Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2018, 04:05 AM
Discussion

best 3 radios numbered 3-1

Hi guys,

here is the the question that many people (including myself) always wanted to know the answer for it!

if you been asked to give 3 best of the best radios $$ not matter, what you think these 3 radios are??? from #3 ? -#2? -#1?

and why??? and what you use in your hobby?

I am going to post the same thread to the Helicopters guys and comparing the opinions if there is any!

thank you
Oz
Last edited by omar450; May 13, 2018 at 04:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2018, 07:49 AM
Flame bate? (LOL)

Anyway ... My opinion:

#3 - DX8 for lack of something else to put here. Almost as good as the DX9, but not as comfortable in your hands. Good software and good price point.

#2 - DX9. Very good feel in the hands, good quality, good software, good features. Throttle can sometimes be sticky without modding the strap on the gimbal.

#1 - iX12. Same case as the DX9, so same great feel in the hands. Gimbals that feel just as good but which can be adjusted without opening the case. Throttle is smooth and doesn't stick without modding. Better user interface. Text-to-speech lets it say anything just by typing in what you want it to say. Somewhat fewer features than the DX9 at present, but software updates are working on filling in the gaps pretty quickly. Volume isn't loud enough for some people though. (I find it fine. Those who don't are able to fix it by just using a bluetooth speaker.)

I use an iX12 and fly planes about 80% of the time, and racing quads the other 20%. I've also used FlySky, Futaba, and Devo radios. I've NOT tried Taranis (the other major brand with lots of support).
May 13, 2018, 11:01 AM
Scratch Builder
Personally, i have only used the DX5e from Spektrum, and it served me well for my beginner years, but imo,

3. DX6e easy to use, computerized, reliable, but more expensive.

2. Taranis X9 open TX gives infinite options to the user, but reletively expensive

1. Frsky Taranis Q X7- same openTX system and overall function as X9, but at half the price. This is what I use now, and it is by far the best bang for your buck. 10/10 would suggest, even recievers are about half the cost of that of Spektrum. Did i mention it comes with up to 32 channels, module port, as well as infinite model memory with sd card slot? Get a taranis, you wont regret.
May 13, 2018, 11:17 AM
My impression is that your best bet is a Spectrum brand system . I have been using an original Hitec Aurora 9 and Optima receivers which are very versatile but I like the user friendliness of Spectrum user manuals, "model match" feature, and compatibility with PNP models and clone receivers. Spectrum RC systems are so common that you can get help with settings and troubleshooting from users at most flying fields. Spectrum support is quick and liberal under warranty period and after it runs out. 9 channels should be enough for forseeable needs.
May 13, 2018, 11:34 AM
AMA 7224
Subjective topic at best. Many things go into what you like about a radio.

3: Hitec- I like the smaller TX case and it's had feel
2: Kraft- Great radios from the old days
1; Pro Line- Best radios of the old days. 72 MHz AM still works
Latest blog entry: Phoenix Models 90" J-3
May 13, 2018, 11:51 AM
Best radio is whatever works for you.

My main TX is a Tactic TTX850.
Probably not even close to #1 for most, but it is for me.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
May 13, 2018, 12:21 PM
No body with Jeti yet!!!
May 13, 2018, 03:27 PM
I think it's time to fly.

best 3 beers numbered 3-1?

What do you use? Are you happy with it?

I like the Spektrum iX12 but if I had a lot of money I might use JETI just because it looks so cool.

So that's my opinion and it's worth every penny you paid me for it.
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
May 13, 2018, 04:57 PM
I like futaba and the cheapo rxs
May 13, 2018, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperCooper
1. Frsky Taranis Q X7- same openTX system and overall function as X9, but at half the price. This is what I use now, and it is by far the best bang for your buck. 10/10 would suggest, even recievers are about half the cost of that of Spektrum. Did i mention it comes with up to 32 channels, module port, as well as infinite model memory with sd card slot? Get a taranis, you wont regret.
THIS ^

Top teir performance cheaper than you can build/mod yourself.
May 13, 2018, 06:24 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Production JETI model DC-16.mpg (3 min 21 sec)
May 13, 2018, 06:29 PM
Usually comes around to some beating the "Taranis Drum" on threads like this.

I don't disagree about Taranis being a good TX & I know a couple of guys that use them.
It's far from being the most popular TX & I doubt it ever will be.
The programming learning curve turns many off & that's probably why you almost always see Taranis TX's for sale in the classifieds here.
Spektrum is by far the most used TX at the places I fly & one of those places is a club field with over 250 members.
Spektrum is probably the most used radio, & by a wide margin.

BTW, I'm not a Spektrum fan, but I do have a DX6 g2 so I can fly Horizon BNF AS3X planes.
Like I said before "the best radio is whatever works for you".
Last edited by Clive66; May 13, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
May 13, 2018, 10:21 PM
This is your brain on heli's
just my 2 cents. I can't compare Taranis or Jeti because I have never tried those products. I have use a Dx5, then a DX6i, and then a DX18. In the last year I bought a Graupner MZ-24 pro. So I can fairly compare Spektrum and Graupner.

Also, since some of my models are sailplanes, I have drilled pretty deep in to some of the more advanced programming aspects. here is the bottom line:

Graupner is a head with their RX's. Spektrum is well ahead of Graupner in terms of their software functionality.

The problem with Spektrum RX's is that they have become too big for some of the high-end F3X type gliders. Graupner's RX's are more compact and the telemetry is more evolved.

Graupner (IMHO) is deficient in terms of their software. The radio hardware is quite nice but things that you can do easily with the newer DX series are a real struggle with Graupner. They are just now coming out with the MZ-32 which I have been told address the specific issues I have found in my MZ-24 pro but the MZ-32 is a $1000 radio.

Here are some specific issues I found wit my MZ-24 pro:

No DSS: Digital Switch Setup ( sets any gain level for any position of any switch)

Can't move entire functions (like throttle) to different channels. Motor gliders are a real hassle on the MZ-24 where the custom is to run the throttle on a switch. Throttle is normally on CH1 but if you want to have Butterfly landing mode, you have to move the Throttle to CH8 in which case you lose safety features like Throttle cut switch. I was able to develop work-a-rounds but it was a real hassle.

Mix functionality is really lacking. Can only mix Channel to Channel. You can't mix switches or flight functions directly unless it is a canned mix.

On the other hand, the Graupner manual is much more complete than the Spektrum TX manuals which frankly are terrible. I was not able to learn how to use many aspects of my DX18 until I bought the Red-Sailplane programming guide.

If Spektrum would come out with more compact, full telemetry RX's, I would probably drop my Graupner. I have posted that sentiment numerous times. pretty sure Frsky and Jeti RX's are more on a par with Graupner.

If you are just doing simple stuff model-wise then it probably does not matter.
May 13, 2018, 11:15 PM
Lipoly Killer

Radios

I have flown just about all major brands of radios ad only had a problem with one-a Proline with KPS 3 servos. Just the servos were the problem.
All worked fine. I own and fly Spectrum but I have moved to Frsky. The receivers are very reasonable in price and work very well. I have the 9d, 9E and the QX7. I find that I like the QX7 best of all. The ergonomics are excellent and does all that I need and the
Price is right. Opentx is a little daunting at first but gets easy quick.
May 15, 2018, 02:02 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
'Tis a matter of personal preference...

Quick Reply