May 13, 2018, 01:36 PM
Citizen#019
Cool

Transmitter Windicator

Hey guys, I posted this in the general sailplane talk forum a couple of weeks ago and wanted to post here as well in case it wasnít seen. I was looking for a good way to attach a steamer to my transmitter to help in reading the wind. I didnít find quite what I was looking for, so designed my own. Those of you with access to a 3D printer can pull the design down from thingiverse and print it. I additionally have clips in the project on thingiverse to hold the wand on the outside of a transmitter case for transportation. It fits my needs perfectly, and Iím sharing since you guys might find it useful:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2854654
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2018, 01:54 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
That idea & basic design has been around awhile from MM Glider Tech

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=34
May 13, 2018, 02:29 PM
Citizen#019

Transmitter Windicator

I agree it is nothing new, but Iím putting out the stl files for anyone that wants them. I found a couple of 3D printed designs, but they were for specific transmitters.. so I came up with my own and figured Iíd give them to the community.
Last edited by cyclenut; May 13, 2018 at 02:41 PM.
May 13, 2018, 03:56 PM
plays with toy planes
Thank you!
May 13, 2018, 09:53 PM
New at this whole life thing
Us old fellows used to use one called a telescoping antenna... ;-)
May 13, 2018, 10:02 PM
Citizen#019
Iíll have to admit I started in rc as 72mhz was being supplanted by 2.4ghz... although only shortly after
May 14, 2018, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
That idea & basic design has been around awhile from MM Glider Tech

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=34
Flightcomp sells them here for ~ $10 --> https://flightcomp.com/collections/2...mline-mount-18
May 14, 2018, 06:18 PM
Citizen#019
Cool. In my case, I had the driveway marker, and a 3D printer, so I could whip one up for around 10 cents... and anyone else with a 3D printer can do the same. Iím not trying to cut into anyoneís business and Iím not looking to sell these. I just thought I could give back to the community. Just wondering ....If I posted a recipe for Mac and cheese would you guys put up links to kraft Mac and cheese ?
May 14, 2018, 06:30 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Methinks it is OK to one -off something someone else makes, as long as they are not sold.
If you designed it, then it is up to someone else to say - "You copied mine"!

My original post was just to say that a similar design has been around for quite a while, and a thorough search would have found it.
BP
May 14, 2018, 07:23 PM
Citizen#019

Transmitter Windicator

I had seen that one back when I first got into sailplanes but had completely forgotten it. I was coming at it from a completely different angle. I had a wand, Mylar for a streamer, heat set threaded inserts and 3mm screws.. and the design software to put them all together to make what I wanted. I agree it serves a similar purpose, but I did take it a step further in designing the clips to clip the want to the outside of a transmitter case. Iím not trying to sell it to compete with the other design, and I figured if it worked for me it might for others. - okay done gripeing.. I have kids to put to bed.
Last edited by cyclenut; May 14, 2018 at 07:37 PM.
May 14, 2018, 07:40 PM
Love it!. Thx for posting it.
Latest blog entry: Snipe
May 15, 2018, 10:47 AM
JimN8UAY
Good stuff, cycle...already got a couple printed. Thanks for the efforts!

JC
Latest blog entry: Speaker mod for the Taranis.
May 15, 2018, 01:36 PM
Citizen#019
thanks guys, I am glad some of you are finding it useful.
May 22, 2018, 01:44 AM
I'm using the spar and end stops from a cheap department store kite and cassette tape for the streamer. Double sided tape works well ( poster tape)

Quick Reply