Jun 16, 2018, 09:29 AM
Banned in Britain
Top flight was part of horizons purchase and will continue.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...EO-Joe-Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggun84
Fwiw, I emailed Topflight a few weeks ago about getting a set of plans and recieved the same response as the OP. They said they hadn't purchased Topflite and had no access to any topflite inventory.

If bad info is being spread, horizon Hobby is the source. I will see if I can find the email to copy/paste the reponse.

Edit: found it quicky. This was the response I got from HH when requesting the roll plans and manual for a TopFlite P51 kit I was given. My original email was sent to TF support and replied to by HH support.

"Unfortunately Top Flite was part of the Bankruptcy of Hobbico, but it wasnít included in our purchase of them. Top Flite is no longer in business and we arenít able to access their parts or plans. Please feel free to check back in a few weeks to see if anything has changed.

Thank you,

Alisha G.
Technician-Product Support"

Edit to add again: I recieved this email May 15, 2018.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2018, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt SAA

That's very good.

I was only pointing out that the bad info wasn't due to people repeating rumors, they came from seemingly misinformed HH support staff.

Now, I need to resend some emails requesting roll plans and a manual.
Jun 16, 2018, 10:06 AM
Send lawyers, guns and money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt SAA

Note: the interview says the Top Flite 'brand' will continue. Not the full lineup of recentTop Flite products. I (sadly) suspect you will be more likely to find a TF P40E kit in the RCG ads than on the Tower/Horizon web site....
Jun 20, 2018, 05:52 PM
I was trying to order a couple parts for my TF corsair and received the same email stating that TF wad not part of the purchase. I also saw the HH logo on the TF page and came across this post. I decide to call HH and they repeated that TF and Great Planes were not part of the purchase. HOWEVER, they said that they are "trying to work something out" and while they are not currently authorized to sell any of the TF stock, that should change and to check back in a couple of weeks.

-B
Jun 21, 2018, 12:10 AM
Straight from Horizonís CEO.
Jun 21, 2018, 06:35 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Folks just need to be more patient,, this whole thing is less than a year old,, it may take a few years for it all to settle out. Co.s formally sold on Tower will have to renegotiate contracts with Horizon,, or choose just sell direct via Amazon or Directly online themselves like many do already,,

If a product is in demand,, it will be made available one way or another.

Only a little piece of the sky has fallen
Jun 21, 2018, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
Straight from Horizon’s CEO.
Why don't you email and call HH yourself? You will get the same response. Regardless of what you keep repeating from the CEO, the current HH response is that they cannot currently sell any TF inventory. It seems to me that while they may own the name, they either don't own any of the existing TF inventory or have no way of distributing it. However, like I said, the email and the rep on the phone said to check back later.

Also, I don't trust what CEOs say in these situations. I've heard far too many of these guys make promises only to flip flop later. I won't believe it until I see it... and hopefully "it" won't be made of foam.

-B
Last edited by BZip; Jun 21, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Jun 21, 2018, 10:19 AM
Something else to consuder.. just because they bought "top flite". Doesn't mean they bought any of the vendors or factories that supplied stuff for top flight.. all those deals will need to be renegotiated. Many of these companies are probably owed money and likely want to get paid before they continue to provide products.. since horizon didnt buy hobbicos debt. It could take a long time to hash out.
Jun 21, 2018, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZip
Why don't you email and call HH yourself? You will get the same response. Regardless of what you keep repeating from the CEO, the current HH response is that they cannot currently sell any TF inventory. It seems to me that while they may own the name, they either don't own any of the existing TF inventory or have no way of distributing it. However, like I said, the email and the rep on the phone said to check back later.

Also, I don't trust what CEOs say in these situations. I've heard far too many of these guys make promises only to flip flop later. I won't believe it until I see it... and hopefully "it" won't be made of foam.

-B
Understand about not trusting CEO's, but at the same time everyone needs some patience. Sure everything will be worked out.
Jun 21, 2018, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Folks just need to be more patient,, this whole thing is less than a year old,, it may take a few years for it all to settle out. Co.s formally sold on Tower will have to renegotiate contracts with Horizon,, or choose just sell direct via Amazon or Directly online themselves like many do already,,

If a product is in demand,, it will be made available one way or another.

Only a little piece of the sky has fallen
Agreed 100%.
Jun 21, 2018, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
Understand about not trusting CEO's, but at the same time everyone needs some patience. Sure everything will be worked out.

The problem is that the CEO says one thing and EVERY HH rep on the phone or email says another.

It's no surprise that this is earning itself some distrust and confusion.
Jun 21, 2018, 06:48 PM
Shoot, that's nothing,, it's been years and the folks working at USPS don't know if Lipos can be shipped or not,,,, when their rules clearly say they can
Jun 21, 2018, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Shoot, that's nothing,, it's been years and the folks working at USPS don't know if Lipos can be shipped or not,,,, when their rules clearly say they can
So true!
Jun 22, 2018, 10:57 AM
-insert witty saying here-
I asked the question directly of Andy Kunz, a HH Spektrum brand engineer. His reply is quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
A few days before the auction closed we had an all-hands meeting to officially tell us we had bid. (Most of us already knew anyway). It ended with a Q&A.

I asked if we were going to keep the kits going. They answered no.

Immediately after the meeting I e-mailed to ask about the rights to the kits, as I was interested in this (with my father and two brothers).

I still haven't gotten an answer, or even a confirmation that they read my e-mail.

That silence either means "no way in he!!" or "we're already working a deal with somebody else." I'm hoping it's the latter.

Andy
HH owns the designs and the rights to the Top Flite kit & ARF line, but DID NOT purchase the facility where the kits were made, nor the production equipment or tooling to manufacture those kits. I take away two things from that - they wanted the TF name as it is a household name among R/Cers and they had no interest in producing the kits themselves. The kit designs could be leveraged for future overseas ARF production or potentially sold or licensed to a kit manufacturer.

Andy Kunz is interested in the designs to produce kits. Carolina Custom Kits / Hobby Express has said they'd be interested in producing the kits on a custom order basis. I wouldn't mind if Sig picked them up either.

Let's not forget that there is/was a treasure trove of kit designs lost to the Hobbico empire. Dynaflite (Bob Martin, Marks Models, Jemco) Carl Goldberg, Pica etc. Many of those designs could be re-introduced on a make to order basis with modern laser cutting at minimal cost.
Jun 22, 2018, 01:39 PM
Or they will be made/cut/packed in China and the TF name will become garbage, just another run of the mill kit that will have an equal chance of coming with warped heavy balsa that is nearly unusable or only moderately crap balsa.

Hopefully someone like Sig will take over and add to their lineup.

Quick Reply