May 12, 2018, 06:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Let's Fly on Mars...

Very cool, wonder why it took them so long?

Mars Helicopter to Fly on NASA's Next Red Planet Rover Mission

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7121
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2018, 07:46 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Maybe they had to wait for DJI?
May 12, 2018, 10:11 AM
Surprised they can do it at all with the atmospheric pressure being 1% that of Earth. Must have some pretty high head speed, fortunately it weighs a third as much.
May 12, 2018, 10:16 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
That could be why it took so long, just a guess. They may have had to wait for die shrinks and drops in power consumption and faster processing. Maybe even better lipos. I’m guessing better motors too - it’d have to be brushless.
May 12, 2018, 10:20 AM
Heligamist
I have martian landscapes for the sims. I hope that doesn't encounter one of the wind devils Mars has. It doesn't look like it could right itself.
May 12, 2018, 10:29 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krager
Surprised they can do it at all with the atmospheric pressure being 1% that of Earth. Must have some pretty high head speed, fortunately it weighs a third as much.
Actually, I just read the stats posted by NASA. 3000 rpm, coax, highly cambered? (Right term? Correct me) blades, may be fixed pitch. 1.8 kg mass so mane just 600g Martian weight - weight of a 450 sans battery. I’m guessing a third of the mass has to be lipo or some sort of power supply.

Maybe it’d be a 18 hour to (solar) charge for 15 minute flight time. Still be worth it. Pity you can’t fly in real-time, I guess you could if you’re a clairvoyant soothsayer.

Shrug.

I’m interested to see how this pans out.
May 12, 2018, 10:40 AM
That's a lower head speed than I thought it would be. Makes sense though, you want long flight times and you get less losses with lower head speed. I imagine one of those Martian dust devils would really play hell with it.

To put in perspective, flying a heli in the Martian atmosphere is like trying to fly a heli at an altitude of twenty miles on Earth.
May 12, 2018, 10:42 AM
A man who delivers.(packages)
It doesn't look bad, olks
May 12, 2018, 11:10 AM
Didn't catch the video, watched it. They show an actual prototype flying in the giant pressure vessel they test with. You can see it really has to spin up to get off the ground and it's fixed pitch. It's ingenious though, can photograph way more ground way more quickly than a rover. Hopefully they can get good flight times out of it.
May 12, 2018, 11:28 AM
The article I read said the longest flight will be 90 seconds and the first couple of flights at 15 seconds.The fpv will have a slight time delay
May 12, 2018, 11:57 AM
Genius man
Mars looks like a peaceful place to live in
No need to pay rent, bills, tax e.t.c.
May 12, 2018, 02:08 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH88
Very cool, wonder why it took them so long?

Mars Helicopter to Fly on NASA's Next Red Planet Rover Mission

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7121

There have been quite a few fixed wing plane concept developed for Mar's missions.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article...8/10_Te_5/_pdf

A fixed wing plane will have a lot longer range to cover a larger area. However take offs and landings can be an issue. An autonomous rotor wing has some advantages but the duration is definitely shorter and range is much shorter.
May 12, 2018, 02:08 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
Mars looks like a peaceful place to live in
No need to pay rent, bills, tax e.t.c.
No food and no water either. Very peaceful.
May 12, 2018, 02:54 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Denis, I'm pretty sure it'll be taxed in few months:rolleys:
May 12, 2018, 03:13 PM
Heligamist
Just don't fly near Uranus (Somebody had to say it)

Quick Reply