Jul 14, 2018, 10:06 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
I thought about using two RX6R receivers, one in the fuselage and one in the wing. It appears that it's not possible using the jumpers like the old X series receivers. Is this correct?
The ability to choose bind options with jumpers in order to select telemetry/non-telemetry or channel range is not featured on any of the more recent FrSky receivers.

It must be set at bind time by the TX, which requires FrOS, OpenTX 2.2.0 or later or the equivalent version of ER9x.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2018, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
FrSky recommends using the XM+ as the slave receiver. Whatever you use it cannot have telemetry.
I assume he is asking because he wants PWM outputs in two separate places, something that a XM+ won't do. In any case, any SBUS receiver that can operate with telemetry off (which is all X series but not S series) will do equally well as a slave receiver. Even a L9R or R9 series can be used.

As far as I can tell the jumper method for binding is not available with this range, you need to switch telemetry off (when desired) using the transmitter or RF module.
Jul 16, 2018, 04:08 AM
RC pilot by soul
guys,

for some of my jets im looking for a redundant Rx setup for extra RF security, with 8 PWM outputs and one SBUS output which will be used for ch9-ch16.

this is easily obtainable on a single X8R for a single Rx setup.
whats the best way to make a redundant setup with the same capabilities?
what are the options?

thanks.
Jul 16, 2018, 07:07 AM
Slope & Thermal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
On my RX4R receivers, both of them, and my two G-RX6 receivers, there was a coating of some type over the pads that prevented solder from adhering properly. That's why I mentioned it.
Thanks for that posting mpjf01.

Scraping what appeared to be pristine clean soldering points, worked well, soldering my RX6R. The new coating is good to have, but I'd glossed over the "conformal coating craftwork", not having a clue what it was (and I do have had some Corrosion-X for the past year).

The socket orientation on the RX6R is odd. It doesn't fit the way you would expect! (I soldered it in with the cable attached to be sure that the Red/black power was at the correct end of the socket, away from the aerial.) The choice was either to have the socket hanging beyond the edge of the board or on the opposite side of the board, where it adds to the overall width. The case seems configured for the latter.

One thing is for sure. One needs to label all those S-port socket cables, with the receiver name, to be sure of using the right one, if needed at a later time. there are so many socket wiring variations. (I think that I now have eight different types of Frsky receivers.)

Not to put anyone off purchasing. I made a deliberate purchase of EEC-LBT programmed receivers, assuming it was easy to re-flash to Global, so I needed the port.

Ray
Jul 16, 2018, 08:14 AM
@i3dm: Buy an RX8R (https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/rx8r/) as main-receiver and as slave a XM+ (2.4) or a L9R mini (900MHz). Or a RB10: https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/redundancy-bus-10/

Florian
Jul 16, 2018, 09:42 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm
guys,

for some of my jets im looking for a redundant Rx setup for extra RF security, with 8 PWM outputs and one SBUS output which will be used for ch9-ch16.

this is easily obtainable on a single X8R for a single Rx setup.
whats the best way to make a redundant setup with the same capabilities?
what are the options?

thanks.
Are you looking to get all 16ch on PWM eventually?

If so, I'd suggest the RB-20 with a R-XSR primary and XM+ secondary. That gets you 15ch of PWM with redundant RF & power, as well as SBus out. This is the most reliable method as you also get RX battery telemetry and individually fused PWM outputs (Basically a Powerbox at much lower cost, without some of the fancy bits like the display)

For 8ch of PWM, Sbus out and redundancy, a RX8R Pro with XM+ can do this.
Jul 16, 2018, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Dunn

The socket orientation on the RX6R is odd. It doesn't fit the way you would expect! (I soldered it in with the cable attached to be sure that the Red/black power was at the correct end of the socket, away from the aerial.) The choice was either to have the socket hanging beyond the edge of the board or on the opposite side of the board, where it adds to the overall width. The case seems configured for the latter.
The RX6R comes with a case?
Jul 16, 2018, 08:44 PM
It comes fitted with a cardboard cover. That has to be taken off to solder the socket (or wiring) and then it, or some alternative, (re-)installed to hold the foam piece that protects the pressure sensor from light and gives access to ambient air pressure.
Jul 16, 2018, 09:20 PM
Slope & Thermal
Actually that is the G-RX6. God these receivers are confusingly named..
Cardboard cover is a much-needed better description.
In the case of the RX6R a flatpack accessory.
Still useful to protect all that bare metal.
Last edited by Ray Dunn; Jul 16, 2018 at 09:30 PM.
Jul 17, 2018, 05:58 AM
I'm loving these new rx's, I can't get over how small the G-RX6 is with a built in Vario for around 30

I'm now switching radio brands for good.
Jul 17, 2018, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
You should consider carrying some sort of neutral cure electronics grade silicone (methoxy cure silicone is safe for PCBs unlike acetic and oxime cure which will corrode copper) as well, it's really useful and much better than hot glue (though also somewhat more permanent than hot glue). Personally I like the GC electronics #19-155 though anything rated for PCBs is probably going to be similar. I used to use Dow Corning #748 but I wouldn't use it now because it's a lot stickier and stretchier before it sets and harder to shape (makes long strings that get all over everything)
OK - Done. We should have a bunch in a few days. Thanks for the suggestion. Will be handy to have some in the shop too.
Jul 18, 2018, 04:51 PM
For those of us in the US, Aloft currently has these receivers in stock. Order quickly because I bet they sell out the first batch real fast. Thats what usually happens with new receivers from FrSky.
Jul 19, 2018, 12:29 AM
RC pilot by soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Are you looking to get all 16ch on PWM eventually?

If so, I'd suggest the RB-20 with a R-XSR primary and XM+ secondary. That gets you 15ch of PWM with redundant RF & power, as well as SBus out. This is the most reliable method as you also get RX battery telemetry and individually fused PWM outputs (Basically a Powerbox at much lower cost, without some of the fancy bits like the display)

For 8ch of PWM, Sbus out and redundancy, a RX8R Pro with XM+ can do this.
im looking for 8pwm + sbus out eventually.
how does the range of the xm+ compare to lets say X8R which i have at home and can use?
or compare to RX series which supposedly.give 40% more range over X series according to specs.
Jul 19, 2018, 08:02 AM
Hello,

I did a range check with my G-RX6 in my rcrcm Tabu. The distance can you see in the attached picture. The brown field ist about 1.5 m high grass and flowers, so I had no direct line of sight.

Florian
Jul 19, 2018, 08:28 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmao
Hello,

I did a range check with my G-RX6 in my rcrcm Tabu. The distance can you see in the attached picture. The brown field ist about 1.5 m high grass and flowers, so I had no direct line of sight.

Florian
[EDIT]I don't know if there really is a question in your post or that you just want to tell us you did a range check.
If there was... then:[/EDIT]

When doing a range check one should always do this in a way you can repeat it at a later date and expect similar results.
External influences should be kept to a minimum.
For a range check the radio is put in low power mode. There exist no standardization of what that low power exactly is, so you can't compare the range of 2 different brand radio's (maybe not even within the brand). The power is just reduced to a value that is still practical to be done on a reasonable size model airfield.

In this case you're going through 1.5m high grass. Not only is this a strong external influence. It's also an influence that varies dependable on how dry/wet the grass is (I think it's reasonably dry now, which doesn't mean it doesn't contain water). The humidity of the air is also an external influence, but one you can't control.

Then there are things like the Fresnel Zone that influence the range a lot.
At least place the radio on some pedestal that's at least 1.5m high and also the model shouldn't be too low to the ground. Higher is of course better, but becomes impractical. The important thing is to minimize those effects. It's not always necessary to eliminate them.

If you did several range checks with your radio at the same place you should get some feel about what to expect.
Make sure everything is done so there's nothing in between the model and the radio and have them both higher than 1.5m above the ground.

If you wanted to inform us instead of seek info you can ignore this post.
Maybe it's of use to others.
Please don't take this post as a way of lecturing you.
I misread the post as a question at the start and halfway noticed there wasn't any.
After having written what I did already I didn't just want to throw it away.
Last edited by hisroyaldudeness; Jul 19, 2018 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply