Joe Nall 2018 Cancelled! UNPRECEDENTED RAIN FORECAST

Joe Nall 2018 has been canceled after much consideration about the weather and possible flooding.

Splash

Bad Nall News!

I was literally loading the last ice chest into the truck when Mean Joe Vermillion rang me up to say Joe Nall had been canceled! I spoke to the folks at Triple Tree and Mr. Pat has been talking to some high-level weather contacts. The word is a slow moving storm system is moving into the area and is just going to lay on top of Triple Tree for multiple days.

I was there when they had to evacuate the 3D line a few years ago and that is not something anyone wants to go through again. Couple that with potential flooding and you get the reasons behind the cancelation.

The Triple Tree crew is heartbroken that they have to make the call but everyone has to be out of the area by noon 5/15/.

Triple Tree Announcement

UNPRECEDENTED RAIN FORECAST FORCES CANCELLATION OF LAST DAYS OF JOE NALL

After more than three decades of spectacular weather during the world-famous Joe Nall RC event, the forecast for the remainder of the week has forced the board to make the decision to cancel the event and have everyone off the beautiful Triple Tree grounds not later than noon, Tuesday, May 15. This is a very difficult decision and one that was taken only after carefully considering our guest's safety. As many of you are aware, Triple Tree is over four hundred acres of beautifully manicured grass that can easily handle single, short-lived rainstorms, however, rain totals of 4-6 inches are forecast beginning Tuesday afternoon. The rain is not expected to end until sometime after the following Monday. With this amount of water, the camping areas and roads will quickly become impassible. Sudden, heavy rain events could also cause localized flooding in the river area.

As a group, Mr. Pat and the dedicated Triple Tree volunteers work their hearts out to give you, our guests, the very best aviation experience. This cancellation could significantly impact our financial health unless our friends decide to donate their fees from this year's Nall. If you can help us by doing so, please do. Triple Tree is a 501c(3) non-profit so your donation could be tax deductible. Many have already done so, and we greatly appreciate it. As you know, we invest every cent back into Triple Tree. We are always trying to make your experience better and more enjoyable. The new ladies bathhouse and pilot's lounge is just the latest example.

Thanks again for your understanding. It's a tough decision but the safety of our guests will always come first!

Fall Nall

All is not lost with the new announcement about the Fall Nall in September. I'll have a full feature story on that next.

May 14, 2018, 12:35 PM
Yes Fall Nall.. we look to that now.. weather is always the bane of a good time outside.
May 14, 2018, 01:03 PM
A man without a plan
Anyone else wondering what they are going to do with all the food?
May 14, 2018, 01:11 PM
Anyone know the dates for the Fall Nall? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
May 14, 2018, 01:12 PM
I was at the 3-D evacuate, and flooding is nothing to take a change on, sad
May 14, 2018, 01:17 PM
Landing is not optional
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedWing172
Anyone know the dates for the Fall Nall? Can't seem to find them anywhere.
Here you go!
May 14, 2018, 01:57 PM
Wow, what a blow to the community. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make, but DANG this is going to bum out a lot of people.
May 14, 2018, 02:18 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesonC
Here you go!
does that replace "e-week"?
May 14, 2018, 02:20 PM
Bummer. My wife and I were excited to come (all the way from Seattle). I guess it is too late to cancel flights, hotels, etc, so Plan B: a very wet and soggy vacation visiting all the cool small towns and explore the smokey mountains through the windshield.

Thanks to all the Joe Nall organizers, I'm sure it is quite a bummer for all involved. Looking forward to attending this in the future (it is on my bucket list).
May 14, 2018, 02:48 PM
Check out Asheville, NC while you're here. It about 1 1/2 hrs from Greenville. The Biltmore House is something to be seen. Also you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway there and go up to Mt. Pisgah and eat at the Inn. If you like craft beer, Asheville is packed with breweries. Sierra Nevada is located right off of I-26 at exit 40. Great food. Plenty to do in the Upstate of SC and mountains of NC.
Last edited by wrp7317; May 14, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
May 14, 2018, 02:49 PM
And You're Not
I guess this means Jim T. won't make it to Nashville.
Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
May 14, 2018, 02:54 PM
Admin Deluxe
Auger is that you?
May 14, 2018, 03:13 PM
And You're Not
Yeah, I won't be either place. Bummer about the weather - we have only had an inch of rain in the last 8 months or so.
Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
May 14, 2018, 03:29 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Well this is certainly sad news for the area, not just for the Triple Tree. Many, many businesses rely on that income in these parts. There is more than enough to do for those stranded in the area.

I hope that you all that do decide to weather the storm as it were, give downtown Greenville a good visit. Most things are certainly in a couple of blocks walking and Greenville is a very nice vacation spot and can handle just about any crowd size....it might be a bit damp on your visit, but I think you all will enjoy your stay, had you do so https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/

Other areas of note are the Clemson area, and as was mentioned Ashville, NC has plenty of nightlife and such as well.

I know some pretty nice places that I visit now and then and can hook you up with good food, bar scene and good bands and local hangouts that would welcome the extra flow
May 14, 2018, 03:30 PM
aka Ranger Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp7317
Check out Ashville, NC while you're here. It about 1 1/2 hrs from Greenville. The Biltmore House is something to be seen. Also you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway there and go up to Mt. Pisgah and eat at the Inn. If you like craft beer, Ashville is packed with breweries. Sierra Nevada is located right off of I-26 at exit 40. Great food. Plenty to do in the Upstate of SC and mountains of NC.
If you get to the Gatlinburg area of the Smoky Mountain National Park give me a shout. I'll give you a tour of our Communications Center and show you some cool stuff in and around the park.

Quick Reply