily. You can do the standard section 3 trip with class 3 rapids or go for it and sign up for section 4 with class five rapids.. The names of the outfitters are "wildwater LTD". "southeastern expeditions" and "Nantahala outdoor center".... with all the rain the river will be way up guaranteeing an exciting ride.. If you hear banjos, RUN.
May 14, 2018, 06:46 PM
Gnd warning sensor needed
Praise to Mr. Pat, he made the hard decision. Even if the really bad rain misses he put the safety of the participates ahead of them making money. I am sure they are loosing, there has to be so much preparation leading up to this event with so much of the Triple Tree staff involved that they are suffering as much or more then everyone else. Mr. Pat thank you for thinking about others before yourself. This is a big disappointment for all of us, but will be there in the future for more fantastic flying at such a beautiful venue.
May 14, 2018, 06:56 PM
So, does this mean the $80 I paid will be honored in the "Fall Nall"? I sent my $$ last year for one day, it rained and I didn't attend.....same the year before. Pretty disappointed.
Last edited by circletree; May 14, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
May 14, 2018, 07:00 PM
Augermeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Just 45 min. away from Joe Nall is the infamous Chattooga river where deliverance was filmed. The name of the town is Long Creek SC.. There are three commercial outfitters that run whitewater raft traps daily. You can do the standard section 3 trip with class 3 rapids or go for it and sign up for section 4 with class five rapids.. The names of the outfitters are "wildwater LTD". "southeastern expeditions" and "Nantahala outdoor center".... with all the rain the river will be way up guaranteeing an exciting ride.. If you hear banjos, RUN.
Ooo wee!

Quick Reply