Thread Tools
Jul 26, 2018, 07:23 PM
Where is the lift?
cptsnoopy's Avatar
Using a hint from the other thread, I flashed the XJT to firmware 170317 (the newest available) and no change. I suspect it already had that firmware revision installed. Then I flashed the XJT module to the earlier version 141016 dated 2015-01-28 and yay! Now when I bind the RX4R, PWM output is ch1-ch4
I have not tried sBus yet but I can move forward now.

Charlie
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2018, 07:38 PM
Registered User
mpjf01's Avatar
You are now using a version of the XJT firmware that predates the introduction of the transmitter controlled selection of channel numbers/telemetry off - on. I'm sure that we had a discussion on one of these threads a few weeks back about the same issue, wasn't a Multiplex transmitter in that case - Graupner IIRC but could be wrong about that.

It might be that the changes to OpenTx that were made to support the changes to the RF module firmware do not work properly with non-FRSKY PPM, it may be that FRSKY PPM has had something added to support the changes that is incompatible with other brands. Whatever, it is I think its worth reporting it on GIThub for further investigation.

The report would best come from someone affected so that any remedial action can be tested.
Jul 26, 2018, 07:51 PM
Where is the lift?
cptsnoopy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
You are now using a version of the XJT firmware that predates the introduction of the transmitter controlled selection of channel numbers/telemetry off - on. I'm sure that we had a discussion on one of these threads a few weeks back about the same issue, wasn't a Multiplex transmitter in that case - Graupner IIRC but could be wrong about that.

It might be that the changes to OpenTx that were made to support the changes to the RF module firmware do not work properly with non-FRSKY PPM, it may be that FRSKY PPM has had something added to support the changes that is incompatible with other brands. Whatever, it is I think its worth reporting it on GIThub for further investigation.

The report would best come from someone affected so that any remedial action can be tested.
I've not posted on GIThub yet but this is a good cause to start. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Charlie
Jul 26, 2018, 08:08 PM
Where is the lift?
cptsnoopy's Avatar
Tried to find the proper topic to post this info on Github but not having any luck. Is there a thread on GitHub that would be appropriate for this information relating to the XJT firmware?

Charlie
Jul 26, 2018, 10:20 PM
Registered User
mpjf01's Avatar
It may be an OpenTX issue or it may be a FRSKY issue. The OpenTx developers may already know, in any case I would report it here https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues in the first instance.
Jul 27, 2018, 12:22 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Don't think, this is a XJT or OpenTX thing. OpenTX is not involved at all.
Jul 27, 2018, 12:45 AM
Registered User
mpjf01's Avatar
OpenTx now includes the ability to vary the binding options for many receivers. This was introduced in conjunction with a change to the RF firmware in the Transmitters and the XJT module and some receivers. Somehow the two tasks were worked together.

The OpenTx team may have some insights regarding what the issue may be and there's more likely to be a sensible and speedy response from that group than from FRSKY, even if it's only to confirm that it is a FRSKY matter. Why would you wish to discourage CPTSnoopy from taking that course?
Jul 27, 2018, 01:53 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
Why would you wish to discourage CPTSnoopy from taking that course?
I would like to encourage him to evaluate the facts.

In no way OpenTX is involved here. Neither in XJT nor in RX4R. It is definitely a FrSky thing. I am very sure, an OpenTX issue will result in exactly this. Has anyone tried to bind a RX4R, that was previously bound in 1-4ch mode with a PPM controlled XJT? Does RX4R keep the setting, or does it always fall back to a 9-12 default? A 9-12 default is an FrSky issue and should be changed. But maybe 9-12 is a individual case. Eventually FrSky tested this RX4R with a 9-12 setting before delivery, no clue. Other users will not see this issue, if this is true.

The crucial questions are:
- Is there a 9-12 default in RX4R?
- Is there a 9-12 fallback, when RX4R binds with a PPM mode XJT?

Some simple tests will show it, but first CPTSnoopy has to find a TX, where he can bind his RX4R with his XJT in 1-4 mode. Edit: Even a one time bind with someone elses XJT in 1-4 mode will help to answer the questions.
Last edited by Allerhopp; Jul 27, 2018 at 02:05 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 02:13 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerhopp
I would like to encourage him to evaluate the facts.

In no way OpenTX is involved here. Neither in XJT nor in RX4R. It is definitely a FrSky thing. I am very sure, an OpenTX issue will result in exactly this. Has anyone tried to bind a RX4R, that was previously bound in 1-4ch mode with a PPM controlled XJT? Does RX4R keep the setting, or does it always fall back to a 9-12 default? A 9-12 default is an FrSky issue and should be changed. But maybe 9-12 is a individual case. Eventually FrSky tested this RX4R with a 9-12 setting before delivery, no clue. Other users will not see this issue, if this is true.

The crucial questions are:
- Is there a 9-12 default in RX4R?
- Is there a 9-12 fallback, when RX4R binds with a PPM mode XJT?

Some simple tests will show it, but first CPTSnoopy has to find a TX, where he can bind his RX4R with his XJT in 1-4 mode.
You are right. You are both right. I just think that mpjf01 is suggesting to open a ticket to get some feedback. Last year they needed to mimick these bind options that were already introduced in FrOS, so they know how it should work. On the other hand my experience tells me the ticket will get closed immediately with the short text. "not an OpenTX issue". I have had a lot of tickets closed immediately although they turned out to be valid in the end (many still unsolved).

Shouldn't a modern XJT module in an OpenTX radio with its module settings to PPM do exactly the same?
This means that anyone with an XJT-module could test this with their radio.

But it's also very strange because an older OpenTX version that doesn't have these binding options would get in the same troubles as well.

Isn't it a problem with the RX4R that defaults to CH9~12 when no binding options are given on a module that can give binding options?
Most owners of an RX4R also have a modern OpenTX, so they would not notice.
I've only seen posts of people that are using non-Frsky radios.

Another thing...
His problem is solved now by using a firmware without these binding options.
Last edited by hisroyaldudeness; Jul 27, 2018 at 02:19 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 02:24 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisroyaldudeness
Another thing...
His problem is solved now by using a firmware without these binding options.
Good to know. Still a 9-12 default with the newer firmware in PPM mode is not a super smart thing.
Jul 27, 2018, 03:49 AM
Registered User
mpjf01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisroyaldudeness
Shouldn't a modern XJT module in an OpenTX radio with its module settings to PPM do exactly the same?
This means that anyone with an XJT-module could test this with their radio.

But it's also very strange because an older OpenTX version that doesn't have these binding options would get in the same troubles as well.

Isn't it a problem with the RX4R that defaults to CH9~12 when no binding options are given on a module that can give binding options?
Most owners of an RX4R also have a modern OpenTX, so they would not notice.
I've only seen posts of people that are using non-Frsky radios.

Another thing...
His problem is solved now by using a firmware without these binding options.
Some discussion, start here and read more of the thread

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...62&postcount=4

More in this thread

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Turnigy-9x-XJT

As you can see it's not receiver model specific.

My thinking was along these lines. If we assume that these "foreign" transmitters are sending an industry standard PPM signal (if there is such a thing, or at least a common signal) to the XJT module and we know that this is giving at least some users issues with channel selection and if we know that the radios driven by OpenTx work as expected then it seems to me that there is something different about the OpenTx PPM transmission data - different to what others perceive to be the standard. It therefore seems perfectly legitimate to me to refer the issue to the OpenTx developers for comment.
Last edited by mpjf01; Jul 27, 2018 at 04:16 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 04:12 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Here are the temperatures for different supply voltages, measured optical on the surface of the regulator, when a thermal equilibrium was reached. Surround temperature 29C 10am

The regulator is presumably a LP2985. The result is well within the specs. Of course electronic devices should never be burried in thermal isolating materials, a heat dissipation must be guaranteed.

Code:
	6.0V	8.0V	10.0V

RX4R	42C	50C	57C
R-XSR	47C	57C	67C
Jul 27, 2018, 04:45 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
Giving that Frsky has specced it like this:
Code:
RX4R	100 mA
R-XSR	70 mA
Your findings do not coincide.
But I don't believe that the RX4R draws 100 mA. The G-RX8 has a vario and only draws 80 mA.

Your values indicate that the RX4R draws some 65 mA if I can make an estimation.

Although it's not the temperature but the amount of energy that would affect the vario.
A device that has a higher temperature will transfer its energy easier to other devices.

Some thermal insulation between the barometer and the voltage regulator may well be the solution to the drift others are experiencing with the G-RX8.
Jul 27, 2018, 04:53 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
It therefore seems perfectly legitimate to me to refer the issue to the OpenTx developers for comment.
I don't think we actually disagree on anything here.
It's just a very small chance that the ticket survives more than 10 minutes if it is made clear that OpenTx is not involved.
It's also highly improbable that he who has took "that task" upon him is not reading it here already.

But it's him who should create the ticket or anyone else experiencing the same.
I've done what I could given that I don't even own an XJT-module.
Jul 27, 2018, 05:05 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisroyaldudeness
Your values indicate that the RX4R draws some 65 mA if I can make an estimation.
My meter showed 73mA, but it is not calibrated. The difference between the two RX is simply the pcb size imo. The pcb works as heatsink. Btw. it will get hard to insulate the baro, when it is mounted on the same pcb.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FrSky G-RX8 Rx + Vario: Experience? barry d Hand Launch 59 Feb 15, 2018 04:37 PM
Discussion OrangeRx S-FHSS versus FrSky Delta8 Rx MacKaris Radios 2 Jan 05, 2016 04:00 AM
Discussion Cant Bind new X6R Frsky rx to my Frsky module 82ndRCFLYER Radios 7 Apr 19, 2014 05:22 PM
Help! new frsky d8r rx, which port does the rx battery go in? phantom1500 Radios 3 Jan 29, 2011 02:59 AM
Align RX6 Rx, anyone using? hotairflyer Mini Helis 3 Nov 21, 2005 09:28 AM